National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>It sounds correct that the state cutoffs don’t change much between years. The highest I’ve seen is in the mid-190s, but those were for the states that are traditionally higher for NMS as well. In the 180s sounds more in the range for ID.</p>

<p>The minimum score for NHRP in Texas last year was 182. My D just got her results back and she scored a 191, so I am hopeful that the minimum for 2010-2011 school year won’t move that much (usually only a 1-2 pts either way). We’re really pumped about this because there are great scholarships available if you look. Our older daughter was a NHRP 2 years ago and currently attends the University of Arizona on their program. Here scholarship pays for roughly 100% of OOS tuition & fees or roughly 2/3rds of her total costs.</p>

<p>Congrats, KatyDad! Make sure to check out the list of schools we’ve compiled with lesser-known schools that don’t advertise their awards.</p>

<p>Congratulations to your D, KatyDad! </p>

<p>And it’s wonderful that your older D is enjoying UA! We visited friends in Tuscon one spring break and unfortunately, my D2 who is a also a current jr and likely made NHRP, got intense allergy symptoms for the first and only time in her life. Our friend who lives there said that it was the pollen from the olive trees that are planted all over. That has made D2 say that she can’t attend UA, which is too bad as due to the scholarship and their great honors program. It’s ironic because we live in a place that is notorious for causing allergies to flare up due to grass pollen.</p>

<p>My son got 191 in TN. I called the NHRP office to check on his possibilities. This year cutoff in TN is 193 the same as in 2008. Chances that they will go down for 2010 to 191 are very slim.
Here is an interesting tidbit of info:
The lady at the NHRP office said that what really determines the state cutoff is the regional scores. From there they determine the state cutoff . What I’m thinking is that by population density they determine a minimum number of state NHRP recipients and that could push an indivual state score to be lower than others in the same region but that score will go down to get the minimum # of recipients and not a specific top % average from each state. Therefore it looks like the SE region is a very high performing region with scores close to Merit commendation levels…</p>

<p>So it looks like for and us it is going going back to plan B and continue to focus on higher ACT/SAT scores to access other scholarships… Kind of a wasted opportunity with the NHRP and PSAT, now going back to the hard way…</p>

<p>just found out about NHRP and that my school never sent in the nomination for my daughter! 201PSAT in CA! Any advice, or is it simply too late?</p>

<p>I’m assuming your D is a sr this year?? If so, it’s pretty late, but it’s worth a call to NHRP. We have had other students who didn’t self-identify as Hispanic on the PSAT, but called later and were given the award. The phone # is at the bottom of the page:</p>

<p>[National</a> Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP)](<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>Scholarships and Recognition with PSAT/NMSQT - SAT Suite)</p>

<p>Spoke with USC office today and they definatley distinguish NHRP from national merit finalist and do not automatically consider NHRP students as eligible for the National Merit Finalist Presidentlal Scholarships.</p>

<p>Silverdad, welcome to CC and the Hispanic Students forum!</p>

<p>Thanks for the update, particularly since it’s different from what was reported (also from a phone conversation) by our veteran poster, itsv, here in post #5:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I know that their website doesn’t indicate including NHRP for the Presidential scholarship, perhaps USC is distinguishing between ‘automatically’ and ‘sometimes’ considering NHRP for the Presidential?? </p>

<p>If you get a chance, please post on the thread I indicated above as it’s the one with the most recent information on NHRP scholarship opportunities.</p>

<p>Hi,
I know they do not publish stats for NHRP and I strongly disagree with that…
but-does anyone know anyone who got an NHRP this year or
last year in MA?
My D scored a 201 I think so I am hoping
the cutoff is not as high as the NMSQ was in MA1
which was a high 221-om…
they say only 60 NHRP from MA so I am thinking maybe the scores
are not so great or they would be more recipients, or maybe there just
are not that many hispanic students in MA? compared to other regions? Dunno…
wish they put out the numbers, frustrating to guess what it might be…i have not seen a number over 200 yet for any state have you?
W</p>

<p>According to other posters, if you call NHRP they will tell you what the cutoff was for your state last year.</p>

<p>I emailed and got a reply saying last years cutoff for MASS was 184–surprisingly low for a state with a NMSQ of 221. So my D score of 206 (203?) should easily make it as they said it usually only varies by a few points a year. She has a weighted GPA of 4.0 (95.6% avg.)…
WHOOPEEE. great news, just got to ride the GC now to assure he sends in the right proof of stuff to college board…thanks…
W</p>

<p>Wow!!! Mass has a cutoff of 184. I can’t believe that TN has a cutoff of 193. TN has far less educational resources than Mass, partly because of no state tax to fund education as heavily…
Oh well, Waitlistman make sure your daughter makes full use of this opportunity , she could get full rides to many universities in the South and stay away from loans…
Congrats!!!</p>

<p>washingtons cutoff last year was 184
and i got 191 so i should be good :)</p>

<p>I think MA scores reflect that the state, in spite of being liberal is still pretty segregated and a lot of the hispanic kids in some towns may not be getting the educational quaility of the richer towns–seems there is a problem if FLA puts up 191 and MA with better schools only 185 (though clearly there are more hispanic kids in Fla. but Tenesee??)…glad you made it in TN…</p>

<p>Sorry, I meant to congratulate sandra…and console lapagan, I hope she gets some of those type of FA offers from the schools closer to home as most of the schools entomom has on the list are far enough to make a dad cry…</p>

<p>Thanks waitlistman, good luck to you and your D. You should be able to get very good FA. </p>

<p>One thing that I wonder is what happen is you are a product of 2 different school systems. We moved to TN from FL about 1.5 years ago. Almost all the formation for the PSAT happened from my S Florida years… Don’t know if one can argue that point if in fact FL has a lower NHRP cutoff score. Anybody outhere that has experienced the same situation?</p>

<p>So does anyone know when we find out if we’ve qualified for NHRP? I got a 204 on the PSAT in MD, so I think I’m good.</p>

<p>we find out in may i think</p>

<p>In May your school will receive a form that they have to send in confirming your hispanic heritage and also your GPA, so you will know with certainty at that point. The award certificates and official notification of scholar status are issued in September of senior year. The mailbox starts filling with offers that mention NHRP status in October.</p>