National Scholar Invitational 2020

Hello, Can anyone who attended the Texas A&M Virtual National Scholar Invitational on June 15th, please share their experience. Thanks!

@TXStuMom , My daughter and I went to this a couple of years ago when it was in person. Not sure if I can answer any questions for you about this year’s program but I can give you our perspective from a couple of years ago.

@ChillyCow , Thank you very much. I would really appreciate it. I know the experience will not be the same, this year’s event being virtual. But I am trying to understand what to expect. Also, if you don’t mind, is your daughter attending A&M? Thanks!

@TXStuMom , Yes, she is! Can you message me your questions? I couldn’t figure out how to send you a private message!

Thank you @ChillyCow , she is attending the session on Monday.

I doubt the online version will do justice to the on campus experience. I attended the program back when it was the Honors Invitational Program in the '90s and that, along with the Fall overnight visit, is what sold me on the university. I was a student leader of the program for 2 summers in college. My son attended the online National Scholars Invitational last week. I didn’t listen in, and TAMU isn’t really a good fit for him (he’s not into football, or what he calls “over the top school spirit”, among other things), but I can’t imagine that the 3 hours online gives anywhere near the experience of 2-3 days on campus, really getting the vibe, meeting current students in small groups, visiting classes, visiting the MSC, etc. I would definitely recommend attending virtually and taking from it what she can, but even better would be if they are able to offer the Fall programming in person on campus. I know that’s unlikely.

I know they also have student ambassadors. That might be a good way to connect with a student individually and ask questions that might be hard to ask in the virtual group setting. You could probably set something up through the admissions office or honors department. Also have your student look into the Conway-Fitzhugh International Honors Leadership Seminar, https://conway-fitzhugh.tamu.edu/

Thank you @Culbreath , that is really helpful. Conway-Fitzhugh does sound really interesting, I will have her look into it.

My daughter attended the 3 hour session today. I think TAMU tried to make the best of a not very good situation. It would have been ideal if the kids got a chance to visit the university and participate in activities. That said, they still gave as much information as they could in the three hours. She left the live session with more questions, now she knows who to reach out to and ask which I guess is a positive thing.