National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>Thanks for the link to the diversity weekend thread. My son was invited to the WUSTL discovery weekend and has had some phone calls from other universities exploring his interest so there may be more. I found a thread just on this discovery weekend on the WUSTL here. You are right about the counselors; I encourage my son to be friendly and I offer my services as a translator for the PTA and counseling department. Still, it really irks me when the school is about 30% hispanic to see how little is done to help immigrant parents understand the system. The assumption is that since we have such a great state university system there is no need to look much beyond the local schools.</p>

<p>Sam Clare, </p>

<p>Thanks for the info. WUSTL does send a ton of mailing to us, just about everyday and since son has no interest, I have tossed them. Right now my DS is fighting me on diversity weekend visits during school because he just spent the month at Northwestern as part of LEAD SBI and he says its too hard to miss school (which I know it is because when he has missed his teachers have yelled at him.)</p>

<p>Keep up the good work for your local high school. Please encourage your local high school latino students to apply to LEAD. LEAD has told me that they wish they had more Latino students apply from west of the mississippi so I told them that I would volunteer to recruit from my area. It was a wonderful experience according to my DS and they give a huge scholarship to attend. Plus the college that you attend waives the application fee and they are eligible for other scholarships. pm if you would like more info.</p>

<p>anyone hear about this yet?</p>

<p>Students were notified about NHRP in the late spring (see the earlier pages of this thread). If you haven’t heard but think you qualify, talk to your GC or give NHRP a call. Several posters have gotten the recognition even though they didn’t initially mark Hispanic on their PSAT. It is kinda late, but it’s worth a try.</p>

<p>Hi everyone,</p>

<p>For those of you who didn’t mark Hispanic/Latino on the exam in October, my guidance counselor just got the form faxed to her today (she had contacted them twice since June). I filled it out and she faxed it back to them, so I guess it’s still not too late to contact them.</p>

<p>Good luck !</p>

<p>^^^Thanks for the update az, great news!</p>

<p>yeah, my GC talked to me. but i want to know when we know if we are the scholar. (like when we get the award)</p>

<p>the college board website says that people get an official letter in mid-september</p>

<p>is it mid september yet? lol</p>

<p>when do i get my official award -_-</p>

<p>idk im waiting too, you’d think that 208 is definitely good enough</p>

<p>I looked on past threads and it looked like the national hispanic scholars recieved the awards the week after the national merit semifinalists were notified. So hopefully next Monday?</p>

<p>My son received his official letter from the College Board that he was selected as a National Hispanic Scholar. Whew!</p>

<p>Im in TX and I got mine!!!</p>

<p>I’m in Northern Cal just got mine today.</p>

<p>Does the student receive the letter or do they receive it through the guidance counselor. My D was notified in the spring through her GC that she qualified but we haven’t heard anything since. I contacted the GC in early Sept and nothing. Are they notified either way?</p>

<p>Ds got a letter in the mail. His GC told me this week that they had rcv’d a letter and certificate in the office, but ds hasn’t said anything about receiving it. I don’t know whether there’s a separate letter for the Honorable Mention status, or whether you just assume you didn’t make the next cut if you don’t get anything. But there’s no mystery involved as the only other criteria, I believe, besides the PSAT score (which apparently your dd met) is a GPA of 3.5, and she should know whether she hit that threshold. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thank you Youdon’tsay . Her GPA is 3.8 so hopefully she will get a letter. The GC has been busy with football season as well so maybe his thoughts are elsewhere. I will have her go in to see him.</p>

<p>When I emailed them Collegeboard told me that if you were notified in the spring, you are a NHRP Scholar or Honorable Mention. You just had to sign that verification thing saying “I am Hispanic and here’s my transcript”.</p>

<p>Obviously if you aren’t Hispanic, you’re thrown out, but if you are, they simply look to see if your GPA is higher than 3.0. If it is, you’re a scholar, if not, you’re honorable mention.</p>

<p>Got it in the mail! yeahh.</p>