National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>^^Yes, it is automatic if you fulfill all of the qualifications: </p>

<p>

</code></pre>

<p>How about asking your GC what your current gpa is that she reported, remember it can be weighted. We have had members not mark Hispanic and have their GCs contact NHRP for the first time in the fall of sr year, so you should still have time to make corrections if necessary.</p>

<p>Happy to report that my GC called me to confirmed that my son received this honor</p>

<p>Cheers to all!</p>

<p>D called down to guidance yesterday on Long Island (with a 192 PSAT). GPA is currently an 89.86—with only sophomore grades, probably an 89.36. With final grades for junior year, hoping to break 90. Will this be enough for scholar? Anyone know the correct conversion to a 4.0 scale?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>^My guess is 90 = 3.6. But that’s just figuring that 90/100 = .9 and .9 x 4 = 3.6.</p>

<p>We are new to this forum and just wanted to say that it has already been extremely helpful. Our daughter is finishing up junior year and we learned about the National Hispanic Recognition award mainly thru the posts on this site. Her score on the PSAT qualifies her as does her GPA. I will say that her GC had absolutely no idea about this recognition. In addition, the school could never locate the form, but after contacting the college board rep I was able to get them to email the form to the GC. Though I felt like a total pest, my efforts finally paid off and I am happy to report that the completed form is now officially in the college board hands! My point in all of this being that you have to find sites/resources like this on your OWN! Had we not learned about this program from CC, I believe we may have missed out on what promises to be a valuable opportunity and don’t want this to happen to other kids who qualify. If you meet the cut-off and your school did not receive/can not find the form, email the college board–they have been more than helpful and responsive. Thanks entomom and all of the contributors–I hope to learn much from your experiences as our family begins the college search journey.</p>

<p>Welcome to CC and the Hispanic Students forum luli!</p>

<p>I’m so glad you found us and congratulations to your D for qualifying for NHRP. I had the exact same experience when I started researching college admissions for my D1 who is graduating from college this weekend. CC is the closest thing I’ve found to a central resource for Hispanic applicants, and with each new member we gain, it becomes even more valuable. My youngest just finished the college admissions process, but I’ll stick around, mainly for this and the Premed forum (D1 will be applying to med school next year). It’s great that we’re getting so many new members for the upcoming fall cycle, I’m excited to follow you all through the process!</p>

<p>Thanks for the response :slight_smile:
I was called down earlier today.</p>

<p>However, what is the difference between a full-fledged Scholar and an Honorable Mention?
My GPA currently is high enough to be a scholar, but come the beginning of senior year with a newly calculated GPA, I’m not sure it would qualify.</p>

<p>I got a 195 and Florida’s cutoff was 193 this year (courtesy PF collegeboard) but I havent heard anything from my gc.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Most scholarships are only for Scholar designation. Search in the NHRP scholarship thread for Honorable mention, there might be a couple of schools that give scholarships. As far as I know, this is the only time they check your gpa even though the official notification doesn’t come out until later.</p>

<p>@jason, It sounds like NHRP has notified most GCs. If you don’t hear anything by the end of the week, I’d recommend going to your GC and have them email NHRP.</p>

<p>p.s. I’m off now for D1s college graduation, yipeee! I’ll be back in a few days, hope many more students are notified by then!</p>

<p>So even if my GPA drops, I’ll still qualify? Or for borderline cases, they might ask for an updated GPA later?
Thank you for the responses!</p>

<p>My D got called down to GC office on Thursday, signed and had form certified. Yay! She is also a student athlete, and will be attending several recruiting events this summer where D1 coaches will be present - and after July 1, will be able to approach her and start their own recruitment process. Ideally, she’d like to go to a D1 athletic school with a strong academic program so she can continue the 2 things she loves most - playing her sport and excelling academically. Any advice about how to help her make this happen?</p>

<p>mom23dds</p>

<p>There is an additional speciality admission forum here on cc regarding athletes. Here is the link to that forum: [Athletic</a> Recruits - College Confidential](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/athletic-recruits/]Athletic”>Athletic Recruits - College Confidential Forums)</p>

<p>The athletes forum will have more info on being a recruited athlete than here in this forum. I would read the forum for info on the recruit.</p>

<p>My son has not heard anything about NHRP yet although he did get the info about National Merit and the form to fill out. His GPA is 4.0 and his PSAT was aroung 210. I would think he should have qualified. When do Juniors get informed?</p>

<p>Our dd received her letter almost two weeks ago, but prior to that I contacted them and this is what I was told when I e-mailed <a href="mailto:NHRP@Collegeboard.org">NHRP@Collegeboard.org</a>:</p>

<p>Thank you for contacting us. Guidance counselors of qualified students should receive their NHRP forms by the beginning of June. Please feel free to contact us again at that time if you believe your daughter qualifies but does not receive a form.</p>

<p>Sincerely, </p>

<p>Palmer Harned
Program Associate
National Recognition and Scholarship Programs
The College Board
877.358.6777 (office)</p>

<p>Our GC also received the letter last week but didn’t tell anyone (either my DD or me, who had asked that she contact one of us when she received it). She’s waiting for final grades before submitting the form (daughter is clearly qualified as a Scholar and not in danger of losing that qualification).</p>

<p>There doesn’t seem to be a good communication to the GCs about the requirements from Collegeboard…</p>

<p>Me and my GC filled out the form today and she faxed it while I sat there (she’s awesome)! Is that it? I meet all the qualifications on the list (GPA, PSAT score, Ethnicity, Citizen, etc), is there anything else? Or am I safe to say I’m an NHRS?</p>

<p>I don’t remember what my actual score was – I must have it lying around somewhere – but I’m pretty sure I got within the 96th percentile…should that be good enough?</p>

<p>Wow! I just found it…got a 198 and I live in Georgia. Should that do the trick?</p>

<p>Hi, I just got noticed that I’m a NHRP finalist. I wanted to know how important this is during the application process next year. Or how much, if at all, this will help me. I’m applying to top 20 schools mainly…</p>

<p>Are there any former NHRP students who felt that their recognition helped them? If so how?</p>

<p>THanks!</p>

<p>^^I’d say it depends. It depends on the college, it depends on other factors within the Hispanic designation, and it depends on the rest of your application.</p>

<p>It’s going to matter to top 20 schools less than to less selective schools because they tend to have many highly qualified applicants, including Hispanics. And even within selective colleges, it depends on other factors such as location. For instance, my D2s was accepted to Carleton and Pomona, she received a better need based FA package plus a small merit scholarship for NHRP from Carleton. I think she got preferred packaging at Carleton as they have a harder time recruiting Hispanic students due to their Midwest, relatively rural location compared to Pomona in SoCal.</p>

<p>Depending on your SES, first gen, overcoming adversity, etc., NHRP will stand out more or less. IMO NHRP is good to have on your application, but for a middle class applicant to selective colleges, it is not necessarily going to be a major accomplishment.</p>

<p>NHRP does bring you to the attention of participating schools and that’s a plus. And several schools give generous merit scholarships, which while they may not be your first choice, can provide admissions safties and financially affordable options in an increasingly unpredictable college admissions climate.</p>