New student starting this fall- some general questions

Hello, everyone. I am an international student who just got admitted as the major of CIT. As getting ready for the college, I have some questions about BGR and housing.
I would like to start with BGR

1. Does BGR worth to go? I want to go but since I am international student, I need to plan the air ticket and attending to BGR makes a difference. Also I need to attend BGRi for 4days if I am going to BRG. Some people say that made friend from BGR, some people don’t So, I want to listen to your opinion about it.
  2. What do you actually do in BGR? Do you tour around campus with specific group?
  3. Before going to BGR, are we allowed to move in to dorms?

About house:

1. Tell me your opinion: Roommate or no
  2. If I do not want roommate, I go for First Street. I got this. But, what I am wondering is that if I do not get First Street then do I get stuck with just random roommate that Purdue chooses?

Now, I am only searching for these kind of information and it is hard to find about them. Can you guys help me please.
Thank You.

Just an opinion here. I think that being an international student it might be more important to attend BGR. It will give you an opportunity before classes start to get a feel for the country, the university, the types of students you will be interacting with, the values of the varying people you will meet etc. My D attended BGR when she started at Purdue and while she wouldn’t say she made friends, she certainly would admit that it made her initial days and weeks of class more comfortable. I can’t advise as to the roommate. If you were a US citizen I might recommend you live in a dorm with a roommate. Purdue has a lot of international students but I don’t know how they handle them when it comes to rooming.

My D was a freshman 3 years ago from another state and I got these conclusions:

1. BGR, If you can afford it, do come.
    It’s just an extra week before school starts, so it should not cost much more and it gives you a head start,

2. You are assigned to a group with a leader who is an upperclassman. You do various fun things together and it introduces you to the school, the campus, new people, … you may not make a lot of friends but you may make some and you get more comfortable when school starts.

3. Your actually dorm that you live during the school year is not ready until the weekend before school starts. I think if you go to BGR, everyone stays in one of the dorms, maybe Shreve? After that you move into your real dorm. I think this is true.

Housing:

1. I would choose roommate. You have more chance to make friends. Your roommate can introduce to many things. He/ she can help you with things. Even when it is random, chances are good that you have a good roommate. If you get a terrible room mate, the Resident assistant will help you resolve problems … If you really want to move later, you can.

2. When you choose a dorm with room mate, you specify your likes and dislikes and the school try to match you.

A couple things about matching roommates. You may want to be very specific about your likes, dislikes.

My D has had 3 good roommates and they and my D are considerate of each other but there are many things that one can not change and it might bother other people:

1. How early you get up in the morning, do you shower, study ?
  2. How late you stay up, study, or do other things … the light will be on, the noises …
  3. Do you entertain friends in the room … big group , small group, boy friend, girl friend …
  4. The music you listen to. Son of a friend of mine had to move because he could not stand the music of his roommate.
    … there are many more …

You think you can put up with these things but in reality, if it happens every day, it gets on your nerves.