NSLI-y 2021-2022

Did not receive anything for Arabic yet. Is it normal to take this long?

me neither :cold_face:

btw anyone who has had the interview – how was it?

D had her interview for AY Mandarin back in December (via Zoom). She was very surprised at how short it was - she was asked about 6 questions total and it was over in less than 30 minutes. She felt she did well, but with so few questions, maybe not?

So my interviewers weren’t affiliated with NSLI-Y at all but it was really nice! I was late to mine because of Internet issues, but they were accepting of that. Very relaxed.

My daughter had her AY Mandarin interview before the holidays. Since she was a semi-finalist last year she knew what to expect. In total, her interview lasted just over 1 hour. There was great 2-way dialog with the adult interviewers and past program participant. Questions are specific to each applicant so it is hard to give much guidance.

Best of luck to all!!!

thank you all!

Did you get the interview for your second choice- Chinese?

nope, all the questions the lady asked me were about my first choice

I haven’t heard anything about arabic yet. I just assumed that I was rejected, but I don’t know of anyone who’s been contacted for an interview.

Earlier today I got an email saying i’ve qualified for an interview (Arabic summer). It also says something about interviews being on rolling basis, so don’t lose hope! There’s still a month left of the interview notification period - you got this!!

1 Like

When’s your interview? Good luck!!

Same! I also received an interview request for arabic summer today! The email said the interviewer would contact you to schedule a time and date!

Received interview for Arabic as well. Thank you!

Thanks for sharing. Are the questions based on what the applicant provides in the application? Are they expected to speak a few words in the language for they are selected?

From my experience the interviewers did not have access to my application and the questions seemed like some from a generic set that they ask everyone. I have not heard of anyone being required to speak the language they selected during the interview either.

I just turned in the medical evaluation form today and I already submitted my photos so everything is done but I was reviewing my emails when I noticed two emails saying my transcript was missing despite pestering my counselor over multiple emails about it and she assured me it was sent but now the date for transcripts have passed and apparently they don’t have my transcript. I just emailed American councils about the situation but I don’t know if I’m still eligible since the transcript due date was the 8th of February… I’m a 2020 VNSLIY mandarin cohort. I applied for the summer mandarin program and I’m just very stressed about my language learning journey just ending here with technical difficulties when I have come this far so I’m here to vent a bit :(( currently waiting for a response back. Any advice?

It would most likely be great if you had emailed your counselor and could provide NSLI-Y with ‘proof of nagging’ and her saying that they were sent.

I mentioned that in my email so if they did want to follow that up I could provide it but I didn’t want to fault blame entirely because I also didn’t see the two emails they sent about the missing transcripts before the deadline.

1 Like

Okay I just called them and so they’re aware of my email and situation so they should reply faster. They said I could send in the emails with my counselor if I wanted so I just did. Hoping for the best rn 🥲