Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN)

So things are starting to trickle in. Posting in case this is helpful to anyone else.

We have had other admissions but no money offered yet. Also this was just the initial monies that the school offered so I will update if more $$ comes in.

My numbers for cost/ room and board might be off a bit. Some schools, its not very clear the exact amount. (I should be pretty close though)

All schools here are direct admit accept U of Arizona.

GPA 4.0 UW, no test scores, CA resident

Would love if others post theirs too.

Cost applicantion Common App Tuition Room and Board Merit Total cost
Hood College Free Yes 41,060 13,200 50% 33,730
Duquesne Free Yes 43,526 14,144 19,000 37,876
U of Arizona $80.00 Yes 36,718 13,350 35,000 15,068
Bloomsburg University $35.00 No 22,782 10,468 7,000 26,250
North Dakota State $35.00 No 13,400 9,078 3,000 19,478
Indiana Univ of PA $25.00 No 18,889 10,920 5,500 (pus 1k) 23,309
Clarion University PA $35.00 No 16,102 12,930 7,000 22,032
Youngstown State $45.00 No 9,500 9,775 3,000 18,975

U of A is clearly the best deal so far but is not direct admit. Youngstown in in second placeā€¦

To me the winner is Duquesne with UPMC Mercy literally on the campus of the school and the other UPMC hospitals a minute bus ride away. Duquesne has a long history of Nursing, an excellent reputation in the region and a very high nclex pass rate. They are also currently building a new Medical School which is supposed to be completed pretty quickly.
Please visit Youngstown, Ohio before EVEN considering itā€¦ Iā€™ll leave it at that.

@caz0743

Im just providing info on the costs of nursing (esp for CA students since we are an impacted state) so when I say the best deal, I am referring to $$.

I went to nursing school in OH (Cedarville) and all I remember is cows, corn, cold, and conservative. Def not out first choice. BUT to pay 156K over 4 yrs compared to 76K, that is crazyā€¦

Life lesson I want my daughter to learn: You can buy a used car and go on about your life making the best of it or you can go buy a brand new top of the line car and be in debt. She will find her people wherever she goes.

College is just a blip. My daughter will go on to be a travel nurse, just like I did, and live in the coolest places that the US has to offer. The great thing about that is everyone has a different idea of what the coolest place is.

Not everyone desires to pay off loans and have their kids be in debt.

If money were no object, she would be a U of San Fransisco. But it isā€¦

She applied broadly and yes I agree that Youngstown is the least desirable from our list but I think its good for people to see what options there are.

I hesitate to list the schools she applied to at the risk of people saying its ridiculous to apply to so many schools. The only reason for all the applications was to get $$ figures on each school then pool the top 5 or 6, then pick. Most applications were freeā€¦ (So please no comments on how many schools)

Her brother who is also applying this go round only applied to 8 schools because his major is not nursing.

U of Portland
U of Utah
Carroll University
Hood College
Pacific Lutheran University
Duquesne
York College PA
Westminster Utah
Monmouth
The College of NJ
Xavier
U of Akron
Cleveland State
U of Arizona
Loyola Chicago
Regis
University of San Fransisco
ASU
U of Scranton
Bloomsburg University
North Dakota State
Indiana Univ of PA
Clarion University PA
Youngstown State
Creighton
Gannon
Marquette
U of New Mexico
San Diego State University
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State San Marcos
UCLA
UC Irvine

I understand it is necessary to apply many schools, especially if merit scholarships and costs are important factors. I just wanted to mention Gonzaga University as a another potential school to consider. Gonzaga has a direct admit BSN program, offers significant merit scholarships, and has a consistently high NCLEX pass rate.

1 Like

Not to add another to your list but maybe look at University of Hartford. My S was accepted with lower stats and COA ended up around $25k (he was an engineering major). Nice campus in a decent area, lots of hospitals around.

1 Like

You also may want to look at the University of Pittsburgh. It is ranked 7th in the country for their Nursing Program with a 96.5 % NCLEX pass rate.

2 Likes

@RNmomof4 Wouldnā€™t the most affordable route be a 2 year community college commutable from your home, then get hired as an RN and have the hospital pay for the BSN? Thatā€™s what my cousin did.

1 Like

Pitt would be over $55,000 ($45,000 for tuition and fees alone) for an out of state nursing student. Chances of getting enough merit to bring COA to a reasonable level for the OP are minimal.

3 Likes

Agree but OOS gets more merit than in state. She could get as much as 20, 000 a year. Also, Duquesne is on the list and runs about 55,000.

1 Like

Agreed. I am likely biased as D22 will be attending Pitt for Nursing, but on the Pitt thread many OOS applicants are receiving $20k per year bringing the cost just under that of Duquesne.

