Not Eligible

<p>This is ridiculous. I am not eligible to apply to the UCs, because I didn’t take a year of art or music.</p>

<p>However, one can gain eligibility by having certain SAT scores. My scores are high enough, but I just found out that the UCs require applicants to take two subject tests in two different areas (I took both Math 1 and Math 2). </p>

<p>This is absolutely absurd. Does anyone know if I can still apply, although I’m technically ineligible?</p>

<p>I am not sure if you can get around the art requirement, but I do know that you can still take the SAT in December. For math subject tests, they will not count Math 1, only math 2.</p>

<p>
[quote]
This is absolutely absurd.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>No, it's UC policy and has been for more than 6+ years. (I'm sure the lit-artsy types think that the Alg II requirement is "absurd.")</p>

<p>Yes, you can become eligible by testing alone. For OOS, you need to average 700+ on all five tests.</p>

<p>UC stopped accepting Math 1 for the HS class of '06, so you'll need to add another test in December. Incidentally, few schools are gonna be impressed with two math scores and nothing else, particularly if they require two subject tests.</p>

<p>No, it really is absurd to forbid a kid from applying to a college because he didn't take a year of music/art.</p>

<p>Music/art has never been, is not, and never will be relevant to my life.</p>

<p>Listen, I have no problem with schools ruling applicants ineligible for committing crimes, but we're talking about MUSIC/ART, here!!!!</p>

<p>That's borderline despicable.</p>

<p>If you think the UC system is absurd, then it's not for you. Find a college that is a better fit. </p>

<p>btw: I believe the UTexas system is gonna add an art/music requirement.</p>

<p>I don't see how the "Visual & Performing Arts" requirement is despicable at all. I think that's a pretty important subject area for high school students.</p>

<p>At any rate, you're lucky you can qualify by testing. Good luck.</p>

<p>Stop complaining and start studying. </p>

<p>They have requirements like any other college has. Two years of a foreign language? When do I plan to go to Mexico? Uh, never. You are going to enter college and have a whole new array of requirements to fulfill to graduate. The requirement to take an art or music class is not absurd at all, and will in the long run benefit your overall education.</p>

<p>Yeah, but it's too late. I just found out about the music/art requirement a year ago. Unfortunately, I couldn't fit in music/art into my schedule for senior year.</p>

<p>To answer the question; anyone can apply to the UC campuses even if they do not meet the minimum eligibility requirements. However, being selected for the campuses you applied to might be difficult.</p>

<p>My son did not have the arts requirement when he applied. Actually, since he homeschooled and did not take a single class with an acredited institution, he had NONE of the a-h requirements. What he did have was high SAT scores (800/730/740/800/800) plus another 800 and a 790. He also had 7 AP exams all with 5s and was going to take 4 more in his senior year. He also had some amazing honors in math. </p>

<p>There is nothing on the application that specifies if you are applying by exam. That was disconcerting. When you go to submit it makes you confirm that you do not have the A-Gs. </p>

<p>He got accepted at UCLA, UCB and UCSD (so it is possible to get into the selective schools). He was also asked to apply for regents at UCLA and UCSC. He got turned down by UCSC (seriously!!)</p>

<p>He did not apply for regents, nor attend UCs.</p>

<p>I called UC and was told that a one-semester 3 credit community college class would meet the requirement. For those who don't qualify for the exemption based on test scores, this would be good option, plus it's transferable college credit.</p>

<p>ok anotherparent i think your son's circumstance is a LITTLE different considering he scored near perfect on all his tests... -_-</p>

<p>his academic prowess is certainly commendable but i dont think you can parallel his situation with the creator of this thread.</p>

<p>well, the OP didn't actually say what his/her scores were beyond being high enough. </p>

<p>The point is that the whole entrance by exam does work. Last year I found very little about it on these boards, and we just had to sort of figure it out. No one knew anyone who has done it. Indeed, only about 300 people use it each year. I came over to see if I can offer support.</p>

<p>anotherparent is correct. It's likely that the vast majority of in-state kids who become eligible by testing alone are homeschoolers, but testing alone is also used by kids who are OOS. </p>

<p>UCDAdmissions: You should go into politics! :) </p>

<p>Are you saying that kids who are ineligible for admission can and are accepted somewehere in the UC system? Or, are you saying, 'anyone can apply, but if you are ineligible, your acceptance chances at Davis are zero for all intents and purposes'? (Let's ignore Merced for this discussion.)</p>

<p>OP, stop being butthurt. These requirements have been around for a long time, and if you cared, you'd have looked them up a while ago.</p>

<p>Also, it's not <em>only</em> music/art. You can fulfill the requirement with lots of other classes. If you're in a CA HS, your school should have a list of UC-approved courses and what requirements they fulfill.</p>

<p>I looked them up a year ago; I already stated that.</p>

<p>Oh ok, my bad.</p>

<p>No prob, Feez. Whatever, I guess I'm not applying to the UCs.</p>

<p>Although rare and difficult, students who do not meet minimum eligibility requirements can be admitted to a UC campus.</p>

<p>You could have easily taken an art or music class at a local community college. I took classes at my local community college back when I was in high school, and in high school my schedule was full of AP classes and all that jazz.</p>

<p>I can't quite understand why you're surprised that you're illegible for UC, even though you've known for a full year that you don't meet all the requirements.</p>