Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN)

I have, I was wondering if anyone had personal or anecdotal knowledge.

1 Like

We visited Drexel this past weekend. We really liked it overall. Great location for a city life. Definitely a very urban campus. Lots of diversity in the students and the majors. They have a great fashion school so we saw some good outfits! We also loved the dorms. My daughter wasn’t in love with their coop program requirements and with the idea that she would have to stay in Philadelphia over the summers to take classes so we won’t pursue the school but I feel like it was a strong nursing option.

1 Like

For each school:

• Does he have direct admission to the BSN program?
    • If so, what is the weed-out college GPA (sometimes, you have to dig for the BSN student handbook to find it)?
    • If not, how is secondary admission to the BSN program done?
      • Automatic by college GPA (effectively like a direct admit program with that GPA as the weed-out GPA)?
      • Competitive?

@RMGC - Drexel is a good school. students can participate in 2 coops during 4 yrs and 3 coops during 5 yrs. Philly also has excellent hospitals and your S will have great clinical opportunities. Drexel also provides good healthcare-related volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Just anecdotal but a good friend’s daughter attended Drexel for nursing & was offered a job in the hospital there after graduation. She’s thriving.

1 Like

DD rejected from Villanova, waitlisted U Miami.

Going to visit Xavier for their accepted students day.

2 Likes

Nova rejection here too, but we were expecting that. Good luck in her final decisions!!

Posting final update to help next years applicants. :slight_smile:

3.98 UW GPA
27 ACT but only submitted to some
4 AP/14 honors
Strong ECs and LOR
Good essay
White female from PA

Duquesne, Accepted $23k annual merit
Pitt TO, Accepted $2k annual merit
UDel TO, Accepted $15k annual merit
Penn State TO, rejected from UP offered branch campus
U of South Carolina Pre Nursing, Accepted. Declined Admission before knowledge of merit
Scranton, Accepted $22k annual merit
Temple, Accepted $5k annual merit
James Madison, Accepted-Declined admission before merit announced
Villanova, TO-deferred EA, rejected in regular decision
Clemson, TO, Admitted to Health Science Major, no merit

5 Likes

Closing the loop as well:
No GPA (private Quaker school)
29 ACT (did not submit to Northeastern)
No AP classes at school/mainly honors
ECs ok (two varsity sports, shift supervisor at Mcd’s)
White female from MA

Updated for DD:

Note:

• We have access to a tuition program (TE) for employees of private colleges and universities which adds a whole extra stressful layer. We focused on those schools.
  • We will have three kids in college this year, so a few pennies of need are included in some of these as our EFC is high.
  • I never include loans or work-study

*University of New England - accepted, $23k merit, net $32k, received TE so full tuition award with net $17k afterward - will attend!
*Emmanuel College- accepted, $34k package, net $28k, denied TE
*Salve Regina University - accepted, $31.5k package, net $30k, received TE so $40k award with net $21k afterward
*Endicott College - accepted, $19k package, net $35k, waitlisted for TE
*Assumption University - accepted, $32k package, net $30k, denied TE
*UMass - accepted, $5k merit only, maybe about $22k net, TE not available
*UMass Boston - $10k merit only, maybe about $20k net, TE not available
*Roger Williams University - accepted, no nursing, hubby works there so no cost
*Sacred Heart University - accepted, $16k merit, didn’t calculate net as she’s not interested in the social scene there, no word on TE yet
*Northeastern University - deferred EA then denied TO, reach, sibling is a sophomore

8 Likes

Posting our final to help next year’s applicants.

3.82 UW 5.44W
1310 SAT (submitted to all)
7 AP/15 Honors
2 sport varsity athlete plus strong EC
White female from PA

Duquesne, Accepted Nursing, $21,000 annual merit
Pitt, Accepted Nursing, no merit
Penn State UP, Accepted Nursing, no merit
Scranton, Accepted Nursing, $22, 000 annual merit
Holy Family University, Accepted Nursing, $22,000 annual merit
Drexel, Accepted Nursing, $33,000 annual merit
Clemson, Accepted Nursing, no merit
West Chester, Accepted NOT Nursing, Biology, $2,000 annual merit
Villanova, Deferred EA- rejected regular decision

Headed to Penn State
Good Luck to everyone!

7 Likes

Update:
GPA: 89UW, 91W
1030 (submitted to some schools)
No AP courses, 1 dual-enrollment
Very good soccer player but decided not to participate in recruitment. Almost everyone else on her club team has committed to play varsity soccer in college.
Liberian-American (in multi-ethnic family with white single mom, 3 adopted siblings (2 Asian, 1 Liberian) in Pennsylvania

My daughter applied to 8 direct entry nursing programs. I was unsure if she would get accepted to any direct entry nursing programs, as she has been a vo-tech student in the Nursing Assisting program (now re-named Healthcare Pathways) since 10th grade and takes her academic courses online. She is an straight-A student in her technical program, A/B student in academic courses. Here are her results:

IUP (Indiana University of Pennsylvania) - SAT submitted - accepted for nursing
Clarion University - SAT submitted - accepted for nursing
Alvernia University - SAT may have been submitted by high school - accepted for nursing
Penn Tech (Pennsylvania College of Technology) - SAT submitted - accepted for pre-nursing
Messiah University - Test Optional - accepted for Nursing Pathways (pre-nursing)
Neumann University - SAT submitted - denied for nursing, accepted for psychology
Lebanon Valley College - SAT submitted - accepted for Exploratory Studies (entrance into nursing possible)
York College of Pennsylvania -Test Optional - accepted for pre-nursing

She received merit and need-based aid at every school we sent FAFSA to.

