Nursing Decisions on West Coast 2017: Where are you thinking of going and why?

@worldstudent (obviously that’s no guarantee but I think it’s a cool indicator of how worried to be)

This is a guess here, but I would think it would be easier to get into a regular nursing masters program than a nurse practitioner program. There are many more seats available, and many more colleges that offer regular masters. Also, most regular nursing masters programs are designed to be part-time programs, which many employers will subsidize.

Going to a NP program full-time could involve an enormous amount of debt and lost income.

I’d be surprised if you have a good chance of being accepted to most NP programs with only 2 years of experience as a RN, but more knowledgeable people can correct me. The more years of experience you have as a RN, the less I would guess they are going to care about your undergrad GPA.

I posted on CSUF and SDSU admission 2021 threads but wanted to share here as well.
Accepted freshman direct admit nursing: CSUF and SDSU
Waiting for UCI and UCLA
GPA 4.08
ACT 31

Does anyone know when UCI and UCLA decisions will be released?

@davisgirl last year UCLA came out Friday, March 18th, and UCI started rolling out from early to mid March, but I didn’t hear back until Thursday, March 17th, so I would assume probably around March 15-17 this year :slight_smile:

@biobabe101 hi what were your high school stats? I am really curious because i am an senior and applied to the ucla SON with average stats but I like to believe that my statement of purpose really showed my passion for nursing (so hoping the essays compensate for avg stats)

@kgiesch Hi I was just wondering how much lower the stats were for some admitted nursing students at UCLA. Also have you met anybody who got gpa’s of 3.7-3.9 that got in the SON as a freshman.

@kgiesch hello I was also wondering if you knew anyone who had a uc gpa of 3.8 that also got into SON as a freshman at uci nursing and ucla nursing?

@KayfutureRN @staystrong0 I’m so sorry, guys… I assume there are some people who have lower stats but had really good essays, but once you’re in the program it’s a little awkward to ask about high school and stuff so I don’t know for sure! So sorry! If it’s any consolation, all of your questions will be answered in a week, and I believe fully that everyone will end up where they are supposed to be. I know it’s virtually impossible, but try not to stress too much <3 (I wish I had taken my own advice, it feels almost silly to say it because stress is such a natural reaction to the college process, but in a year you won’t feel any angst about where you are)

@kgiesch Don’t be sorry, I actually want to thank you because there are so few UC nursing students to find and talk to about the program, meanwhile you’re here really helping high school students out. I really hope the UC’s do view my application holistically because I think my essays really showed my passion for nursing and of course hope I get into at least UCI or UCLA direct entry.

@KayfutureRN No worries! I totally know how stressful it is, and in my town almost no one ever talked about nursing because it “wasn’t on the same level” as med school and stuff so I didn’t get a ton of advice from other students, but every little bit I got helped and I just wanna pay it forward. Wishing you all the best, praying for your decisions and acceptances, and can’t wait to hear how it all turns out!!

@kgiesch. Thanks for taking the time to give whatever advice you can. pretty nervous and I truly hope they can see my passion too. altho my stats may not be that great… @KayfutureRN lets hope we can both get in into at least either!!

@staystrong0 yes I am hoping we both get into either UC program! I just wished getting into nursing school wasn’t so competitive because I have met so many qualified people that deserve to be nurses.

@KayfutureRN yup yup i really wish it werent so too… spoke to a woman at csula and discovered that its also pretty expensive to have large amounts of nursing students so thats just another reason they have to severely limit the amount of people who can get into a program…
may i ask whether u applied to other uc’s for other majors or did you only apply to ucla and uci for nursing?

Yes, nursing requires a low ratio of students to instructors in the upper level classes, and there is a nationwide shortage of qualified nurse educators. (Colleges make large profits off of huge intro classes and classes taught by grad students.)

Colleges also can’t exploit nurse educators like they do part-time adjuncts, because a nurse educator could get a good-paying job outside of academia.

@staystrong0 I applied to UCR for biochem, UCSD for bio but I really want to go to direct entry nursing program so I applied to Azusa Pacific & Mount St. Mary’s I got into both of them.

@KayfutureRN ahh same major for UCR! congratz!

@staystrong0 that’s cool have you heard back from UCR yet?

@KayfutureRN I would highly recommend APU if that ends up being one of the final places you have to make a decision about. I went there for a scholarship weekend with 40 kids and 10 of us were nursing so they definitely prioritize nursing and always brag about the ranking and all the resources they put into the program. It’s an awesome place to learn how to mix faith with practice and while it was a little on the small side for me, you would definitely have a lot of friends and professors would know your name and pay attention to you (while at a UC unless you put in the effort, it is unlikely that would happen).

@kayfutureRN yup, accepted for biochem.