Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN)

I have such high respect for Azusa who accepted my daughter back in December before Christmas. No fuss or worrying. It’s a great school with small classes. Safe and quiet campus. The students are wonderful and kind. Good luck to your daughter!

4 Likes

After being denied for direct entry BSN at SDSU, UC Irvine and UCLA yesterday she has decided to SIR at Fullerton.

Our journey is over. It’s been overwhelming and I am glad it’s over. So very hard for those of us Californians who want to stay in our state to utilize our resources. I would say to anyone reading this next year and chooses to apply to California schools, please apply to many. Cast a very wide net. Include 2 + 2s as well. What you want is options. And if you just apply to UCs and CSUs you won’t have any.

10 Likes

For future CA direct admit BSN students, Im hoping that the IN STATE California accepted students to SDSU, UCI and UCLA post here with stats and info that they felt got them in. I haven’t seen any posts. Congratulations to you all.

Love that @BertCanFly, @RobertBoxer and @lisa9521

(On a side note, how fun that 2 CC posters were at the same event)

5 Likes

Sorry about that photo folks! Meant to post it in the photos thread. No idea how I messed that up!

We’ve had a few updates this week I thought I’d share!

She declined her offer at University of Portland (seems great in many ways, but too cold, too far, too expensive), and decided not to join the waitlist at University of Washington. She’s been accepted at Florida Southern and waitlisted at University of Miami (to our surprise - were fully prepared for a rejection). Just waiting on UNC Charlotte! So the current list looks like:

Loyola New Orleans - accepted, pre-nursing (relatively easy to get into nursing program itself though), generous merit
Florida Southern College - accepted, direct admit, generous merit
University of Vermont - accepted, direct admit, in-state, some merit
UNC Wilmington - accepted, pre-nursing (definitely competitive/stressful to get into nursing program), out-of-state, no merit
University of Miami - direct admit, joined waitlist, may not hear until 6/15 (still her ‘dream school’ - would be dependent on getting significant merit because the COA is nuts)
UNC Charlotte - waiting, no direct admit, should hear by 4/1

At the moment, Loyola is the top contender. We learned last week that they will accept all of her community college dual enrollment credits and if she takes 2 more classes this summer, can likely enroll as a sophomore this fall, which would mean a major savings of time and money! We are visiting next week - It’ll be our first time visiting a college knowing she’s admitted and might actually attend, so we’re excited/nervous. If nothing else, we love New Orleans and will have fun spending a couple of days in the city.

I think by the end of this month, we’ll be pretty close to a decision and ready to commit (knowing that if by any chance she gets into Miami we’ll have to re-assess at that point!). Can’t wait!

9 Likes

Does California offer very few direct nursing and focus more on pre-nursing? I rarely hear about the Texas schools on CC. Maybe we’re too isolated and not direct.

Getting into UNC Charlotte’s nursing program is super competitive (my daughter has a very academically qualified friend who made a couple of attempts and was unsuccessful). I would hesitate to consider any non-direct nursing program unless your child has a fallback major that they’d be just as happy with.

4 Likes

The only true traditional 4-year direct admit BSN nursing programs we found in TX are: UT-Austin and TCU. Those two programs are CRAZY competitive as both schools get tons of applicants and only accept small entering cohorts of less than 200 each. It is helpful to know that many of the 2+2 programs (for example: TxState, Texas Women’s & Sam Houston State) hold the +2 nursing study years in different towns than the 1st two undergraduate years (the 2nd two years at TxState occur in Round Rock, for Texas Women’s they occur in Dallas or Houston and for Sam Houston State the +2 occur in the Woodlands). Nursing Almanac is a good resource for reading about all programs in a state. Here is the Texas link:

1 Like

Yes, California has limited direct BSN programs and all Nursing programs in California are impacted.

