Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN)

Gannon came back with this in last nights mail and an actual phone call from the college. (nice personal touch)

Cost applicantion Common App Tuition Room and Board Merit Final Cost
Gannon Free Yes 36,000 13,530 20,000 29,530
1 Like

We are fresh from the URI tour. D22 applied to URI (and a few others) EA in September- no response yet. The admissions rep who gave the overview before the tour claimed, in no uncertain terms, that URI Nursing is direct admit and that “every admitted student is guaranteed a seat for the full four years.” Obviously this is a point of confusion and runs counter to the wording and fine print in the website. I refuse to get too worked up over this until she is admitted, but well worth an inquisition if she gets in!
Anyone have more info on this?

2 Likes

We visited and really liked Gannon!

1 Like

Acceptances so far…(update)

3.7+ UW, No Test Scores
U of Portland, $17,775 merit
Marymount University, $23,500 merit

3 Likes

@OceanAir - URI early action deadline is Dec 1 and the students will receive their decision by end of January.

Most Direct admit BSN programs in the northeastern states seem to have early action and not rolling. So, receiving a decision early is not possible as far as I understand.

URI website does say that they are direct-admit BSN and that they begin their clinical in the sophomore year. if the admissions rep confirmed this, you shouldn’t worry at all. URI seems like a good program. If you are from Rhode Island, then URI would be in-state and provide a great deal, cost-wise. Their NCLEX pass rate also is listed as above 90% during the last few years.

What fine print did you find that makes you worry?

1 Like

As far as URI Nursing:
Below is copied and pasted directly from the URI College of Nursing Catalog page:

Entry and Progression Policy
• Entry into the College of Nursing is competitive and seats are limited. Students are required to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a grade of “C” or better in all prerequisite courses to be considered. Entrance into the College of Nursing and clinical course sequence is not guaranteed once meeting these requirements. Placement is competitively granted based on success in prerequisite criteria. Those who meet the minimum criteria but do not achieve a seat will be considered the following semester, in the same competitive manner. The College of Nursing and clinical course sequence is determined at the close of the spring and fall semesters.

https://web.uri.edu/advising/files/2019-2020-4-yr-CS-Nursing.pdf

-----Thoughts? Thank you for any insight you have!

The pdf you shared is from 2019-20. I found two college confidential links that discuss this issue you raised about from 2014 and 2017 respectively.

It looks like you spoke to the admissions rep recently who completely countered the information we found. Your DD should write an email to the admissions and ask them to confirm if the admission to BSN is guaranteed for all students or not. She should also ask for the latest pdf from 2020-21 or 2021-22 cycles of their 4yr-CS-Nursing program.

Anyone on here applied direct admit to nursing programs in the south - specifically Clemson or UTennKnox?

I noticed that too, though it was a bit odd. So, this appears to be the most current info on their website. We should hope if that info was no longer accurate, it would be removed and updated. I will certainly ask about that &/or have DD send an email. Great advice.
Thanks again- so appreciative of the feedback!

1 Like

My daughter applied to both. Haven’t heard anything yet! Your experience?

Acceptances so far…(update)

3.7+ UW, No Test Scores
U of Portland, $17,775 merit
Marymount University, $23,500 merit
Creighton, $19,000 merit

4 Likes

D22 got her acceptance to UDel yesterday. Very unexpected to hear so early. No answer on honors or merit yet and she’s unlikely to pivot from her decision to attend Pitt, but is very happy all the same to have been accepted!

5 Likes

So York money came in this morning.

Waiting on a lot more schools. They are trickling in…

Scholarship monies are exact. T, R, and B should be in the ball park. This doesn’t include any extra fees or charges. (Just T, R, and B) Some schools its hard to discern the exact cost. I have included it because I’m linear and like comparing the end numbers.

I wonder if nursing schools will get the numbers as in past years due to COVID. Its very quiet on CC for nursing. Maybe Im wrong? In past years it seems it was more active.

