New Student Conference

For those already accepted, have you chosen your date for the NSC?
If so, what is it?
If you know what to expect from the NSC, would you mind giving your experience?
My date is set to 6/22-23/16.
Thank you!

I haven’t looked much into, but j believe it is your orientation. I actually have the same dates as you. I think it is used to learn about TAMU and to meet people. Im sure others who aren’t incoming freshman could provide more insight

I’m set to go on 8/22-8/23. The orientation is basically an intro to A&M to get you familiar with the campus, programs, and the registration process. It’s mandatory so you can register for classes on 8/25 – and during the two days that you’re there, you’ll be involved in sessions and programs that help you transition into A&M more easily.

NSC starts with verifying any additional paperwork needed for admission, getting an ID card, picking up your sports pass if you have ordered one (highly recommended-that’s how you get into football games & other sports) and going to various information sessions. The information provided ranges from housing to health (what happens if you get sick) to school traditions. You learn how to register for classes & break out into groups for registration information for your major with advisors (keep expectations low here, they are only helping you for your 1st semester then you individually see your advisors during the Fall for future plans). There are question & answer sessions both joint with parents & break out groups for just parents & just students ( if only you could listen to the parent session, you would be highly amused!). There are some optional information sessions for specialty groups like the corps, greek life, and other groups. There is usually a display of various organizations with manned booths & pamphlets somewhere (they’ll tell you at your NSC where to find them). The yell leaders normally visit & you get a taster of aggieland spirit. There is an optional pre-day where you can take care of some of the pick up items above, do tours of housing or of the school. There are meet & greet activities too, including a meal that parents go to one location & student go to a different one. They have people that help with seating, even with the parents at those meals, so you will be placed at a table so don’t worry that you know no one- most people don’t.

The two day NSC ends with course registration - that can take 10 min or 2 hours depending on your prep, the availability of your classes and how fast you can type (no kidding). The night between day1 and day 2, you spend figuring out potential course lists- although some people get a jump on that and are just verifying what is available. You can only register during your 2hour window assigned to YOUR NSC - then you are blocked until school starts. Don’t panic if you don’t get the ideal schedule - classes open up again at the start of school - people change schedules quite a bit. NOT all classes are opened at the first NSC - they open a few at every NSC, so it isn’t like the August dates get just the leftovers.

I’ve been to two NSC sessions - here are my tips: wear comfortable shoes, take a notebook for you and one for your parents, bring a parent , bring more than one laptop or iPad if you have them (to help with scheduling night-we found it easier), expect to be busy, get your ID either early or late - the line is very long during prime times, be careful where you park - parking ticket nazis are in full force at this campus 24/7, do get a parking pass for the weekend, give yourself time to get to the next event (the campus is huge), and enjoy your first step into being an Aggie! In your down time, drive around the surrounding areas - find places that you like to eat (have a lunch plan), go get your free stuff (you’ll have some offers to take advantage of from local vendors!), and start to explore your new home!

Where to stay : you can stay on campus or at local hotels (reserve a room ASAP, there just isn’t enough hotel rooms here). Is there an advantage to one or the other - not really - everyone in your hotel will also be there for NSC. There really isn’t much down time, you are busy & overloaded with information all day long & into the evening. You have some individual decisions to make on your schedule, so people tend to be less social and more focused on the task at hand. Parents also can stay in the dorms if desired - so no, it isn’t just students in the dorms. Mine both picked hotels. The more social event oriented time is Fish Camp - it is optional but highly recommended to meet other students in a non-stop fun atmosphere (it really is a camp) & learn many more aggie traditions.

Hope this helps some :wink:

Get the earliest NSC so you can get spots in classes. Last year I had mine in mid July and some of the classes I wanted to take were already full

I’m set to attend the 6/15-6/16 one! I’m super nervous and excited.

Thank you very much! If you’re set to attend the same day as me, feel free to message me! (:

I’m set for 6/14/2016 ~ 6/15/2016!

Once again, I agree with everything AgMomx2 said! I also have gone through NSC two times with two engineering students and the second was much less stressful than the first – re-read AgMomx2’s second paragraph. In fact, re-read all her tips because they are great! My tip – Have two or three different derivations of a class schedule ready when you get to your NSC and you will feel more relaxed. Because the university opens space in class sections each NSC throughout the summer, you will always find some sections that are already filled – even the first NSC.

My tip: take refillable water bottles! I nearly passed out from dehydration because there were not enough water stations open…but there were water refill fountains.