Rejected
Private school
3.95/4.0 UW
14 AP/IB
National finalist in team event and another activity
700 volunter hours
Published research
School leadership position

Wait listed at Notre Dame, Swarthmore,Hopkins.
Accepted UNC OOS , TX Austin OOS

Anyone know the chance of admission from waitlist to T20 schools?

2 Likes

rare. My son was waitlisted at Northwestern & Notre dame

2 Likes

I would search for the school’s common data set. It will give you the exact numbers in section C-2.
https://enrollment.northwestern.edu/pdf/common-data/2021-22.pdf

Of my 3 kids:
1 was Rejected ED1 and ED2
1 was Deferred ED (waiting on decision)
1 only applied EA at three schools (2 acceptances 1 deferral)

I still think ED is the way to go. It may improve your odds, but it is absolutely not a guarantee, even for a school where you are right in the mix stats wise. Loads of ED acceptances go to URM, first-gen, Quest Bridge, and the biggest group: recruited athletes. If you aren’t in one of those groups, the ED acceptance rate may not be as high as you think.

2 Likes

UNC and TX OOS is super impressive. Texas hardly accepts anyone OOS.

2 Likes

The way I see it, the private schools are predominantly taking applicants with hooks. Public Univs. are more equitable!

2 Likes

Waitlist #5. Same amazing stats as everyone else here. These waitlists are getting comical.

3 Likes

depends on your state. The UCs are insane this year. Test blind is a bit of a disaster IMO. But in general I agree, though publics are often not good with financial aid.

2 Likes

I’ll be curious to see my D24’s boarding school results here - NU had 8 apply ED (1/8 accepted ED …the remaining 7 were deferred) plus then you have ? # RD applications…

1 Like

Accepted!! Medill! Never thought this would happen! Still in shock
Private Catholic All Girls school (last person to get in was in 2020)
4.28 gpa
7 APs
A ton of journalism ECs
Tennis Captain
Student Body Vice President
Published book about mental health

Accepted ND, UNC, Colby, UMich
Waitlisted BC and Wake Forest
Rejected USC, UVA, and Vandy ED2

what is your thinking on Michigan v. Northwestern? UM has been my D’s #1 for a while. But she was Deferred in EA. Personally I would choose NWU for her but if she gets into UM next week… (She’s radio/tv/film).

1 Like

Macalester is a top liberal arts college - it is an incredible school with amazing professors, students and alumni. Congratulations!!!

1 Like

what do kids do if they need financial aid! They completely took that away from the high stat kids.

3 Likes

UIUC is one of the best in the world

Not sure how anyone can answer it for you. My son ED’d Northwestern and had no interest in UMich

1 Like

that poster said they were accepted to both and so probably does have an opinion on one v. the other. I’m just curious how they stack up for others.

1 Like

Accepted - test optional, engineering! Had several top ECs - US Senate Page, NSLIY Chinese, independent research at one of the nation’s top colleges. Pretty surprised! Also accepted at WashU, Vanderbilt, West Point - rejected at Johns Hopkins and Pomona

4 Likes

The other thing to question with your DS boarding school, was the 1 accepted ED a legacy? One of the things that is not transparent by many private, independent schools are the hooks (legacy, sports) that factor into the early decisions. Harvard Westlake amazingly provides this information (not a parent there) and it is extremely helpful to cut thru the reality of it all.

1 Like

Agree. Go with what give you best education at cheapest price. Playing field evens out after one year of job except Law schools like Yale or Harvard.

Thank you, @R_A2 @matt2024 @NoCaDad @noodles3, for your suggestions!
So 1 vote for Purdue, 1 vote for UIUC, 2 original + 1 converted votes for UCLA, as to which college son should attend for Mech E.
He was also accepted at Georgia Tech for Mech E an hour ago:)

2 Likes