1 Like

@tristatecoog

Considering the size of the state, CA really doesn’t offer that many direct entry programs. (for the state schools that do, oos students are offered some of those spots limiting those options even more). After this past application cycle, I can say with certainty that BSN public direct admit options in CA would be like winning the lottery. There are a handful of private schools in CA that offer direct admit but they are expensive if you dont qualify for aid. CA has many more 2 plus 2 options but they are also very competitive, which can take extra years if you don’t get in the first go round (Many 4.0 students dont get in and have to reapply the next cycle). Our local community colleges are also very competitive and can add extra years as well.

I think that every student needs to evaluate their situation. In CA, If you are a 17/18 yr old kid and can afford to go oos, that is the best option in my opinion to finish in 4 years. If you are a young adult with a baby and need to stay put for family support, then the CC seems to be the best option by just getting your AA then at a later date getting your BSN. The CC route will likely take 3-4 years because you need to take all the pre reqs before applying and its a 2 yr program after meeting the pre reqs (Anat/Physio/Stats/Micro/Chem/ect.) The CC route would still require top stats at least in our area. I suppose another option is to get an LVN then do a bridge program. We did not research that option.

I dont have a pulse on the Texas schools.

3 Likes

There is a shortage of nursing teachers in California. It’s what I was told by a nursing advisor. Nurses tend to go the NP, nurse anesthetist, or even PA route rather than going into teaching after obtaining their MA. Because of this the direct entry programs have very few seats. You couple that with the UCs and CSUs going test blind and you have a recipe for more applications than you have seats. Fullerton had just 50 seats out of 3k applications. SDSU hasn’t published numbers yet but I am going to guess they had thousands more apps than seats. UCLA has always been hard and UC Irvine I believe only had 50ish seats as well. Just too many well qualified applicants.

From what I can see the direct entry BSN programs take OOS applicants first, then high stats, then local kids. By the time they get to in state non locals they are nearly filled up.

Anyway there are plenty of other options. Privates which are nearly the cost of the publics these days…and 2 + 2s.

1 Like

Great info but rather sad state of affairs with such impaction for an important field.

My two nieces went the CC route in Texas. Both graduated in three years with AA and RN while working PT. One is getting a BSN online while working. The other is 25 and makes six figures as a traveling nurse.

2 Likes

My daughter and I visited Westminster. We thought the welcome was phenomenal, the nursing professors she met were fantastic and knew their students so well. Also that they would have great placement opportunities with hospital right next door. And the area of Salt Lake City was v cool. In the end she thought it a little small - ended up at Creighton . I am glad your daughter has some good options. I am sorry that she has to go away to get her BSN but it will be worth it in the end!

1 Like

Thanks for that intel, that’s helpful! We’ve decided to put off detailed research into UNCC unless/until she gets accepted… but if it’s anything like UNCW, I can’t imagine she’ll end up there. The risk of not being able to pursue the degree she wants is just too high.

2 Likes

Most colleges are struggling to find nursing instructors. Academia pays very poorly.

4 Likes

If CA is like that Texas list, there are a dizzying amount of options. Tons of colleges offering BSNs.

From great students, I hear that TCU and UT-Austin are top targets because they aren’t 2+2 like the Baylor program. For average to solid students, the community college or regional university route seems to work well. However, I hear that A&P and chemistry are big stumbling blocks and then nursing track students head for other offramps like rad tech, sonography, etc.

Moving post here. LGBTQ son admitted to Adelphi, Drexel, MCPHS and Linfield for BSN. We know the type of areas each are in, but ignoring tuition (we can afford all), and he wants to go OOS and all are OOS, is there any feedback you could give to consider? We also know Drexel has a coop program. But other than that it is hard to know how to differentiate. We will visit the east coast schools in a few weeks.

I think that Drexel, adjacent to UPenn and in a city with a large LGBTQ population, might be the best choice, especially for social life. In addition, Drexel offers a wide variety of majors, in the off chance that your son changes his mind about nursing.

1 Like

Have you looked at the campus pride index for all of the schools? Or sought feedback from any LGBTQ clubs on the respective campuses?

Good points. Thank you!