Application Common app Tuition R and B Scholarship Cost (T, R and B)
Hood College Free Yes 41,060 13,200 50% 33,730
Duquesne Free Yes 43,526 14,144 19,000 38,670
York College PA Free Yes 18,910 11,540 11,000 19,450
U of Akron Free Yes 15,500 12,296 8,500 19,296
U of Arizona $80.00 Yes 36,718 13,350 35,000 15,068
Bloomsburg University $35.00 No 22,782 10,468 7,000 26,250
North Dakota State $35.00 No 13,400 9,078 3,000 19,478
Indiana Univ of PA $25.00 No 18,889 10,920 5,500 (pus 1k) 23,309
Clarion University PA $35.00 No 16,102 12,930 7,000 22,032
Youngstown State $45.00 No 9,500 9,775 3,000 16,275
Gannon Free Yes 36,000 13,530 20,000 29,530
U of New Mexico $25.00 No 24,500 10,396 17,053 17,843

She has lots of amazing opportunities there!! Any sense of which way she’s leaning?

As someone who works in nursing academia, I can tell you that our applications keep growing thus reducing acceptance rates to the direct admit programs.
Experience, personal essays, and of course gpa and relevant courses matter. Physical space for labs/simulations and clinical site access along with lack of nursing instructors will limit most nursing schools from ability to expand their programs.

1 Like

@tumagmom

Her number one at this point if PLU which we haven’t heard back from yet. (Should hear back in Dec though because she got her application in by the last deadline) If cost wasn’t a factor, U of San Fran. For this list, realistically, I think it would be between UNM and York. Without seeing the colleges in person, they are just pictures on a page for her. Trying to lay out some trips to visit regions.

@2plustrio Do you mind saying what state you are in? I really meant the nursing boards here are pretty quiet. My daughter works as a CNA right now and that truly shows me she is made out for this. 4- 8 hr shifts in a row this past week with some days in the red zone with COVID pts so needing to have full PPE and she comes home happy. It’s a strange time to be joining the nursing profession right now. Im proud of her but then feel like I should tell her to run the other way at times. Sometimes I think I would like to quit my nursing job and work at Trader Joes. They all seem so happy. :wink:

3 Likes

Perhaps a column of what the grade and GPA requirements to stay in the nursing major would be another useful column to have in your table. For example:

York PA: 3.0 GPA cumulative, 2.0 grade in all nursing courses, only one repeat or withdrawal per nursing course.
Youngstown State: 2.0 GPA cumulative, C or higher grade in each major course, only one required course may be repeated once.
New Mexico: 3.2 GPA, no prerequisite grade lower than C.

1 Like

@ucbalumnus

Happy to do that… :slight_smile:

Will do that when I post the next list.

I’m in the upper midwest.

Nurses are stressed and strained. Many are quitting to do other things. But I love my job and can’t imagine doing anything else.

1 Like

@2plustrio

I love the patient part of my job. There is nothing more rewarding…

Its the ever changing Medicare regulations, the managed care insurances that won’t pay for anything and then you look like the bad guy when patients aren’t getting what they need. Insurance companies are in charge now and it isn’t pretty. Its the fact that at 28 yrs of experience and hard work, a nurse with 1 yrs experience gets paid the same as I do. This is my fave: when its nurses week, your company gets you a lunch bag and water bottle with the companies name on it (marketing) to show you how they appreciate you. :wink: Im not going to even mention COVID because that in itself is a monster…

As you said, I cant imagine doing anything else, BUT there are days that I would like to think that the grass is greener on the other side.

So for now, I will appreciate the fact that I raised 4 kids and felt like a stay at home mom because I worked night shift or weekends. I will appreciate the fact that it is good pay. I will appreciate all the people that I have met and cared for over the years. I will appreciate mine and my families good health as I reflect on those I care for that don’t have theirs. And lastly, I will appreciate my nurse manager and other coworkers that I would do anything for.

3 Likes