North and South - February CC Book Club Selection

Ditto to @ignatius’ comment about needing a Dixon – even an occasionally grumpy one would do just fine.

As for waterbeds, you sent me to the internet! And I found a picture of what Mrs. Thornton might have loaned Mrs. Hale:

1 Like

@buenavista I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. May her memory be a blessing.

I too, was dumbfounded that waterbeds dated back to the 19th century.

@buenavista : I’m very sorry about the loss of your mother.

@buenavista glad to read that the scene in the book, didn’t stress you, and even brought comfort.
93 years, is a long HAPPY life and that is a blessing, although a sad time, too. Condolences to you, and your family, at this time.

Thank you so much, all, for your kind words about my mother. My nephew runs nursing homes, and at the service he commented that my mom had a “gold standard” death. And that was true, although as @Mary13 pointed out, “age doesn’t really matter when you lose a loved one.”

Mrs. Hale’s death was not a surprise, as I listened on audio back and forth from the hospital and my mom’s apartment (that helped with the dialogue parts, btw). I almost stopped, and then I realized it felt like I was sharing the sadness with Elizabeth and her father–but I didn’t actually have to respond or be brave.

4 Likes

Sure, I’m on board with Horse. Looks like an interesting book. (I was on vacation, unplugged from most electronics… except my Kindle on the beach.)

3 Likes

OK, so here we are in the middle of February, and I’m just now posting on this thread! In my defense … oh, heck, I have no defense!!! I had planned to at least jump on to say I didn’t read “North and South.” Sometimes lots of things line up at the same time, and this was one of those instances.

I’m totally in for “Horse” – it’s been on my To Read list.

I read “Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow” for the January meeting of my RL Book Club. I LOVED it! For another online Book Club I just finished “The Reading List” – also very good. Currently reading “Our Missing Hearts,” which I’m enjoying a lot.

@buenavista Adding my sympathies on the loss of your mother. Losing a parent is just plain hard.

See you all in April.

3 Likes

We’ve had Tru Biz on our list for a couple of voting rounds. If any Kindle users are interested, it’s only $2.99 on Amazon today: https://www.amazon.com/True-Biz-Novel-Sara-Novic-ebook/dp/B097B2VLNY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=C7GEXH496QZ9&keywords=true+biz+kindle&qid=1676825566&sprefix=tru+biz%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1

1 Like