My additional rec hasn't come in yet, and the ED deadline is today! Will my application be moved to RD?

I am applying to UPenn ED and I asked a mentor I had to write an optional additional rec. However, he still hasn’t done it and the deadline is today. What will happen if he doesn’t submit it until after Nov. 1st? Will my application be moved to the RD pool? And assuming I still stay in the ED pool, would UPenn consider his rec if it’s late?

Thanks for any responses.

Not familiar with UPenn specifically, but I highly doubt that a late supplemental LoR is going to impact ED status. In fact, I would assume that the AO’s will consider it as long as it comes in before at least the first read.

1 Like

If the required LORs are in, then you’re good.

If the second one is required (the want a teacher or other person) and you are not in, you miss the deadline.

So yes. But if you have two teachers in Common for other schools, just use those. and you’ll be good.

But it would be smart to call and ask - perhaps there’s leeway on the LOR timewise as @bksquared noted - and that would get you breathing room.

Good luck.

No

Depends on how late. Next week? Yes. Next month? No.

No, you won’t be moved to the RD pool. But, no one here can tell you for sure whether the late LOR will be considered. Aside from the counselor recommendation, Penn only requires one LOR. When they download your application, if the required LOR is already there then they will likely consider your file complete and ready for review.

One thing I know from having gone through this process twice is they start working through applications very quickly, often downloading the application file within 24-48 hours. My child has already been assigned alumni conversations/interviews so application review is underway. Hopefully, your mentor can submit the letter today. Best of luck to you!

1 Like

Clarification: in addition to the school report/counselor recommendation, Penn requires two LORs, at least one of which must be from a teacher.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.