1 Like

@Krampus
I had looked at Gonzaga. The cost is 66K. The highest merit that I see is 22K. She def loves that location. Ill look and see if they have additional scholarships like a presidential.

@taverngirl Will check it out, thanks

@Haw511 Will dig a little deeper thanks

@caz0743 For some that is a great option. The AA programs here in So Cal are very difficult to get into. All pre req need to be met ā€œbefore applyingā€ (not in progress) and a bunch of other hoops to jump through. So that route is more like 3 years. She has also been at that CC since freshman year doing dual enrollment. She has 90 units already (4.0) and 2 AA degrees. Because she is a stellar student and the fact that she will likely go on to get an advanced practice degree, we want to go the BSN route. I would just like to keep the total degree under 100K. Im confident that we will be able to do that. :slight_smile:

I know that some schools on the list are quite $$$. I suppose it was just seeing what aid she would actually get. Our EFC is 25K so that works against us. This is our first rodeo so I had no idea what merit aid or other scholarships she would get. She has applied to a few full tuition scholarships and her essays are good but I know thats a long shot. (not as bad as winning the lottery though :))

Yes, you need a solid nursing education and need to pass the NCLEX but more importantly, its about the hands on experience you get at your first job. We live near UCLA and she can get a job there when she graduates. It doesnā€™t really matter where she goes to school.

Just a quick FYI. Check the requirements for number of semesters required to graduate from the nursing program at each school. I donā€™t know if you were counting on decreasing tuition costs as your daughter will have 90 credits. Some programs will still require at least 7 semesters.

@ECmotherx2

Most of the schools on this list require the full 4 years (minus ASU, U of A, Utah, PLU, Hood) and Im not sure about the Cal States and UCs. We have a pulse on most of the requirements. If she wasnā€™t 16, I would push for finishing in 2 years. Most of the programs require that you be 18 to start clinicals. She has completed most pre req nursing and all gen ed at the CC. Some take all and some take just gen ed.

@RNmomof4 My son graduated at 16 and during his freshman year as a pre-med, I just had to sign paperwork for his shadowing and other hospital involvements.
He was not restricted because of his age.
Not sure about nursing but if a school does require her to be 18 that might limit what she is able to do for a couple of years. Most schools in PA start clinicals sophomore year.

@RNmomof4 PA as in Pennsylvania nursing schools :slight_smile:

1 Like

My daughter received more than $22,000 in merit at Gonzaga, so they must have raised the maximum amounts that you saw posted. Still, even with merit scholarships, private schools are expensive. For us, the public school option of University of Washington is not direct admit, and the upper division BSN program only has a 15% acceptance rate for sophomores who complete the pre-nursing classes. My daughter did not want to take that risk, so we were forced to look at private schools. Of the private direct admit schools on her list, which included Case Western, TCU, Loyola Chicago, Marquette, U of San Francisco , U of Portland, and Seattle U, it was Gonzaga that offered the highest merit and had the lowest overall cost. The lower cost of living in Spokane helps too. She has been happy with the smaller class sizes compared to public schools, and the basketball games are really fun. A lot of people seem to overlook Gonzaga, so I just wanted to mention it.

7 Likes

Acceptances so farā€¦

3.7+ UW, No Test Scores
U of Portland, $17,775 merit

1 Like

@RobertBoxer,Thanks!

Akron and UNM $$ came in today so here are a few more numbers.

Cost applicantion Common App Tuition Room and Board Merit Total Cost
Hood College Free Yes 41,060 13,200 50% 33,730
Duquesne Free Yes 43,526 14,144 19,000 38,670
U of Akron Free Yes 15,500 12,296 8,500 19,296
U of Arizona $80.00 Yes 36,718 13,350 35,000 15,068
Bloomsburg University $35.00 No 22,782 10,468 7,000 26,250
North Dakota State $35.00 No 13,400 9,078 3,000 19,478
Indiana Univ of PA $25.00 No 18,889 10,920 5,500 (pus 1k) 23,309
Clarion University PA $35.00 No 16,102 12,930 7,000 22,032
Youngstown State $45.00 No 9,500 9,775 3,000 18,975
U of New Mexico $25.00 No 24,500 10,396 17,053 17,843
1 Like

UNM is WUE plus Waiver is basically NM residency rate.

Akron is Presidential Scholarship for 22K over 4 years and then another 3K per year for the advantage award. (So basically 8,500 per year)

So for U of Portland, I have that in the neighborhood of 47,478 for tuition and then 14,196 for room and board. With a 17,775 merit scholarship that comes to a cost of 43,899 per year.

1 Like