Northwestern Class of 2027 Official Thread

She did not get an email

1 Like

Our student waitlisted. Top SAT, 4.0 UW GPA, NMF, Great recos, class president. Weinberg. Disappointing. But with test optional, this is a difficult year for academically strong students without hooks like lot of posts are indicating. Will have to wait for next week to see if anything comes out of that.

2 Likes

My daughter was rejected. 4.0, 35 ACT, lots of ECs, yadda yadda. Itā€™s such an insanely competitive year everywhere! Apparently it was a 4 percent acceptance rate!! Good luck, everyone.

5 Likes

I honestly lost all hope at this pointā€¦

international dutch IB student scoring 7ā€™s for all HL subjects

• 3 years doctor shadowing in South Africa
  • valedictorian
  • published paper on pharmacological psychedelic therapy for depression
  • 4 years field hockey, varsity captain, club team captain
  • licensed and active hockey referee
  • pitched, founded and running school reward shop
  • duke medical neuroscience course
  • MUN head of admin, 4 years
  • student representative for schools psychology department
  • head of yearbook committee
  • babysitting/waitressing (5 years)

excellent recommendations, outstanding essays
no financial aid

0 acceptances

rejected from UCD, UCSB, UCI, UCSD, UCLA, Johns Hopkins and now Northwestern

3 Likes

Rejected šŸ«¶šŸ» My friend was accepted though:) congratulations to everyone who got in!

2 Likes

Admission is probably even tougher for international students.

If you donā€™t mind me asking, did you submit standardized test score(s) to NU?

1 Like

Woo-hoo! Our daughter was accepted at Medill. 3.93 unweighted GPA, 1570 SAT, National Merit Finalist, several high school journalism awards, 8 AP + 5 honors classes, summer journalism programs at NYT and Columbia, good extracurriculars including leadership. Her application has a very strong journalism story.

3 Likes

Small competitive private high school son would like to attend a small to medium size college with strong engineering program. Now 2/3 of his applications have results and somehow he has done poorly withe private colleges. As of now, rejected by Caltech, MIT, JHU, now Northwestern. It will probably be the same for USC, CMU soon. His numbers (35ACT, 3.95GPA) are lower than many of the posts here so not surprising. Thank goodness, he did better with public institutions, accepted for engineering at Purdue, UIUC, UW(Seattle), UCLA.
Congrats to those accepted! Best of luck to applicants waiting for more results!

2 Likes

no, unfortunuately notā€¦ by the time I decided to aim for the US, there wasnā€™t sufficient time to prep for the ACT/SAT

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes itā€™s difficult for the admission officers to fully understand the high-school context of each and every international applicant from all over the world.

You seem to have been highly accomplished as a student. I wish you the best.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget about yield management. There are many students that are falling through donut hole I call it. Tier2 reject because they think you are too good and will never join them and hence donā€™t want yield hit. They think you are using them as safety. Tier1 is all lottery with their class curation/tea leaf reading/agendas. So itā€™s not you. Itā€™s the unregulated admissions process with no published objective criteria. Cheers. Best way we motivate our student is real world examples. My boss is a Bryant college graduate and has 100s of Mckinsey consultants (graduates of Harvard, MIT, Yale, Stanford) slogging away for him. Use this as a chip on your shoulder and you will have many of the graduates from schools who rejected you working for you in real life. This applies to anyone who is smart/hard working and surprisingly rejected by tea leaf readers (ahem holistic admissions).

9 Likes

Nothing wrong with you, but a lot of wrong with this 4% acceptance rate.

7 Likes

Who said NWU is Tier 2??? I would honestly give up both kidneys for admission to Brown let alone NWU.

That said, what you said about T1 being a lottery is 1000% true. My ISEF-winner friend got rejected EVERYWHERE he applied to, including EVERY UC and if Ivy Day and Stanford do not go well for him heā€™s headed to UIUC for CS.

4 Likes

Wow this is so reassuring, thank you so much for your reply. Thatā€™s a much better mindset to use when dealing with these rejections, I really appreciate it

1 Like

Itā€™s a lottery at some point. You seem very qualified. I think peopleā€™s perception of elite colleges will expand greatly in near future if not already - so many highly highly capable students are now going to a much wider net of great schools. Hang in there and enjoy the sun. Plenty of rejections here too. Youā€™re in excellent company.

3 Likes

You can certainly blame the admissions system as a whole, but the idea that Northwestern is a Tier 2 school engaging in yield protection is not just completely ludicrous, but also ultimately unhelpful IMO. That might apply to a certain class of schools, but Northwestern is not it.

9 Likes

Here, have a mom hug! And hold on to both of your kidneys please. You will get into somewhere that may not be T1 or T2, but will be T1 for you as a person. My daughter was rejected from Northwestern and we are NOT optimistic about Brown, but sheā€™s been accepted to Macalester, which is (I dunno? T3?) and an incredibly good fit for her as a person. Thatā€™s probably where sheā€™s going, and I think sheā€™s going to have an amazing college experience and great preparation for the working world. You will too! It is sooo much more than the name.

9 Likes

Go with Purdue for engineering (less debt). It is at par with MIT. In engineering no one care which college you are from. I am with one of the largest tech companies in the world and hundreds of resumes crosses my desk. I have not given any interview call merely on the basis of college they went to and pretty sure it is true with my peers also.

4 Likes

That being said, I agree with you that highly rejective schoolsā€™ AOs are tea-leaf readers picking applicants to fit their weird unregulated class curation, which is highly subjective.

3 Likes

Mom of a son who was rejected (35 ACT 3.9 UW 8 APs all 5s research published). I can honestly say having been through this with my other two kids you will end up where you are supposed to. Do not let the rejection diminish your many incredible accomplishments. And in no way is it a reflection of your value as a person. Hang tight - it will all work out

10 Likes