Recently, she has had second thoughts about distance from home and decided she didn’t want to be 3 hours away, so she ruled out IUP and Clarion. We visited York College (35-40 minutes from home) on Saturday for an accepted students day and she decided to go there. Although it is pre-nursing, admission to nursing is guaranteed with a 3.0 average. She also needs a 3.0 to keep her scholarship. She will need to study hard, but since she is determined to be a registered nurse, I think she’il be able to do it.

9 Likes

Pre-nursing with automatic admission to nursing with a 3.0 college GPA is basically equivalent to direct admit nursing with a 3.0 college GPA needed to avoid weed-out.

4 Likes

I love to see all of the updates from everyone. We are all getting closer!

CA kiddo visited Westminster (Utah) last week. GREAT school. I loved the vibe. Would work for daughter but she has Pacific Lutheran in first place right now. We will see PLU in a few days as we are Washington state right now. The only drag is that they are on spring break when we visit but we should get the info we need for her to make a decision.

@kidzncatz we will be visiting York and Bloomsburg next week after we see PLU. Thought about canceling the trip if she really feels PLU but because everything is prepaid and non refundable, why not just go?

Hoping that PLU can give us a little more money. It is a few thousand more than the others but still in our sweet spot. They did ask for copies of our other offers so crossing my fingers.

We should hear any day from U of NM. A denial would be a blessing in disguise. UNM will be the cheapest option by 10k so I dont want her to feel pressured if she really loves PLU.

This mama is tired
 :wink:

9 Likes

Updating with DD’s recent decisions:

My DD Class of ‘22 has applied to the following BSN programs:

Xavier ($24k merit)
Seattle U ($25k merit)
U of Michigan (deferred/waitlisted)
Boston College (Accepted, no merit)
Michigan State (Accepted Nurse Scholar $1,500 merit)
Emory (pending)

DD’s stats—
Always homeschooled
Residential pre-pro ballet school for 9th-12th grade
UW GPA 4.0/W GPA 4.47
ACT 34
8 AP’s (6 completed with 3-5’s; 2 in progress)

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone 
 this thread has been very helpful as we helped our DD Class of '22 navigate the college admittance process for nursing.

Thought I would share her stats, acceptances, and final decision.

Stats:
GPA 4.7 weighted (UW 4.0)
ACT 34
3 AP tests taken so far (all scores 4) 
 3 more to be taken this spring
Ranked 21 out of a class of 352
3 sport varsity athlete, NHS, special needs peer mentor in PE class

Applications:
Missouri State University (state school) - accepted, Presidential Scholar - full ride to include tuition and room/board all 4 years (NON DA - will have to apply to nursing school)

Purdue University - accepted to DA nursing, no merit

University of Mississippi (NON DA) - accepted, $25,000/yr merit

Clemson University - accepted to DA nursing, $11,000/yr merit

Creighton University - accepted to DA nursing, $24,000/yr merit

University of Arkansas (NON DA) - accepted, $14,825/yr merit

University of South Alabama - accepted to DA nursing, $10,320/yr merit AND OOS tuition waiver

Florida Atlantic University - accepted to DA nursing, $7,926/yr merit

We weighed everything (distance from home, financial implications, type of campus, feel when touring campus, etc). And we heavily looked at every financial scenario in a spreadsheet.

The full ride to Missouri State was impossible for her to pass up! And she loved the campus when she toured. It was in her top 2 contenders and the scholarship was the tipping point. YES, it is not direct-admit so she will have to apply for the nursing program during her sophomore year. But we figured even if she does not get in, she could get a 4 year Bachelors degree in biology, exercise science, etc and then move back home and do a one-year accelerated nursing program and still spend way less than the direct admit OOS nursing programs.

She is wanting to continue on to get her NP or perhaps even OT school, so she was very cost conscience and wanting to save as much as possible so she could use what we saved in her 529 to cover graduate school.

I know this is not the popular route given that she is not guaranteed into the nursing program, but for her and our family, this made the most sense.

Good luck to all of you and your kids as they make their final decisions! Once it is made, it is a huge relief :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Congrats! Based on her stats, I’m certain she’ll be good.

3 Likes

Sounds like an excellent decision!

3 Likes

@momoftwo74

I think that she made a great choice! Good for her! Cheers!

If we had a full ride option at a solid school, I would def take the chance and sounds like she will have the grades to progress in the program.

We just got into town and tour Pacific Lutheran tomorrow morning. Daughter is super excited! Drove through the snow covered mountains and there was about 10 elk feeding on the side of the freeway. Gonna have to buy this California girl some rain boots and a warm jacket!

5 Likes

According to UCI admin, I am on the nursing waitlist!

6 Likes

Dying to hear what your D has decided