New Study Abroad selection policy?

<p>D applied for the UA Honors in Oxford - Summer 2013. Yesterday she received notice that she has been placed on the waitlist because she does not yet have a college GPA (minimum selection 2.8). Her application will be considered after fall grades are posted, if there are any openings. Upon inquiring, she was told this is a new policy. </p>

<p>Our concern is that she is in the IHP and plans on doing two summer terms. If she is not able to go in the summer of 2013, that leaves her two remaining summers to accomplish her two trips. I’m sure it is all doable, though it feels restrictive. She may well be still able to go this summer and any angst may be all for naught. </p>

<p>I don’t know if this policy applies for all trips. However, if we had been aware of the policy, she might have taken a class locally last summer in order to come in with a “college GPA”. I’m not sure. </p>

<p>So my point is that if you will have an incoming freshman next year who plans on studying abroad her first summer, you might look into this.</p>

<p>Weird…wonder if they had some issue before?</p>

<p>Anyway…I wouldn’t worry too much. That program typically has openings in the late winter/early spring. Indinct’s son signed up quite late this last year if I remember.</p>

<p>Yes, it was April & they had a couple of openings. So, I’m sure you will get a quick decision once fall grades are posted.</p>

<p>^^^ That is good to hear. And at any rate, we can’t do anything about it so we will hope it works out.</p>

<p>I don’t think D1 “officially” signed up for Alabama at Oxford until January of her freshman year. Your D might want to check in with the person in charge of the program this year; looks like it’s Tricia McElroy, but Dr. Halli, Dr. Seleski and Ms. Jones are teaching again this year.</p>