Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN)

Around here, I get the impression that nurses are rather dissatisfied with their employers.

1. Nurses at any large hospital or other health care entity have unions. That they would form unions is itself an indicator of dissatisfaction.
  2. Nurses’ unions threaten to go on strike, or actually do go on strike rather frequently (every few years, presumable whenever their contract is expiring).

Is this basically the same everywhere?

I cant really speak for unions. I have been out of the hospital for quite some time. My time in the hospital was 12 yrs in the ICU with travel nursing all over the county. Little by little, the support people started to disappear and the nurses did more and more. My last ICU gig, a union attempted to come into the hospital and actually failed. A few years later, the the nurses actually voted in the union. For home health, I have no option of a union. I can only speak for myself and the frequent conversations I have with co-workers. We do it because we love our patients. The ancillary support is lacking, the paper work never-ending, and the headache of trying to get your patient what they need while dealing with Medicare and insurance companies is not ideal…

I have never worked for a union.
But yes, many nurses are striking due to unsafe patient ratios and lack of support from administration after physical or persistent verbal abuse. Also, oftentimes hospital administrators are getting substantial raises or bonuses while staff gets pennies for increases and the occasional pizza party as a thank you.

1 Like

Daughter stats
4.0 UW
No ACT/SAT

Some good news this afternoon. Daughter got into PLU with a 32K scholarship. There is also info on a housing grant of 2500. Im not sure I fully understand that. (She is also applying for the presidential scholarship so crossing our fingers that will also bring down the cost) But for now, it is doable. I truly feel like this will be a good fit for her and she will easily find her people there.

U of Porland also came in. Good merit but still way too expensive.

Still need to input the weed out GPA’s but they aren’t all that easy to find and there are little details that won’t fit into my grid. :wink:

Application Common app Tuition R and B Scholarship Cost (T, R and B)
Hood College Free Yes 41,060 13,200 50% 33,730
Duquesne Free Yes 43,526 14,144 19,000 38,670
York College PA Free Yes 18,910 11,540 11,000 19,450
U of Akron Free Yes 15,500 12,296 8,500 19,296
U of Arizona $80.00 Yes 36,718 13,350 35,000 15,068
Bloomsburg University $35.00 No 22,782 10,468 7,000 26,250
North Dakota State $35.00 No 13,400 9,078 3,000 19,478
Indiana Univ of PA $25.00 No 18,889 10,920 5,500 (pus 1k) 23,309
Clarion University PA $35.00 No 16,102 12,930 7,000 22,032
Youngstown State $45.00 No 9,500 9,775 3,000 16,275
Gannon Free Yes 36,000 13,530 20,000 29,530
U of New Mexico $25.00 No 24,500 10,396 17,053 17,843
U of Portland $50.00/free Yes 47,478 14,196 26,000 35,674
Pacific Lutheran University Free Yes 46,816 11,150 32,000 25,966
4 Likes

If the school has a nursing major handbook, the weed-out criteria are often found somewhere in it.

1 Like

Did PLU offer admission into the university or did your acceptance say school of nursing? Thanks.

Good morning @RobertBoxer

All it says in the admission portal is “We are pleased to offer you admission to Pacific Lutheran University for Fall 2022.” So I don’t see nursing specifically.

But here they say

Application Priority Dates & Decisions

There are four application priority dates for Nursing Conditional Admission: October 25, November 15, December 15 and January 15. Students who submit all admission materials and the online Nursing Conditional Admission application prior to one of these dates can expect a conditional admission decision prior to the next decision date.

My daughter had her application in by Oct 25th.

I will have her email them on Monday but Im pretty sure we are good. :slight_smile:

Also to add that she would also get * $2,500 per year Housing Grant (if you choose to live on-campus) and the * $1,000 per year Visit Scholarship

which bring the cost down another 3,500 to 22,466.

1 Like

Congrats @RNmomof4! That’s a great price AND your first choice.

I have this strange peaceful feeling about this one.

She is an artsy quirky kid, who is a fierce advocate for people that are marginalized. I think she will find that family environment at PLU with other thoughtful quirky kids.

Its a quick flight from LAX and flying into Tacoma/Seattle is pretty cheap.

I want to bring her there after Thanksgiving maybe beg of Dec. The only real negative is that from what Ive read, it is not in the safest area. In doing research, the campus bubble is safe but the outlying areas not so much. I have also heard that the campus is a bit dated. Hoping after seeing it, we will lock in and put a housing deposit in.

