Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN)

My daughter was admitted for direct entry nursing at Mount Saint Mary’s University. She’s scheduled for interview at Cal State Fullerton. Yesterday she was rejected for the pre nursing program at Cal State Los Angeles with a 4.33 CSU GPA. It’s easier to get into Harvard than nursing in California.

6 Likes

Well! daughter received her first denial today from Fullerton. Was not offered an interview. Its all good and we were expecting it.

-California student
-GPA UW 4.0
-GPA W 4.5
-Cal Sate GPA 4.19 (watered down due to so many DE classes)
2 AA degrees from local CC with 90ish dual enrollment credits and 4.0 at the cc
-Homeschooled through public charter
-current CNA license with work experience

This is our final list of schools that we whittled down to. We are visiting all schools in the next month

U of New Mexico (still need to hear from nursing)
York College PA
Indiana Univ of PA
Pacific Lutheran University
Westminster Utah
Bloomsburg University

Honestly, I see them all equal right now. Lets see after our visits.

5 Likes

@RNmomof4 We’ve been in touch before. Interesting that you’re still considering 3 of the Pennsylvania schools. My daughter has narrowed her choices down to IUP or York College. We’re planning to go to the 3/19 Admitted Students Day at York College. The Admitted Student Days at IUP are on Mondays, and my daughter doesn’t want to miss her phlebotomy course at school. We may go to a Saturday Open House in April, or just do a virtual visit on a Wednesday evening.

1 Like

Hi @kidzncatz!

We will be flying into Baltimore the end of March and will see the 3 PA schools over a 2 day period. Will be on a Thur/Fri so it will be a regular tour not a student admit day. All the schools so far have been very accommodating and have set up meetings with everyone we want to see. (housing, financial aid, nursing program, touring the campus)

THE GREAT news is that we have found solid programs that will actually cost less than our VERY impacted direct admit school in CA. My costs below include merit money and do not include fees and I rounded for the sake of simplicity. :wink:

Cost of Tuition/Room/Board after merit scholarships
U of New Mexico 18K
York College PA 21K
Indiana Univ of PA 23K
Pacific Lutheran University 23K
Westminster Utah 24K
Bloomsburg University 24K

Working on a trip to Westminster right now flying in early in the morning and then flying home later in the day. Its a 2 hr non stop out of LAX.

U of New Mexico hasn’t released the nursing acceptances yet so we shall see.

3 Likes

I vouch for UNM and hope she gets admitted.
My nephews attend there and we enjoy skiing at Taos. It also has extensive sports and extracurriculars for people that like that. Would students want to work in the area where they attend college?

2 Likes

We are between two schools now, Endicott and Saint A’s. Went to academic focus day for nursing at Endicott on Tuesday and my daughter felt strongly about the program…she really enjoyed the panel of nursing students who discussed clinicals and study abroad. Planning to attend the accepted students day at Saint A’s on Saturday and then will probably send the deposit next week. She had really enjoyed the Emmanuel accepted day, but is looking for a slightly larger campus and a built-in study abroad semester that Endicott offers. Endicott also offers a fifth year masters with 20% off tuition. If she is interested in an np program right away, this could be a great option.

2 Likes

We were at Endicott the other day as well. My daughter is giving the win to Emmanuel solely based on location, which is a bit of a concern for me (our other two college kids are in Boston). We have yet to visit her other top choice, University of New England in Maine. They have a campus in Morocco which interests her as she’s taken Arabic for four years. They split their time with two years in Biddeford and then two years in Portland so I guess she feels she’ll get the suburban and city life. She was not seeing herself at St. Anselm given the size and location for whatever reason, although one of my good friend’s daughters is graduating this semester and loves it there.

2 Likes

I’m thinking that something major will have to occur at St. A’s to sway her from Endicott at this point

1 Like

@MAandMEmom, @Massmom72 - Thanks for the update. It looks like your daughters are making progress and getting closer to deciding their final college.
My daughter has postponed attending admitted students’ day until march since she prefers enjoying her Feb break with friends!

2 Likes

Just reading this @InsomniaMom , but as an Ohio resident I believe that the price for West Virginia University might be off. According to this page there is a reciprocal agreement between Ohio and West Virginia, so you should be able to get in-state prices at WVU. Your daughter may have other preferences to rule it out, but I think that your out-of-pocket price listed here may be incorrect.

I did feel like the size at Endicott is just perfect, and I think if your daughter is liking it she will find St. A’s too tiny. Plus, that new building at Endicott…

2 Likes

We were at Endicott on Tuesday as well. They had mom and dad sold on the high rate of completion (they are NOT a weed out program) but DD is looking for a larger school. If anyone is considering Endicott, they have a lot going for them and the students seemed very connected to their professors.

We will be visiting Xavier at the end of the month and hope that DD likes the larger size.

She was accepted to U So Carolina but that is not direct admit and the GPA to progress to upper level classes is very high. What do students do if they are not accepted and have already invested two years of time and tuition? Anyone have experience with that school in particular?

Also, has U Tenn given any acceptances for their nursing program yet?

3 Likes

We are in SC and were told that U of SC is extremely hard to get into for upper level nursing. Hugh school grades won’t matter and lots of 4.0 college kids are turned away every year for entry. It is a risk.

Unfortunately, Nursing is not one of the “approved majors” that is part of the reciprocity agreement between WVU and Ohio. The numbers I showed are directly from my daughter’s customized Financial Aid Offer in her WVU portal.
See link: https://admissions.wvu.edu/cost-and-aid/ohio-tuition-reciprocity-agreement

1 Like

HI - I have a Sophomore daughter in the direct admit nursing program at Creighton. They are very generous with scholarships. With your daughters credentials, I bet they would make it very affordable for you. Please let me know if you have any questions about the school or program I can answer.

So are we thinking tonight or tomorrow?

@HVasconi

My daughter did apply to Creighton and received a 21K merit scholarship. It is still 10k higher per year than the schools that we are seriously looking at.

I addition, although they do take some dual enrollment, they wouldn’t take Anat/Physio/Microbiology/Chem that she did at the community college for dual enrollment. She would have to redo them. She suffered :wink: through them once and is not interested in repeating those classes. All the other schools she has applied to with take those classes no problem.

A friends daughter goes to Creighton and it is a very well respected program. I think its a GREAT choice. Just not for us…

Good luck to your daugher.

:slight_smile:

That’s too bad. Wish you could have been saved thousands!

1 Like

@Swimmingly - if Students are not accepted and have already invested two years of time and tuition, they just continue with their 4 years undergrad and then try again for the accelerated BSN or accelerated BSN + MSN program

Just curious to know - it seems that you have colleges on your list from different states - Cincinnati, South Carolina, Massachusetts, Tennessee. What was your criteria for picking colleges?

DD just heard from UConn that she was admitted to ACES exploratory program in Waterbury. She had only applied to nursing/Storrs campus. I’m assuming this means she was rejected from nursing, although the letter doesn’t specifically say that - is that correct?