National Hispanic Scholar NHRP Class of 2019

I’ve been anxiously awaiting to see if my son would qualify for NHRP. I called the college board this morning and was told the cutoff for Texas was 1270, so I thought I would share that in case anyone else out there is wondering. Thankfully my son qualifies.

I thought it would be helpful to start a group fro those of us in the same boat for Class of 2019. I have only started looking into what scholarships are possibly available. Please join me in sharing score cutoffs for your state if you know them, and any scholarship information you may have. Thanks!

Im from kansas got the email today 1370 and 203

does anyone knows the cutoff for California?

You can call the college board at 866-545-8467 and ask for the cutoff for your specific state. Good luck!

My son and I were just talking about this and wondering when letters would go out. He should qualify with his score but no email/letter yet. I’ll call tomorrow to check out what our cutoff is here in Virginia.

Too late for me to edit my previous comment - but my son did receive the letter/invite (on 2/2) but somehow missed it the other day.

Thanks for the update :slight_smile: My son missed it by 10 points in Texas :frowning:

My son is the king of just missing out on something! I know how frustrating that is!! :frowning:

Cutoff in Connecticut is 1310. Daughter made 1400 so we are in.

The cut-off for Georgia is 1370

Score cutoffs are based on PSAT score and region, so let’s organize information and update as we go. Here is what we have so far.

Region: Middle States
States: Washington D.C., Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.
Class of 2019 PSAT Cutoff: score not yet reported on this site

Region: Midwestern
States: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Class of 2019 PSAT Cutoff: less than or equal to 1370 (exact cutoff score not yet reported on this site)

Region: New England
States: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
Class of 2019 PSAT Cutoff: 1310

Region: Southern
States: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.

Region: Southwestern
States: Arkansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.
Class of 2019 PSAT Cutoff: 1270

Region: Western
States: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.

Are emails still being sent out? My son’s score was a 1270 and we live in texas and I haven’t received anything.

@evergreen5 for the states you listed, are those scores the same as last year?

@homerdog I haven’t tried to figure that out. The cutoffs are not published publicly as far as I know. There’s the question of region vs state that another parent @txmom11 raised; however, the snail mail letter says “region.” When I emailed about the cutoff, the response just mentioned the state I was asking about. If I recall correctly, if the scores are by region, then TX region went down 10 pts from last year, 1280 to 1270 (caveat, I must have gotten that last year number from an old post here). If they’re by state, this would be the first year, so too hard to compare to last year’s region cutoff. The regions were simply the College Board regional offices.

@Jake1563 You can email or call using the contact info at College Board to confirm the cutoff and you can also ask about self-nominating in case your son failed to check the hispanic box on the PSAT.

The email that our son received 8 days ago says ‘Region’

NHRP is secretive. Telling one student that the selection is determined by state and another that it is by region is an example of their shenanigans. They also never keep the cut offs from the year before and pretend to have no knowledge of them. I know one girl who swears she was cheated out of NHRP because she attended a top private school. They asked for her school and score and then said the index cut off was 1 point higher.

University of Alabama at Birmingham
-tuition for 8 semesters
-first year of freshman dorms
-a $1000 technology scholarship
a $2500 experimental learning stipend (traveling, etc…)
—just be accepted and then email copies of certificate and notification letter from Collegeboard.

University of Arizona
-$25,000, can vary
-automatic admission to honors

Arizona State
NEW AMERICAN UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP
-tuition covered (including out of state, around $26,000 a year)
-Scholars get to apply later to Barrett Honors College
—Get admitted to university, then contact for scholarship

Northeastern
-$30,000 yearly, but DOES VARY
----apply, then contact for scholarship

Wichita State University
-tuition, student fees, campus infrastructure
-room/board on campus
-$500 a semester for books (2 years?)
—Apply by April 1st, must be fully admitted to a degree-bound program by May 1st

University of New Mexico
CONROY ACHIEVEMENT SCHOLARSHIP
-tuition and fees
-$2500 stipend PER YEAR
-one year of freshmen housing
—apply by Mar. 1st, automatic, just call/email for scholarship info

Florida State University
NHRP
-tuition and fees (including out of state)
—apply, fill out scholarship section on application, contact

Andrews University
-full tuition/books, Maybe room/board (call)…
—apply, send records to admissions office.

University of Kentucky
PATTERSON SCHOLARSHIP (CAN VERY)
-full tuition (out of state)
-$10,000 for housing (one time, 2 yrs worth)
—Apply by December 1st, contact

University of Nebraska-Lincon
-CHANCELLOR’S SCHOLARSHIP
-full out-of-state tuition
-$2000 stipend (one time or yearly?)
—apply, contact

Fordham
-full tuition, 4 years
—COMPETITIVE (not guarunteed), contact/apply

A&M University (TAMU)
-$14,000 over 4 years ($3500 per year)
—Apply by Nov. 1st or Dec. 1st, contact

That’s it for now, happy applying! These are confirmed by website or phone call by me personally, and the majority are automatic. I am the class of 2018, and am personally going to attend Arizona State University, the honors dorms are beautiful! Disregard the deadlines for y’all! Many schools in Florida have contacted me as well, and I believe Mississippi state also offers a comparable scholarship. Congrats to all of y’all and your children, this is so exciting!

Nebraska also includes three summers worth of tuition, which is pretty cool!

I just called and they said the cutoff for Louisiana is 1370.

My daughter is in Texas as well and never received an invite. I called NHRP and they said she was not on their list even though she scored 1350 (cut off was 1270) and marked Hispanic on her test. They said we would need to go the self nomination route and couldn’t offer an explanation as to why she was not invited. Has anyone else experienced this? If I had not googled “scholarships for Hispanic females” I would not have known about this program. Just makes me wonder how many other qualified students are overlooked.