Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN)

WOW I had no idea CSUF received 4k applications. Where did you read that at?

Could not find official listing online for Fullerton but SDSU posted online:

From the San Diego State website:
https://nursing.sdsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/FTFAdmissionProfile_2016-2020.pdf

@RobertBoxer: No GPA admit information for SDSU’s Nursing 2021 but they had 6011 applicants, admitted 439 and enrolled 153.
https://asir.sdsu.edu/admission-data/applications-by-major/

3 Likes

Im so glad that we have backups to Cal schools. It’s too bad that we don’t have more in state options. It is truly not an option when the few CA direct admit schools that we have are 3-5% admit rates.

Daughter has not received an invite for an interview from Fullerton as of today. (She is a stellar student)

Due to CC and previous posters we made a great list of oos direct admit schools and have been accepted to ALL schools (minus the Cal State schools) Many are even more affordable than the state schools. The only negative, is that most are a plane ride away or a VERY long drive. I suppose you could say this will be a reason to buy warm clothes for a Southern Cal born/raised kiddo. :wink:

4 Likes

Curious if anyone knows the answer to this.

For Fullerton, how many interviews do they offer? and how many do they choose from that pool for a yield of 40 students?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

@lisa9521 About 20 minutes into the presentation, the slide shows the stat: 4000-5000 applications for 40 seats. The next slide says they are looking for “grade trend” from Freshman to through Junior year. They have a waitlist until they fill 40 seats.

2 Likes

So not quite understanding grade trend. Google says lower grades as freshman trending higher through senior? So what if your child had good grades from freshman until now with tons of APs. Are they not looking for that?

Yeah I would like to know this too. Seeing they get 4k applicants. If nearly all get interviews then it’s pretty much the luck of the draw.

Looks like SDSUs chances are slightly better than Fullerton. I wonder why they admit so few. So frustrating.

Not sure why CSUF’s program is much smaller than SDSU’s but I agree that since there so few direct BSN programs in CA, they are so highly competitive.

2 Likes

My daughter was invited for a csuf interview. Not sure if all the invites are sent out at the same time

4 Likes

Upward trend = grades / GPA improve from 9th to 11th grade.
Downward trend = grades / GPA decline from 9th to 11th grade.

For non-4.0 GPAs, upward trend is better than downward trend (obviously, 4.0 GPAs have a level trend).

Dominican University of CA sent out an email with admission decisions this morning. They have not updated their portal yet.

1 Like

Dominican University of CA updated their portal. Admissions results have been posted. Interestingly, they changed their merit scholarships and now give less for Nursing majors.

1 Like

@BertCanFly

That is a bit of craziness. Mind you, we did not apply there but I have not yet seen a school do that. A nursing major would get 4 k less than a non nursing for a 4.0 and 5k less than a non nursing major for a 3.5-3.8.

@RNmomof4 And Computer Science majors do not get any merit. At all.

Gonzaga mailed their admission and financial offer yesterday. This is one of our top choices. Very happy for our D to be admitted.

All mentions are for the schools of nursing
3.7+ UW, No Test Scores

U of Portland, $17,775 merit
Marymount University, $23,500 merit
Creighton, $19,000 merit
Pacific Lutheran University, $29,000 merit + $2500 annual on-campus housing grant
Xavier, $20,000 + cost of all required text books
Marquette, $23,500 merit + $1500 annual on-campus housing grant
Azusa Pacific University, $19,000 merit
Saint Louis University, $22,000 merit
Gonzaga, $22,000 merit

7 Likes

Not too surprising, though. They probably know that CS and nursing will fill up with strong students, so they have no or less need to entice strong admitted students in those majors with scholarships.

Some colleges may be a bit more diplomatic by offering base level scholarships to strong admitted students in all majors, then offer additional scholarships to students in less popular majors that are desperate to improve the strength of students choosing those majors at those colleges.

I get that Dominican is a business but when you look at their “mission and values”, I don’t see anywhere where it says that if you work hard and get great grades and have financial need that they will give you support as long as its not nursing or cs since we can fill that with people who can afford it.

Our Mission

Our institutional mission is to educate and prepare students to be ethical leaders and socially responsible global citizens who incorporate the Dominican values of study, reflection, community and service into their lives.

Our Values

The University is committed to diversity, sustainability and the integration of the liberal arts, the sciences and professional programs.

The Dominican Sisters of San Rafael founded Dominican University of California in 1890. As one of California’s oldest universities, our history and traditions have helped build Dominican’s reputation for excellence in scholarship, research and service.

1 Like

This reminds me of a situation we faced a few years ago: my oldest daughter was in the last class admitted to Butler University’s 5-year accelerated PA program (they’ve since eliminated this direct-admit pathway to their PA school). It was her very top choice, but because they offer much less merit scholarship to those students than all other majors (since they could fill the program with full pay students) we decided it was just too far out of our budget and she ended up choosing a BSN program at a different university. With nearly 2 years of pandemic-era nursing under her belt, she’s very happy with her decision to go into nursing and is probably headed toward a DNP in gerontology.

But not cool on the part of Butler/Dominican.