NHRP finalists/scholars, PSAT taken Oct 2013

<p>Has anyone received verification from College Board about NHRP finalists or scholars? My son scored 204 on PSAT taken in Oct 2013. I believe California's cutoff is around 190. How does one found out if they're a scholar? His school has not received verification as of today.</p>

<p>Any responses or input will be extremely appreciated.</p>

<p>See the last few posts here:</p>

<p><a href=“National Hispanic Recognition Program - #706 by entomom - Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-p48.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>CA is in the Western Region, the cutoff last year was186 (see page 43 of the above thread). Cutoffs usually change by at most a few points from year to year, so your S should be good.</p>

<p>p.s. at this stage in the process, usually students will be notified through their HS GC who must send information to the CB to verify Hispanic status and gpa.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info</p>

<p>I realize I’m early in the process and letters from the CB haven’t been sent to high schools yet; at least in California. I want to add the following stats about my son to the above question. I’m hoping entomom can answer this… Along with his PSAT score, 1/4 hispanic and 4.33 GPA, does this qualify him for NHS? Does first generation college student add the this award? </p>

<p>*to</p>

<p>1/4 is the threshold amount of Hispanic background used by NHRP. And while they say 3.0 (weighted) gpa on their website, it needs to be 3.5 for Scholar status, which is what most, if not all, of the scholarships are for. Your S looks good on both counts.</p>

<p>First gen does not factor into NHRP at all. Also, be aware, NHRP is recognition, but scholarships come through various colleges that participate (see the thread about schools that offer NHRP merit aid).</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Collegemom- your son’s score also could get him National Merit Commended status. I do not believe there is much money for that status but it is a national award to definitely include on his Common Application. In California you usually need between a 200 to 202 but numbers have been rising lately so it could be higher. Good luck. </p>

<p>If you son is first generation then I would recommend you look at the website imfirst.org. It is a great resource devoted to first generation students but much of the information would be relevant to all Hispanic students. If you are a family who needs financial aid then be sure to apply for the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarships; Questbridge and Gates scholarship programs. </p>

<p>Itsv, thanks for the suggestions. Will post when news comes in from GC or colleges.</p>