Move in days

<p>I am trying to plan a family vacation before D1 moves in but am confused about the process. I think I understand that there are severals days for moving in but not sure what the protocol is for a freshman. Will she be scheduled to move in on a certain day or is it her choice? If its her choice, is there a reason to move in on the first day or would it be better to wait until day 2 or so? If we wait, then we can have a longer vacation but I don't want her to miss out on any fun events or opportunities to make friends. On the other hand, she doesn't want to be the first to move in and then be alone - even for a day. We are not from VA, so she won't know anyone initially.</p>

<p>You can choose the day. The conventionnal wisdom is that it’s best to come the 1st couple days so you get to know your hall mates etc. However I don’t think that’s very important. My D moved on the 2nd or 3rd day, (I don’t remember) but she never really made friends with her hall mates, only with her roommate who arrived the same day. I certainly wouldn’t change your vacation plan for this. Come when you can.</p>

<p>Thank you - appreciate the response. I am sure that no matter what I plan, as we move closer to the date and she gets in touch with her roommate, everything will change. Not a big deal, we’ll be in Williamsburg so its just a matter of when we drive across the state.</p>