Nice off campus, non student living properties?

Parents of UA, do you know any good non student living properties that allow short term leases? I am graduating on december so I really really don’t want to sign a whole year lease.

The UA off campus housing site is a good place to start. If you click the button for more filters in this link and look under lease information you’ll find an option for month to month rentals. You can also filter to look for a Fall sublet.

https://offcampushousing.ua.edu/property/search

You could also check Craigslist and/or post on UA student social media e.g. Facebook, Reddit to ask if an engineering student needs to sublet his/her room for the Fall semester.

Good luck!

My son also graduated in December and after extensive searching we only found 2 apartment complexes in the whole town that did short term leases. One is Brookstone which is by no means a luxury apartment - there was no dishwasher…no central air, but that’s where my son opted to live and he did survive for the less than 6 months he was there.

The other property is near the stadium and I’ll have to look up the name because I’ve forgotten. However even though they advertise they have short term leases they try to fill their units with full year leases first, so my son called them repeatedly and they kept saying they weren’t sure if they would have any units available for short term leases until he eventually gave up and chose Brookstone.

The other option would be to get a place for a full year and try to sublet it in January, but I didn’t want to make that gamble.

@jrcsmom yeah, it’s been god awful to find the short term lease properties…and those they do, they fill rather really quick. It’s even harder for me because I don’t own a vehicle.

According to their Facebook page, East Edge has a few short-term leases for this coming fall. This is a first, I believe. The number was limited so I’d contact ASAP.

http://www.eastedgeapartments.com/

Yes I looked at that place, it’s quite expensive for me :frowning:

Your best bet is to sublet from someone else for the Fall semester. Maybe from someone who is on a co-op placement outside of Tuscaloosa?

That’s another weird thing. For last three years there were bunch of kids desperate to sublease for either fall or spring. but this year, I barely see any.

Good luck finding a fall short term lease. I know a place out on jack warner allows it but they tack on $150/mo for short term and minimum 6 mos. Try a house and defintely wait til the last minute. Finding a short term lease will more likely happen when apartments have open spaces they are desperate to get rid of