Nursing Decisions on West Coast 2017: Where are you thinking of going and why?

Rejected from CSUF Nursing Program. Welp, bye California schools.

Who knew that CSUF would become such a selective institution, especially for nursing. It’s so crazy to think that the new minimum is 4550!

right?! i believe last year it was 4200!

@Nurse2017 what is your EI?

@davisgirl My eligibility index is 4532. Thought I had a chance by looking at last years scores.

I would not be surprised if the eligibility index for SDSU averages around 4680 for this year, since so many people apply with such high stats.

Hey @liquidsugar the same thing happened to me. They sent an email around the same time yesterday saying that my EI is below 4550 for SAT/1094 for ACT. I’m really confused because I was sure my EI was pretty high. Who knows… What do you think you’re gonna do now?

@jumpinjax17 mine was 4536 i was so close! :confused: i got into university of portland’s direct nursing program so i’m probably gonna go there! what about you? (:

My D got the same CSU Fullerton letter saying they changed the major to undeclared from Nursing. EI is GPA (weighted) x 800 + SAT (based on 1600 score). So pretty much 4.0 GPA + 1350 is cut off (or 3.69 GPA + 1600 SAT). They must had many good applicants. These requirements are higher than most of UCs and some UCLA majors… My take on this changing major is that my daughter was good enough for Fullerton to want to keep her there but not in Nursing. My D’s EI is 4458 but she’s from one of the toughest Irvine School District High school, well known for very hard to get As…

My D also got CSU Long Beach Nursing admission. Long Beach is not that far behind Fullerton but well, whatever… Waiting for UCLA, UCI, and SUSD. She also applied UCSB, UCSD, UCSC, and USC for communication major, which is her 2nd choice. You can tell she’s a Cali girl. Good luck to you all.

Just my two cents. There are way more good nursing schools in East Coast for sure but in the West, I don’t know all Nursing programs are all good. I know some nursing professors and DNPs. They are telling me otherwise and asked my daughter to go to schools mentioned above instead of National University, Azusa Pacific or other less known schools… Well, it’s not my words so please don’t get me wrong.

Admitted to SDSU Nursing 2/24/17
4.08 GPA
1280 SAT
31 ACT

Congratulations to all who have gotten in to SDSU and CSUF and good luck to those who are still waiting for the UC Nursing Schools. Hang in there to those not able to get in given this years admission requirement of 4.0+ and ACT ~30. A lot of wonderful, deserving non-A+ students are in the same boat with you; there are just not enough public Direct Admission Nursing in California and this does not reflect on your hard work and accomplishments in High School. Remember, the goal is Nursing and there are lot of other ways to get there. If you are now seriously considering other private schools you have gotten into, please let us know where you are going and why. My D is in the same boat, as her GPA of 3.8/28 ACT (29 Superscore) was not enough for the CSUs. She has gotten into 13 other Direct Admits with significant merit $ (obviously applied to way too many due to nervousness), including great privates on the West Coast and some great publics in the Midwest and East. Now she is trying to figure out where to visit during Spring Break and make her final decisions. This site has been a godsend to my D and without it, most likely she would not have these excellent choices. I’ll document her experience on another thread encouraging other A-/B+ California students to not give up and to give them a few ideas. Again, good luck to all Seniors!

Hi! I attend UCLA nursing currently and was admitted to UPenn nursing, UCI nursing, UW pre-nursing, Azusa Pacific nursing, Berkeley, and UCSD, please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck to all of you guys!!! You’re awesome :slight_smile:

If it helps with any reference to the stats conversation above, mine were:

Freshman year GPA: 4.0 (unweighted)
Sophomore year GPA: 4.0 (unweighted)
Junior year GPA: 4.6 (4.0 unweighted)
Senior year GPA first semester: 4.8 (4.0 unweighted)
SAT: 2210
ACT: 34
I took a few Subject tests (Spanish and US History) and got a 5 on the AP US History AP test, and I took English Honors and Spanish Honors as well as AP Biology and AP US History. I am currently taking AP Statistics, AP Composition and Literature, AP Human Geography and International Relations, AP Goverment and Economics, and Physiology and Anatomy

In terms of extra-curriculars, I am varsity speech and debate captain and I run cross country and also did track and field, and was a coxswain on the rowing team. I tutor other kids on the ACT and SAT, babysit, tutor junior high kids in math, and shadowed at a clinic that primarily serves low-income immigrant TB patients as well as several Neonatal Intensive Care Units. I got my Gold Award in Girl Scouts when I did a project with low-income students at a local preschool and taught them about nutrition and made a multi-cultural cookbook and published it with all their family recipes. I’m really active in my church, and was a leader in youth group, worked in the nursery, and taught Sunday School, as well as doing service things like helping out at the homeless shelter/foster dinners. I also spoke at a UAS (drone) conference at UC Davis about agriculture as part of a project funded by NASA that my debate team did to fundraise.
My UC essays were about how having brain surgery at age 13 changed the course of my life (but for the better!) and then another about being a sperm donor kid and how my that and my faith were responded to differently in the college town I grew up in.