Maybe will take UCLA and UCI off the list since she hasn’t submitted yet. She would be happy not to have to fine tune her 4 UC essays. Thats also $200 worth of applications ($120 for UCLa and $70 for UCI) and the cost if she got in would be much more for both schools. SDSU, CSF, and San Marcos are already submitted.

If she gets into SDSU, that will be a big discussion. I suppose not getting in to SDSU will be the writing on the wall. Even with the middle class scholarship at SDSU, PLU will come in under that number. Its likely my son will be going to SDSU in the fall, (provided he gets in) so having them in the same school would be ideal. Ive heard good things about SDSU nursing so we would def have to weigh the options.

I love that PLU has a study abroad option too.

@RobertBoxer, what are your top 3 schools?

1 Like
  1. Gonzaga
  2. U of Portland
  3. U of San Francisco
    for now…we will see what our DD feels like after admission decisions are finalized and maybe a second visit
2 Likes

Anyone on here apply to direct admit nursing programs in the South? Specifically Tennessee Knoxville or Clemson ?

ASU came in…

GPA 4.0
OOS (CA)
No test scores

Pay special attention to the requirements. If not met, you are dropped from direct admit and have to apply with the non direct admit students. Not really a deal breaker for us because she has taken most all her nursing pre req already with dual enrollment with all A’s.

Application Common app Tuition R and B Scholarship Cost (T, R and B) Weed out GPA
ASU $70.00 Yes 28,800 13,510 15,500 26,810 3.5

Continuing Eligibility Criteria
Continuing Eligibility Criteria (CEC) are reviewed annually and subject to change.

• Enroll in the courses following the published course sequence on the BSN Nursing major map.
  • 3.50 minimum critical (prerequisite) course GPA each semester.
  • Courses taken at institutions other than ASU, during the required semester, must have the grades recorded on the ASU system by the final grading deadline (degree conferral dates) per the ASU Academic Calendar.
  • Grades of C or better in critical (prerequisite) courses.
  • Successful completion of all Health and Safety Requirements.

I understand this year that they cut their scholarships in half…

2 Likes

My D applied to Clemson.

1 Like

Question about whether a BSN program allows the graduate to sit for the NCLEX in their state.

How can I tell if a school’s curriculum meets the state’s requirement?
For example, I emailed the University of Hawaii, Manoa and they replied with this link of their licensure disclosure: https://manoa.hawaii.edu/ovcaa/professional-licensure-disclosure/

“The curricula of academic programs at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa (UHM) meet the requirements for certification in the State of Hawai‘i. It has not been determined whether the curricula meet the requirements for licensure in any other state or territory.”

What is a newbie parent of a nursing student to do? Will this program qualify for CA? Some BSN programs specifically say which states their program qualifies for. Others like this are vague.

Help?

@RobertBoxer

The info they sent you is clear as mud! I also cant find any info anywhere online in regards to this. They certainly should be providing more info to OOS students. We also applied to Manoa. (the Nursing CAS application was a drag) We ended up throwing an application that way because UNM also uses the Nursing CAS so it was easy.

1 Like

States change their rules from time to time.

As of recent, the only “issue” I have heard of is some programs didn’t have a microbiology course which California requires. Students worked around this by taking an online class.

@RobertBoxer - BSN programs publish NCLEX exam pass rates for their specific state. In general, any BSN would prepare students so they can attempt NCLEX. However, the idea is that students can do equally well in other states as well.

Students should do their due diligence such as looking at the nursing program graduation requirement before enrolling such as total credits to graduate, mandatory courses, electives, minimum GPA to remain in BSN etc. Depending on the syllabus
published by the NCLEX exam of your specific state, an out-of-state student should find out if there are any gaps (courses that are not covered) and use the elective slots to take these.

1 Like

@2plustrio - Usually BSN programs have elective slots which can be used by the students to take whatever courses they want. This would count towards total credits for graduation but would be on top of the mandatory courses. So, your student could potentially choose to take Microbiology as an elective.

Exactly. However, there are several programs now that students have zero choice of electives and block scheduling (such as where I work).

End of day, it hasn’t been a huge issue meeting California’s quirky requirements.

1 Like

I see, thanks. Do you work in a university in California or in other states?