National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>I finally stopped being patient and called NHRP. Sure enough, ds has not been confirmed by his HS. Grrrrr. Guess who my next e-mail is going to?</p>

<p>And, it’s taken care of. :D</p>

<p>Do y’all think he’ll miss out on scholarship or fly-in opportunities because of the delay in his getting named?</p>

<p>Was wondering if and how Hon Mention status could still help admissions/financial -wise (as opposed to Scholar status) or did son just miss out. We know that scholar status would have helped. Son missed on gpa but did get NMSF (1/3rd of his priv school gets NMSF). Besides GPS, scores are good SAT 2290; subject test avgs 770+ , 4-5s APs. We plan on listing the Hon Mention recognition indication. Wondering if there was anything we should be doing or looking out for?</p>

<p>Hi Orlandofit, congratulations to you and your daughter. From what I have heard there are not too many NH Scholars who are also NM Scholars, so this will be a plus. The fact that she is interested in engineering could also be a positive factor, since engineering is usually dominated by men. </p>

<p>I believe, as long as she has taken a rigorous course load in high school, especially in junior year, and has good grades, combined with good standardized test scores, it will be most important. Has she take her SAT subject tests?</p>

<p>Hi Lonestarxx, Those are some pretty strong AP and standardized test scores. There are some private schools that give deflationary grades and or do not issue weighted GPAs. It seems as though your child is attending one of them. I believe the NHRP Hon mention will at the very least confirm to the colleges that your counselor agrees you meet the NHRP definition of a hispanic. So, in that sense it could be helpful, right?</p>

<p>Thank you Perraziman! Yes, she took the subject already and got close to 700 on physics and math. She has taken over 20 AP classes…she just earned AP honors…She is also a Ballerina and that is her reason for choosing Columbia over MIT…she wants to be able to minor in Dance and be involved in Ballet and the arts in NYC. exciting but so much to think about. We always felt Ivy league would be a long shot but now seems like a possibilty for her…are there specific scholarships for female hispanic engineers as well? what do you all feel about EA?</p>

<p>Orlando, she sounds like a great applicant! EA is non-binding and a good way to go. Some schools, such as Yale, are SCEA, which means, while non-binding, you can’t apply to any other school EA. The choice is yours. :)</p>

<p>That said, getting less than a 700 on the subject tests seems a bit low for the Ivies when taken in the context of the rest of her profile. Do others agree?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Since this is a little confusing, Columbia is ED, not EA.</p>

<p>yds, You are right it is preferable if the scores are above 700, especially in math for applicants to engineering, but even above 670 could be acceptable in a holistic process, right? </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Can you share, which courses did she take in junior year? Also what were her AP test scores and test grades on those courses in junior year? It will give us a much better sense of the rigor in her course work and performance in junior year. I believe junior year performance is considered the most important factor in the admissions process by many top colleges.</p>

<p>thanks,</p>

<p>**Moderator Note: **</p>

<p>Please reserve this thread for discussions of NHRP so that it can be a resource to future students. </p>

<p>Discuss other topics either on a New Thread or on the Class of 2017 Discussion thread.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>please enlighten me as i am new to CC today. My S received a 212 on PSAT and is hispanic, from Florida. However, I have not heard anything until reading these posts about the national hispanic recognition program. He is a current senior. 3.9 UW GPA; 2210 on SAT…#1 or #2 in a class of about 400 the first 3 years of high school, AP scholar with distinction…what do I need to do to follow up on this NHRP?</p>

<p>^Your S should qualify as NHRP cutoffs are all below 200.</p>

<p>Have your S talk to his GC tomorrow and have them call NHRP (see post #1 for the website). The GC should be able to fill out everything online (see post #538); they need to give NHRP his gpa and verify that he is Hispanic.</p>

<p>freshman she took; biology (2) and Human Geography (3)
sophomore; chemistry (3) world history(4)
Junior ; english Lit (4), U.S history (4), Psychology(5), Physics B(4), Stats (4) art history (4)
Senior Calculus (BC), Physics C, Environmental Science, Computer Science, English Lit
I few others I cant remember.
For Columbia, she does want to make it her #1 school and commit to it above all others…is this a good idea
how unusual is it for National Hispanic Merit scholar to also be a National Merit Scholar?
she is retaking the subject test and SAT in Nov (current SAT 1400)
Thanks you guys! I’m new to all of this.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I don’t know the percentage that make both, but the cutoffs are pretty different, in the 180s &190s for NHRP vs. just over 200 to 220 for NMS.</p>

<p>[Orlandofit, for your other questions and some comments, please go to the Class of 2017 Discussion thread at the top of the forum and we can continue the discussion there.]</p>

<p>does anyone have a list of schools who offered NHRP scholarships last year?</p>

<p>^Go to the list of threads and on the first page you’ll see one about Colleges offering Scholarships to NHRP.</p>

<p>Got the letter in the mail on NHRP scholar today, confirming what the school counselor had said.</p>

<p>Question: If our school filled out the information for NHRP, would we have found out by now? I need to know if I should bug my GC or not :P</p>

<p>First report of HS notification this year was 8/21, 3 wks ago. I think it’s OK to ask your GC if they got official word of your award from NRHP yet.</p>

<p>benf, I know it feels like you’re nagging, but it’s their job. Here’s what I wrote to ds’s gc, after he asked two different times, last spring and then at the end of the summer right before school started.</p>

<p>"Dear GC,</p>

<p>(DS) has not received notification that he was named a National Hispanic Scholar although we know that he’s eligible. I have friends whose kids are at other schools who have received their letters, and I’m wondering whether there’s something (ds) or I need to do on our end.</p>

<p>Thanks so much,
Yds"</p>

<p>This accomplishes three things 1) lets them know you know what you’re talking about; 2) reminds them to follow-up in a non-accusatory way; 3) lets them know you’re willing to do your part (though we know there’s nothing more for you to do; the school/gc needs to pick it up!).</p>

<p>Within the hour, ds’s gc had e-mailed me back that she had called and gotten it taken care of. :)</p>