National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>…and her PSAT was 192. 184 was the cut off. To be continued. My instinct was to check up on whether her gpa had actually been updated. But when the head of guidance said she took care of it I didn’t go any further. Oh well!</p>

<p>SAT/ACT have nothing to do with NHRP. Both of my kids got NHRP and neither had to send in their SAT like you have to for NMS.</p>

<p>I still have not received any sort of official recognition from the College Board, but I have received letters from schools recognizing my status as a NHS and offering scholarship possibilities. Anyone else have the same happen to them? Should I do anything or just wait?</p>

<p>I’m in Georgia, btw.</p>

<p>I heard the same thing from another member. They emailed NHRP last week and got confirmation that they were a scholar and were told that letters were going out to the homes of students last week. </p>

<p>I’d send them an email asking about your status and keep an eye out for the letter this week.</p>

<p>My DD got a letter from the college board today congratulating her on being named an nhrp scholar. I almost did not look at it as it kind of looked like other college junk mail! Anyway they stated
that her high school has been notified and that they will give her the certificate. So check your mail as it likely to come this week. FYI we live in the Midwest.</p>

<p>We have a question about the National Hispanic Scholar Program. We have done a little research on the CollegeBoard website about this Program. So we know the basic requirements. But we have a few questions. </p>

<p>Our daughter recently took the PSAT as a junior. When are the PSAT scores available? </p>

<p>Could anyone tell us what the National Hispanic Scholar Program cutoff was for West Virginia? If the numbers are not available this year, the numbers for last year should suffice for now. Where are the cutoff numbers listed?</p>

<p>She also took the SAT for the first time and did quite well. Does she have to send her scores to anyone to be considered for this program and any associated scholarships?</p>

<p>WVDad: PSAT scores are released directly to schools for distribution to students (at least at my daughter’s school, which administers the test); ours were not reviewed with students until early January, although I believe the schools received them sooner, in November or December. </p>

<p>The National Hispanic Recognition program relies solely on the junior year PSAT score (not the SAT), then ethnicity and GPA verification by the school counselor, in late Spring of the following year (2012 for your child). Students with GPAs between 3.0 and 3.49 are considered Honorable Mentions, while over 3.5 are considered Scholars. Weighted GPAs should be reported by your school’s counselor. These announcements are not then made to schools until the next fall (so this is a yearlong process). If you read through the threads on this forum, you’ll see that NHRP recipients are just now receiving these recognitions in the mail this week.</p>

<p>The cutoffs for this immediate past year were:
Here are the 2011 cutoff scores for each region, straight from the College Board.
Region 1 - New England - 184
Region 2 - Mid Atlantic - 184
Region 3 - South - 193
Region 4 - Southwest - 182
Region 5 - Midwest - 193
Region 6 - West - 184</p>

<p>Best wishes to you on your journey!</p>

<p>I finally got my letter earlier this week. Haha.</p>

<p>Is there an updated list to the list in post 129?</p>

<p>Cutoffs are actually by Region, not state. </p>

<p>The numbers in the above post #427 are the official cutoffs for the Class of 2011. While many were notified as NHRP scholars, I’m afraid no one has called NHRP to get the official cutoffs for the Class of 2012. For the Class of 2013, who just got their PSAT scores back, the cutoffs will come out in about April 2012.</p>

<p>Does anyone have historical cutoff scores by region by year since 2008, similar to post 129?</p>

<p>Are there any stats on how many students each year, out of the top 5000 become scholars, which colleges they attend and how many of them are accepted by top universities? I also have been unable to find any official NHRP link stating there is a 3.5 GPA requirement to be a scholar. Do people know this by word of mouth or is there an official link with this information? I found a lot of this type of information on the NMFs and NAFs in the NMSC report, but nothing on NHRP. </p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Perazziman:</p>

<p>Back in 2009/2010 there was documentation on collegeboard’s site that gave 3.5 as the gpa requirement. I don’t have time to research that again but it has generally been the practice. I would call college board. As far as stats i have never seen any and it would be a great research project. If you do find them could you please post it here.</p>

<p>As far as gpa, I don’t know about the validity of this site:</p>

<p>[National</a> Merit Scholarships](<a href=“http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html]National”>http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html)</p>

<p>But it gives the same information stated previously in this thread. If you want an official answer, you can call NHRP directly.</p>

<p>I have never seen numbers of where NHRPs are accepted or where they attend. If it is collected, the information would need to come from the individual colleges, because I know that neither of my kids was ever asked by NHRP where they were accepted or matriculated.</p>

<p>^Thank you both entomom & itsv. I was hoping there was something equivalent to what is contained in this report on National Achievement Scholars:</p>

<p><a href=“http://nationalmerit.org/annual_report.pdf[/url]”>http://nationalmerit.org/annual_report.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Are there any stats on the number of Hispanics/ African Americans who are also National Merit semifinalist/ finalists?</p>

<p>An interesting discussion on NMSF surnames on Steve Sailer’s iSteve Blog.</p>

<p>Perazziman, I think National Hispanic doesn’t have a similar report, because there are no scholarships directly associated with it, as both Merit and Achievement do. While some individual colleges may offer merit based on NHRP, it’s not a program administered by the NMSQT folks.</p>

<p>It is definitely true about scholar designation needing a 3.5 gpa. If you meet the PSAT cutoff, but have a lower gap, you will be designated honorable mention.</p>

<p>@uskoolfish:</p>

<p>I was wondering how many of the 5000 were scholars? How many of those scholars were NMSFs? I was hoping to compare these numbers with how many Hispanics were accepted at top schools, to get an idea of how competitive the pool was.</p>

<p>By the way, I have seen some articles suggest that URMs form about 3% of the National Merit Semifinalist population. In other words, about 500 each year. I was trying to verify this estimate.</p>

<p>Perazziman–Not sure how all these calculations will help you determine anything concrete, but good luck! Overall, I think that some schools give more weight than others to the National Hispanic Recognition program, but that it would be very hard to actually quanitfy it.</p>

<p>It is hard to make an exacting determination of its importance to some schools vs. others or how much it will influence a final decision of acceptance, but I would say that some schools actively pursue these students and some do not. Obviously schools that offer special Hispanic recognition scholarships give it the most weight. For some of those schools you need to be a scholar; for others, scholars and honorable mention are lumped together for consideration. I would say that about 5 schools contacted D and mentioned a specific scholarship that she was qualified for.</p>

<p>D was also contacted by many other schools and congratulated for her accomplishment and designation as a scholar. No additional scholarship was offered by these schools, but she was encouraged to apply and become part of their “diverse” community. There was a wide range of schools in that category, from ivies on down. I would assume that if she applied to those schools her application would have gotten a bump because of the Hispanic Recognition program. How much that would help is hard to say and would be impossible to measure.</p>

<p>D was accepted into her ED school (NYU). We were never contacted by them regarding National Hispanic Scholar, but it was on her resume and may have been mentioned in her guidance letter of recommendation. NYU takes a holistic approach to reviewing applicants and she submitted an art portfolio which accounted for 50% of her admittance. So it is very hard to qualify if Hispanic Scholar was at all important when coupled with EC’s, grades, scores and letters of recommendation, etc. Her EC’s were in music, drama, art and student government primarily, so they were not reflective of her Hispanic background.</p>

<p>Since the Nat’l Hispanic Recognition Program acknowledges scores that are 20 or 30 points lower than National Merit Semifinalist, if one is both, then they are on the highest wrung of National Hispanic students. Obviously that will be a plus, but it would be hard to quanitify that with figures.</p>