National Hispanic Recognition Program

<p>New England prep school that grades 0 to 6 and doesn’t weight or do cumulative GPA</p>

<p>So, by no cumulative gpa, you mean that your GC will only send NHRP the gpa for jr year grades??</p>

<p>They don’t calculate cum. GPA for graduation (no ranking) or college application purposes. I’ll have to check and see what they’ll send to NHRP.</p>

<p>While many schools don’t rank, I guess I don’t understand how they can not have a cum gpa.</p>

<p>What’s more useful in admissions, National Hispanic Rcognition, or National Merit commended?</p>

<p>What’s more useful in scholarships, National Hispanic Rcognition, or National Merit commended?</p>

<p>For admissions, I’m not sure if it makes too much difference. NHRP tells colleges that you’re a high scoring Hispanic, but being NM commended and marking Hispanic would have a similar effect, particularly since commended is higher than NHRP cutoffs for all but a few states. NHRP does send out the names of scholars, so this helps to get you ‘on the radar’ of participating colleges and might help to get fly in opportunities.</p>

<p>For scholarships, I’d say NHRP by far. I don’t know many (any??) scholarships for NM commended, compared to:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/735291-colleges-offering-scholarships-national-hispanic-scholars.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Of course, the nice thing is that the 2 designations are not mutually exclusive, so there’s no reason not to get both if you qualify.</p>

<p>Thanks so much to entomom for the helpful posts and to itsv for the work on colleges offering scholarships to NHS. I’m new to the list and just found out that my daughter qualifies, assuming her high GPA holds steady. I’ve read through the posts, and I still wonder, when you say that a college offers scholarships to NHS, does that mean always, sometimes, or only within the normal competition against other applicants? If my daughter applies to UNM, for example, is the NHS scholarship likely to be offered?</p>

<p>Hi edsearch and welcome! Congrats to your D and glad that you’re finding some helpful information here on CC.</p>

<p>The answer to your question is, it depends on the scholarship, and sometimes the answer is not clear from the college’s website. For your example of UNM, I’d say that is competitive within students recognized as NHRP, because the webpage for incoming fr scholarships, which leads to the National Scholars Program scholarships says:</p>

<p>[Incoming</a> Freshmen Scholarhsips](<a href=“http://www.unm.edu/~schol/freshmen/freshmen.html]Incoming”>http://www.unm.edu/~schol/freshmen/freshmen.html)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>In contrast, the UIowa sounds like it offers this scholarship to all NHRP scholars:</p>

<p>[Scholarships</a> for First-Year Students - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Iowa](<a href=“http://www.uiowa.edu/admissions/undergrad/scholarships/first-year.htm]Scholarships”>http://www.uiowa.edu/admissions/undergrad/scholarships/first-year.htm)</p>

<p>

</code></pre>

<p>However, I would definitely call the FA/scholarship department of any school before I assume that a scholarship is automatic. Unfortunately, descriptions of merit aid can be notoriously fuzzy. While some schools are good at giving number of awards given, average stats, etc., others only mention some basic criteria and may not even give the amount of the award. I found the URochester like that, they mention merit from 2k to tuition/yr, but that’s it, not too hepful!</p>

<p>Thanks so much for your comments, entomom. What a learning process! Each time I comb through these threads I notice something new. My D has a 28 ACT and will study and take it again. We’re wondering whether she should also take the SAT. Her GPA was 4.0 but I think she’ll have one B this semester. She’s a junior with 6 AP classes so far. Her dad wants her to live at home and go to the local univ, which wouldn’t be bad, but I want to explore the options with her this summer and learn about the options. CC is a so very helpful! I hope I can add to the info.</p>

<p>^Her gpa should be fine, one B won’t bring it down significantly. </p>

<p>My kids have only taken the SAT since it’s the predominate test in our area, however more and more kids are trying both to see how they do. My D2 thought about it but decided her SAT was good enough and she didn’t want to have to prep for another test. </p>

<p>I think it’s great to have options come April of sr year, kids can grow and change so much that it’s really difficult to predict a year ahead where they’re going to be happy and productive. Definitely look at the fly-in thread and have her think about applying to some of them for the fall. They’re a little hard since kids are working on school and applications, but 1 or 2 are usually doable if spread out in time.</p>

<p>I’ll check that thread. Thank you!</p>

<p>Wow, I haven’t been on here in a while.</p>

<p>Wanted to add that I think NHRP is definitely better in terms of scholarship than Commended. Ds was both and received several scholarships that noted his status as a NHScholar. Sometimes it was a lot, sometimes not, but every little bit helps.</p>

<p>has anyone’s counselor heard from nhrp yet? i haven’t heard anything from my counselor and it’s driving me crazy because i keep thinking that they’ll just forget about me even though i got a high enough score</p>

<p>LAX i havent and i know my score was above the cut off in my state</p>

<p>My counselor called me in yesterday. I’m in TX. :)</p>

<p>My son’s counselor called us today. He received the verification paperwork yesterday from the National Hispanic Recognition Program (we are in PA and my son’s PSAT score was 203). Does anyone know if this means he is definitely going to be named a Natl Hispanic Scholar?</p>

<p>If your son’s gpa is reported as a 3.5 or above on the verification paperwork his counselor is sending in, he will be named a National Hispanic Scholar. If his reported gpa is between a 3.0 and 3.5, he will be listed as Honorable Mention. NHRP accepts either weighted or unweighted gpa. Unlike National Merit and National Achievement, National Hispanic is not competitive after the verification stage. Therefore, his gpa dictates what type of recognition he receives. The official letters from NHRP go out in mid-September. This is my understanding of how the program works. Can any other members confirm this information?</p>

<p>Congrats to your son!</p>

<p>^That’s correct.</p>

<p>LAXer,
I don’t think you have anything to worry about. My D2s GC hasn’t been notified yet either. If she doesn’t hear anything by the end of the month, we’ll get her GC to notify NHRP as they instruct on their website. Every year kids that are overlooked initially have their GC get in touch with NHRP, often pretty late in the process, and get recognition.</p>

<p>Hi Entomom,
My D also has not heard from G. Cslr yet but he said he would email us if it came in. She got a letter saying she scored in top 50k of 1.5 million? or something so I am assuming that would mean she is in the cut for commended at least for National Merit but not likely a National Merit winner as her score was around 205 as I recall. I think MA cutoff for NMSQ is a really high 221. But those SAT sample tests are coming back higher than PSAT so keeping my fingers crossed she can bat for 2200 or above,I agree not mutually exclusive, the high scoring NHRP should likely also get at least commendation on NM although again it depends on the state I guess. I assume they send the letter out saying you are in top 50k to tell you you at least will be commended.</p>

<p>My guidance counselor hasn’t contacted me yet either. I also got the letter about scoring in the top 50,000, so I’m assuming that means I’ll get something for national merit, commended probably. I’m kind of worried that my guidance counselor might just blow NHRP off because I don’t have a hispanic name (only half hispanic, my mom is from Cuba), and I don’t look traditionally hispanic. Oh well, if he doesn’t contact me I’ll just set up an appointment and get him to notify NHRP.</p>