My Chances at VT?

<p>Ohio resident
Father is an alumni
SAT Math: 660
SAT Verbal: 690
SAT Writing: 640 (11 on the essay)
Weighted GPA 3.78
Taken a tough course schedule, lots of honors courses and currently taking AP Chemistry and AP Literature
National Honor Society
Treasurer of Mu Alpha Theta
Lots of community service and work experience
decent to strong recomendations</p>

<p>Please chance me!</p>

<p>whats your unwieghted GPA?
anyway...im pretty positive your in....</p>

<p>honestly i have no idea....</p>

<p>any one else?</p>

<p>definitely in</p>

<p>Welcome to tech.</p>

<p>Having parents as an alumni helps a lot too. Congrats early on getting accepted :)</p>

<p>Sweet....thx guys I hope your right</p>

<p>I'm still really nervous....I wish I could switch back to ED</p>

<p>Anyone else have an opinion....?</p>

<p>I thought VT didn't do teacher recs?</p>

<p>I sent them in any way.... can't hurt right?</p>

<p>Will it help me that i am a legacy? Would I get in if I wasn't one (or will i even get in with legacy status)?</p>

<p>Virginia Tech will take legacy into the same consideration as first generation college student or minority status as I've been told. Also from the guidance councilors that have had years of experience with Tech in state have told us that teacher recommendations really are not read by Tech. They will only read your essays and recommendations if you have unusual circumstances. They are a <em>very</em> stats oriented school.</p>

<p>Honestly it depends on your major if you get in or not. I'm looking at statistics from a Northern Virginia high school (which is the most competitive for admission in terms of in state students) and you are about average when compared to in state students. This however assumes that you would have gotten zero weight on honors courses and .5 on your AP courses which I doubt you school follows.</p>

<p>If you are applying to CAUS, I'd say denied because the average for that school is a 4.0+ GPA with several AP and honors courses and a very high SAT score. Engineering would be a maybe depending on how your GPA is weighted and how rigorous your math courses are. Other majors I think you would not have too much trouble getting into.</p>

<p>i am applying engineering. My math and sciecne courses are pretty difficult (four years of math and now taking calculus, five years of science now taking anatomy and Ap chemistry) </p>

<p>Also, does it help that my dad was in the engineering program, does that make me like a dual legacy?</p>

<p>BTW my gpa isn't that weighted, it would be around 3.5 UW. My school does .5 for honors and 1 for ap, but it is also a really competitive school. My school pretty much consists of a bunch of smart, rich kids from prodigious families (of which im not really one). Ne way, we send alot of kids to top schools.</p>

<p>Would it help if my dad called/wrote/donated?</p>

<p>And lastly, they won't be mad that i sent in rec letters will they?</p>

<p>PS i wrote a pretty tight essay in the personal statement thingy...</p>

<p>I mean for real, if any one has any advice as to what I could do to help me get in, please let me know.
I'm like extremely desperate to get in, its kinda pathetic....</p>

<p>Unless your dad is someone really important to the school, I don't think it'll do much good. They have so many people I don't see why they'd give too much weight with it. The weights do affect it a lot, because from the sound of it you seem to be borderline due to the weighting with Northern Virginian stats. Depending on if your school gives a class rank, then you may get a saving grace from that depending on how good your ranking is.</p>

<p>Northern Virginian schools are competitive as well. My high school this year has over 650 in the graduating class and the top 10 percentile has a 3.8+ with an average of 2 or more AP courses and honors.</p>

<p>Since Virginia Tech does not make the admissions process personal at all, especially in contrast to other schools, I doubt much can be done but to take a deep breath and just wait it out. In case your curious and want to do some figuring, I can give you some approximate stats. I can't give you any definite statistic in terms of numbers from the school because by doing so I'd be breaking agreements I'm not allowed to be breaking. The GPA average was approximately a 3.7, the "magic number" seemed to be a 3.5 with very few exceptions, and the average SAT was around a 1300. This is for the school as a whole.</p>

<p>Also so you know, this forum doesn't have nearly as many visitors as say the general areas of the site. Very rarely will you get a response in less then an hour around here.</p>

<p>wait....why do u keep talking about northern virginian stats? i'm from ohio.... </p>

<p>And no, my school doens't rank, if they did i'd be top quarter</p>

<p><i can't="" give="" you="" any="" definite="" statistic="" in="" terms="" of="" numbers="" from="" the="" school="" because="" by="" doing="" so="" i'd="" be="" breaking="" agreements="" i'm="" not="" allowed="" to="" breaking.=""> Don't know what your talking about here....want to PM me? (if its private)</i></p><i can't="" give="" you="" any="" definite="" statistic="" in="" terms="" of="" numbers="" from="" the="" school="" because="" by="" doing="" so="" i'd="" be="" breaking="" agreements="" i'm="" not="" allowed="" to="" breaking.="">

<p>So, with the magic 3.5, which i have, and the 1300, which i have, what is there that could be holding me back...?</p>

<p><also so="" you="" know,="" this="" forum="" doesn't="" have="" nearly="" as="" many="" visitors="" say="" the="" general="" areas="" of="" site.="" very="" rarely="" will="" get="" a="" response="" in="" less="" then="" an="" hour="" around="" here.=""> First of all, it should, as VT is so much cooler than all the ivies and such :D, second thank you very much for responding to my anxious gripes..... :)</also></p>
</i>

<p>I keep talking about Northern Virginia stats because thats the most definite statistics I can give you that I have access to. Also they tend to be on the higher scale of in state students and will be closer to what out of state students will have to attain since Virginia Tech is required by the state government to accept a good portion of in state students. I don't know the exact percentage off the top of my head.</p>

<p>I meant that these statistics are not public available and that if I gave you anything too specific I'd be breaking a confidentiality agreement. I'm only allowed to look at it and interpret it with no definite averages. I can only give approximations.</p>