Praying for all of you guys and your kids- it will all work out and you will end up in the right place! Hold on tight!

If it is any reassurance to UCLA hopefuls, I know plenty of people in my class with lower test scores but who were looked at in a really holistic, thoughtful way. It all works out!

@kgiesch how do you like ucla’s nursing program so far? :slight_smile:

I was just telling this to someone else, but here are some of my thoughts!

I think that LA was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Sometimes I get salty for a second because my best guy friends are at Harvard, NYU, and Georgetown and I’m like ahhhh I could have been Ivy League but then I realize that UCLA is literally perfect. I have actually been okay in the pre-med weeder classes even with the curves, and I surprisingly LOVE the experience of having classes with people other than just nursing students. At UCLA, you have one nursing class each quarter for the first two years. The first two that we just had are mostly about ethics and legal stuff and just like an intro to nursing, but anatomy is next quarter!
I honestly will never regret coming here because I realize that 70k for a nursing degree is freaking ridiculous, and in California, we can graduate and be making like 98k at age 22, and that’s incredible. The group is small- only 40 freshman and 10 transfers, and while I don’t always feel like I know every single nursing admin person like I would have at UPenn (they were wooing me so hard and meeting with me personally it was hilarious), I feel like UCLA I can go talk to people if I want to. Because of nursing I have never felt like I’m lost and faceless, and the set-up of the campus makes it so you actually see people you know all the time. I often pass several friends while walking to class and I didn’t really realize this before coming here but UCLA IS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL! My chem professor first quarter was so amazing and knew my name out of 700 students! You have small discussion sections with TAs and you can always get to know TAs and professors during office hours if you want. I have actually been getting good grades (though this quarter will probably tank my GPA a little more) but it’s just a great place to be. I’m having a hard time being coherent or articulate so I’m sorry but I just get really excited about this school! It’s so cool to take awesome GEs outside of the science sector and there are so many cool people - my best friends are nursing, engineering, and poli sci, so you can tell that people really meet each other from all different areas. ALSO THE FOOD - DIDN’T REALIZE THAT WOULD BE SO GOOD BUT IT’S SUPER HEALTHY AND AMAZING AND AHHH. UCLA is a really happy place to be too - everyone wants to be here and seems positive and cheerful (though we do complain, of course) as opposed to somewhere like Berkeley. I thought I wanted somewhere with “seasons” but the weather here has been perfect - enough rain to make me feel like its winter (I’m from NorCal) but snow would honestly suck and I realize how much better it is for my physical and mental health to have so much sunshine. I think at Penn I would have felt trapped, way too far from my family, and I would have been stressed all the time about the price. UCLA will get you anywhere you wanna go. As great as it would be to have only nursing students in my classes because there wouldn’t be as much competition, I have found UCLA and especially UCLA nursing to be a really funny, happy, collaborative place.
I have met several of the older students and they are all very close and friendly and supportive of us younger students - the seniors are even having dinner with us next week to answer questions! I wish we started clinical earlier, but waiting until junior year really isn’t asking that much of us and we wouldn’t be able to do much before that point anyway.
Overall, UCLA nursing is 10/10 :slight_smile:

@kgiesch awwwww reading this put a smile on my face! you seem so happy to be there and it sounds like an amazing experience! if only i was smart enough to go there too LOL

@kgiesch @biobabe101 Do UCLA nursing students take chemistry and biology with all of the pre-med majors? That sounds like it could potentially be very intense/stressful especially for the nursing students with lower stats.

@worldstudent Hey! Yeah, we actually do, and I was super worried about it, but it so far hasn’t been as bad as I thought. Honestly, I like the opportunity to meet non-nursing students, since I know that as a nursing class, we will be exclusively together for junior and senior year. I think that the only issue is if you really want to get A’s - the pre-meds are pretty desperate for them, but it’s definitely do-able to pass the classes if you study. Last quarter, I worked pretty hard and got an A-, and this quarter is a little harder but still do-able. The general vibe of UCLA is much more friendly and collaborative than, say, Berkeley. People are smart, but generally want to lift each other up instead of killing each other over GPAs. And for nursing students, we only need to get a C- in those pre-med weeder classes to stay in the program, so there is some leeway!

@kgiesch Good to know, but what if you’re thinking you may someday like to go back to school to become a NP or CRNA? Don’t you need a B+/A- average?

@worldstudent I can’t say for sure, but I plan on becoming an NP so I definitely have been looking into it. I hear that GPA matters, but that the clinical experience and recommendations you get from the two years between BSN and applying to grad school matter more. So I would say definitely think about it, but when I talked to the director of the UPenn program and told her that I couldn’t afford undergrad, she said that if I went to UCLA for undergrad she would accept me for Penn grad school in heartbeat! I hope that helps!