MIT Admissions Fall 2022

Yes exactly. None the less it’s still disappointing when you are strong applicant even when you have set realistic expectations.

2 Likes

Agreed. A friend of mine was a coach at MIT a few years back.
She said all she could do was to take an ordered list of the athletic applicants that she wanted on the team to the admissions dept. The admissions dept made the final decisions.

4 Likes

I know a handful the potential recruits were accepted in the EA round however the coach has now ghosted her post the regular decision announcement. We don’t know if anyone else in her sport was accepted. She had a long relationship of calls and emails and seeing him at her events. Would have been nice for the coach to send a parting email?? Best of luck or whatever. Kind of cold to ghost her. In my opinion anyway. Waiting now for IVY day any maybe get lucky. Remember to have the MIT coach support in the EA round she was unable to ED or REA at other schools, She was willing to take the chance.

3 Likes

We were fortunate enough to get accepted EA, but I have also heard many kids not get in RD in our sport, after deferred in EA.
We were willing to take the chance EA and it worked out. Kid was willing to attend flagship state school otherwise.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it does work out for some.

I don’t know what MIT tells the coaches about being in contact with applicants that are not accepted. But, ECs are told by MIT to not contact those that were denied admission. Not exactly how I would like it to be, but I understand, to a point.

2 Likes

Hmm… a little different because the ECs speak to the applicant once. A potential recruit speaks to the coach dozens of times as well as meeting in person several times. There was a relationship. But hey when a relationship ends maybe there is nothing else to say. My D22 is already over it. On to the next.

3 Likes

Of course it is different. I was wondering what MIT’s policy is for the coaches.

1 Like

I have to disagree with everyone. Recently year, D3 sports at MIT has become a tie-breaker since too many people applied. In fact, MIT doesn’t get the top academic students in the recent 2 years. I has worried many professors and alumni. That’s why they want SAT back.

1 Like

The D3 athletes at MIT I know of all have a 34+ in ACT (with 36 in Math) and/or 1550+ in SAT (with 800 in Math)+ all A’s in Maths and Sciences. This is the bar for any athlete to get in…even in “non-SAT” years.

3 Likes

Agree with @apster70. All the D3 athletes that I know of, who got in this year, had 1550+ SAT and top of their class. Coach highly recommend the recruits to submit test scores.

4 Likes

Same. My rejected D22 recruited athlete submitted her score (in the range mentioned) Had all the rigor, APs, ECs ect. She was told you had to be able to “get in” without the sport. That said I personally know of a recruited athlete admitted at an IVY that did not have any of those… It depends.

1 Like

Does anyone know if MIT opened the WL platform?

I think when coaches say you have to be able to “get in” without the sport is misleading. Most of the athletic recruits will tell you that they do not get in without coaches support. Yes, their scores are > 50 percentile range, but without the hook, they are just another applicant. In our sport, the only ones that received admissions are high stat kids that scored in the 75 percentile range.

2 Likes

Congratulations to your son! Do you know his ACT Math? I’m always curious if the individual scores count as much as the composite. Thanks and hope he has a wonderful college experience!

Not yet. Still waiting.

1 Like

I meant you needed both. The coaches support and the high stats. I don’t have the insight on who was actually accepted. I heard admissions takes into consideration are you a good fit for MIT even if you get injured or quit your sport? The coaches support helps few and far between. I can’t begin to tell you how many stories I’ve heard from similar recruits. This entire process has been dreadfully painful. My D22 has some good alternate options but I can’t help but think MIT was a pipe dream that could have been avoided if the coaches better managed expectations.

Like you, I’ve heard many similar stories about coaches support not panning out. Luckily for the recruits that I know, they had other options and things worked out.
I think as long as coaches are upfront with the recruits, and recruits have done their research about MIT admissions, then at least disappointments are tempered.

1 Like

36 ACT Math, 800 SAT Math, 800 SAT Subject Math 2. You need perfect Math scores in any standardized tests, plus all A’s in Math and Sciences throughout high school, taking highest level Math courses offered in your school. Not saying whether it’s right or wrong, but it’s just the way MIT rolls

I agree with you on the rigorous courses and As are certainly best.
Not true on the scores. If one needed perfect math scores, the CDS would show that the 25-75th%ile of enrolled students was 800-800 and 36 to 36. MIT definitely looks for more than just scores and perfect scores alone are not nearly enough on their own.

5 Likes