Moving off Campus

Next year I was thinking of moving off campus. My parents were going to look into condo or fixer upper. Can you give recommendations of realtors? Also, any insight they or I should consider? Thanks

well, they should consider how long they’ll keep the property. Will they sell it in 3 years when you graduate or will they have younger kids use it as well?

If your parents want a Realtor’s name, I can share my Realtor’s name in Tuscaloosa. I own 4 properties there.

Is there a thread on here as to off campus housing the good, the bad and the ugly?

@momoffivekids, there are several!

Hopefully this link will work. If not, just search for “off campus” under the search feature in the UA forums: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/search?cat=505&adv=1&search=off+campus

Are students required to move off campus now? I know this was the trend as my son was graduating, but so many more dorms have been built. I know it’s expensive, but you can’t beat the safety and convenience of a dorm, especially if you’re going to have three roommates.

No, not required, @Montegut. Just not guaranteed on-campus housing after freshman year. I think it’s gotten easier to remain, for those who want to, however, now that Presidential is open. And there has been a lot of building off campus as well, so there’s more competition.

The nice thing about some of the newer complexes off campus is that they allow you to sign a single lease even if you have roommates (so there’s no getting stuck paying your roommate’s rent if they break the lease!) in a furnished apartment. You don’t have to move every year or pay to store your stuff over the summer (or move it home).

What works for one student, won’t for another, so it’s nice that there are so many options.

Sounds silly, I know, but as a senior, I like the idea of living in the dorm. Once you graduate in May, you’re out. While off campus, you may be stuck for the summer months. While a lot of kids graduating early, in December, are scrambling to find subleasers for the spring, I wonder what happens with the kids that are in the dorms that graduate in December. Does housing let them out of the semester, or are they obligated to pay for the full year, especially since they are no longer going to be students in the spring if they receive their degrees in December.

I agree with Lucie that what works for one, doesn’t work for another. Just like back when I was a student, my son lived on campus for one year and then was eager to move off campus.

For 2 years he was in a unit that had an inclusive utility package, so the utilities were turned on by the complex and the charges were included with rent, but he still had to worry about buying groceries and cooking for himself.

Now this year he’s in a unit that he had to get all his utilities set up on his own and has to get all the bills paid.

The way I look at it, each is one more step towards handling all the responsibilities he’ll have in the ‘real world’.

Personally I don’t mind the thought of paying for a vacant apartment for a few months after he graduates because 12 months in the apartments he’s chosen is significantly less than 10 months was in the super suite dorm his freshman year.

Wow, there’s that much price difference still? I’ve heard such high numbers on the new complexes, I thought it was a wash to pay for three months empty. Good that there is affordable housing still out there.

I lived in the dorms all four years at ISU. Didn’t want the hassle of cooking or shopping. Worked great for me and then I had to start cooking on my own when I graduated.

All that meant was a lot of pizza, steak, and fast food until I got married. Good I got married or I would be dead now from my diet or other life style choices (late night carousing) as a single. :slight_smile:

I have been looking at off campus housing the past month. Reading reviews and ammenities, distance to school, shuttle service, safe area, etc. Any place I think would work for DS isn’t going to be much cheaper than what we are now paying for the suite style dorm.

I know he will move off campus at some point, but he doesn’t seem to be a rush like so many of the kids this time of the year. I know a number of families have already signed leases for next year. I think we are going to wait a while. Not having to worry about dorms closing at certain times of the year, as an OOS student, would be advantageous.

For our family, we have not found the off-campus housing to be cheaper than the suite-style dorms (in fact, it’s more!). Food is significantly cheaper over the mandatory unlimited meal plan, tho. Also, not having to move out during breaks and having flexibility at summer is/will be useful.

This year my son is living in a 2 bedroom townhome (with a friend from high school that he convinced to transfer to Bama) and the total rent is $895/month, so each is paying $447.50/month + utils, total it comes less than $600/month and $7200/year is significantly less than the $8800 I paid for the dorms. Cheaper housing is out there, but it’s not at the brand new, resort style complexes that are going up and may require a little looking to locate.

Do you still have to have the unlimited meal plan after freshman year? If you can just go down to the smallest one, that would cut costs. I think living on campus can contribute to lower food budget. Of course, it all depends on the student. If they’re going out to the Strip every night, cost will be high, whether they’re in a dorm or off campus. Setting a monthly budget for spending may need to be done. I liked how Bama had the Bama cash option and Dining Dollars. That seemed to keep son on a reasonable budget, as opposed to the unlimited use of a credit card.

I do not know how UA is but I do know that with my oldest two kids moving off campus was not a cheaper alternative when you factor in the requirement of a 12 month lease.

It just seems to be cheaper because you are not paying housing/food in one shot but in monthly buckets. To me it is the same as a dripping faucet versus opening spigot for shorter time/more flow.

I have heard that at UA you can change the meal plan in housing to something lower. Is that right?

I understand the requirement for Freshman unlimited requirement so that incoming people without experience do not buy such a low package that the student is starving. One year on campus gives a good feel.

Montegut - A student can drop to NO meal plan for year 2 and beyond, if desired. “Dining Dollars” are still required - my son uses that when he needs to grab a meal on campus at Chick-Fil-A, etc. He is (or should be) eating most meals at his apartment.

@jrcsmom Is the townhouse your son lives in within walking distance to campus?

As an OOS parent, who won’t be on campus again until son leaves at the end of the school year, we are relying on what I can find on the internet. Also, DS does not have a car and has to depend on available transportation.

^…and, important to note that you can UPgrade (choose a higher/more) mealplan, but not downgrade mealplans throughout the year: what you choose for Fall is what you are stuck with for Spring (if it’s too much/many meals), so the advice of many on CC has been to either choose no meal plan for 2nd year (and beyond), or the lowest one and go from there. Choose wisely!
…and, one last point, you do not need to live on campus to purchase a mealplan, so this can help those students who live off campus, but still haven’t mastered cooking/shopping/budgets. :wink:

@laralei it’s not quick walking distance, but it is walking distance because when I was visiting over homecoming weekend he said it was a hassle to try to drive, so he made his poor, out of shape mom with bad knees walk to campus both on Friday night and again on Saturday for the game. He generally rides his bike to campus for classes.

Mine was off campus starting her second year at one of the newer resort style places that had furnished furniture. While it is “walking distance”, she had 2 days of late classes so we ended up buying a parking pass. This year she is in a much smaller, older complex that is even closer to campus and no parking pass. She loves it! Since she does take summer classes at UA, stays for the Iron Bowl (we come down for it as well for the entire week), has sorority recruitment workshop and recruitment, it is very nice for her to have a place to stay and not have to worry about couch surfing.

As far as buying, it can be very advantagous, even if for only 3 years. Even for tax purposes, it can really help some parents on their taxes. Plus, as far as repairs, yes, they are on you but you can fix it to suit your wants/needs and not just bandaid fixes from management companies use since they know it is for college students.