Northwestern Class of 2027 Official Thread

The waitlist is insane. Some kids have to weigh financial aid options and all this ED business prohibits them from doing so.

1 Like
  • Korean male, Bay Area, Biochem major
  • 1570 SAT
  • 4.0 UC UW (3.97 UW inc snr year)
  • 10 AP courses taken: AP Calc BC (5), APUSH (5), AP Lang (5), AP Chemistry (5), AP Stats (5), AP US Gov, AP Physics C, AP CS A, AP Spanish Lang, AP Literature
  • 2 extra AP tests: AP Physics 1 (5), AP Music Theory (4)
  • USNCO High Honors (Top 47/16000-ish?)
  • MathWorks M3 Challenge final 10%
  • GMTK Game Jam Finalist
  • 4x AIME/Distinction Qualifier
  • Officer of Artificial Intelligence Club and co-founder of Chemistry Club
  • Various solo piano, piano trio, and volunteering awards (from regional to national)
  • Internship at a small biotech startup in SF, full-time and paid
  • Research with a JHU adjunct prof into BNNs and their applications in bioinformatics
  • Research at a big Stanford lab (didnā€™t go very well though)

Rejected. I really, really hope Iā€™m just unqualified and there isnā€™t something wrong with my app (bad essay or poisoned letters)

3 Likes

were you accepted to MIT?

2 Likes

No, waitlisted. Rejected from JHU, UCLA, UCI, UChicago ED2. Also waitlisted from UCSD and UCD. Accepted into UCSC and UCSB.

I honestly donā€™t expect anything from Ivy Day anymore; if CMU does not pull through I will most likely have to commit to UCSB. Not at all where I wanted to go, but it is 9th in chemical engineering. Iā€™ll survive.

5 Likes

Probably neither. Itā€™s just SO competitive this year. Donā€™t beat yourself up ā€“ lots and lots of disappointed kids this year. Good luck.

4 Likes

UCSB is a wonderful school!

3 Likes

rejected. Expected it so not too upset. Waiting on other decisions today and next week. As of now headed to UT Austin

1 Like

Rejected. Go Mammoths (Amherst)!

4 Likes

Did they ask you to apply ED2? My son was asked to change his application from JHU and Chicago to ED2. Rejected after he said no. Son was asked to apply to ISP at Northwestern, waitlisted after he didnā€™t. He wants to expand his horizons in college. Its crazy.

I know it is, but itā€™s just not where I wanted to go. Itā€™s too close to home, and I also wanted to go to college with my friends, who all got into high-ranking T20s.

Really hoping I can transfer. NWU was my dream school after MIT, UChicago, and JHU.

And NWU does not do ED2. I was asked to switch for both JHU and UChicago and chose UChicago since it was my favorite campus out of all that I visited and Iā€™d have the most friends there. Unfortunately, Chicago rejected me, and so did JHU and NWU some time after.

I did write about wanting to attend ISP, but could not finish my essays in time. Maybe that has something to do with the rejection. But more likely I am deluding myself and am just not qualified enough to expect an RD acceptance.

1 Like

UCSC and UCSB both are good school. Trust me after it does not matter where you go as long as you work hard. Knowledge does not care for school campus.

2 Likes

I was asked these things (JHU and NU), didnā€™t, and was rejected from both.

1 Like

D23 ACCEPTED!! Engineering. 1570, top of class, 4.0uw, 12 APs, all 5s so far, Engineering research, extensive performing arts, leadership, state/regional recognition for ECs.
Did have a NW interview (virtual).

4 Likes

Just ridiculous

4 Likes

Congratulations! Did your student receive an email letting them know the decisions have been released?

did they ask you to join ISP? So they asked you to change your application to ED2 and then rejected you ?

36 ACT
4.0 UW. 4.8 W
National Merit Finalist
Research
High level sports
Leadership in many areas
Outstanding letters

Rejected. So ridiculous

2 Likes

did anyone apply ISP?

1 Like

Again NWU does not have ED2. Wrote about wanting to attend ISP; was offered the chance to apply (as do most other applicants) but ran out of time on the application.

If anyone is willing to look through my essays, I am more than willing to PM them. Iā€™d rather immediately know my application is doomed than slowly find out through the imminent stream of rejections.

1 Like

It is ridiculous and Iā€™m sorry. My son is in the same situation. It might be all bad news for the next week over here. ā€œSafetyā€ schools werenā€™t even safe with my sonā€™s 36 ACT.

2 Likes