Nursing school applications?

<p>Hey guys, I'm a little confused as to which decision I should choose for the nursing schools I'm applying to. For schools that do have Early Action, would you choose that instead of Regular Decision? Or for schools (like Drexel University) that only have Early Decision, would you have to choose Regular Decision? Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Also, I just found out that my uw gpa is a 3.21 and weighted is 3.53, but the gpa to be considered for temple university's nursing school is a 3.25 (not sure if unweighted or weighted, but I'm assuming it's unweighted.) Does this mean I would get automatically rejected from the nursing school? Should I even waste my time applying here? Or will my SAT score compensate a little for the low gpa? My SAT score right now is a 1820 (630 m, 570 cr, 620 w) but I'm retaking it in october. Assuming that I get a 1900+, will it make me competitive for the nursing school or the nursing schools that I'm considering (Seton Hall, Rutgers, Duquesne, Uconn, Drexel, University of New Hampshire, U Scranton, Umass Amherst, Pace U, URI, and Desales)? Thanks in advance!!</p>

<p>Also, is 11/1 a good date to apply by? Or should I apply earlier…</p>

<p>As a general rule for colleges with rolling admissions (most, but not all, colleges) for Nursing admission I would recommend sending in your applications ASAP because once the college begins to accept students for Nursing, as time goes on, you will be competing with more and more applicants for fewer available slots. If you take the SATs again you can just have the scores sent in. I can’t speak to your question about Temple. You probably should contact the nursing dept. there to get the correct answer to your question. Unless you are a NJ resident I feel that your chances of getting into Rutgers-NB are very, very small because of the small size of the freshman Nursing class there and preference is given to NJ residents (it would be a “reach” for you). For most colleges (I don’t know the specifics for Drexel) you can apply for both EA/ED and regular admission. Competition for Nursing admission has been becoming increasingly intense for a wide variety of reasons. IMHO with your current stats you would have a reasonably good chance for admission to DeSales, Seton Hall, and possibly Scranton. For the other colleges (except for Rutgers-NB for the reasons I mentioned) IMHO you are at least competitive for Nursing admission but the odds are less in your favor. If you are a PA resident you might want to at least consider Penn State and as a longer shot, Pitt. But in any event get your applications in ASAP. Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>@mwallenmd thank you so much for your insight! So it seems like from what you said I have a little too many reaches… Is that correct? If so, should I just remove Rutgers from my list? Cause I feel like I’m applying to too many colleges anyways. Also, would it help that I’m instate for uconn? Thanks once again!</p>

<p>Also if it helps, I’m gonna be a first generation college student and i’m a male!</p>

<p>There are some colleges that have minimum SAT scores for nursing. I haven’t seen many that have minimum GPA, because that varies so much from college to college. If you are very close to a GPA minimum, I’d still apply.</p>

<p>Early action is a major advantage for students. The only reason to not apply to non-binding early action (if it is available) is if you can’t get your application ready in time, or if you are convinced your grades will greatly improve in a couple months. </p>

<p>Binding early decision is mainly advantageous for the college, and limits the student’s choices and ability to compare net costs. There are some (not all) colleges where it is much easier to be admitted by early decision - which I believe is the only reason to consider it.</p>

<p>Right, but for schools like Drexel University you can only apply ED or RD. Which one would I have to choose for nursing? RD? If so, does that mean that they wouldn’t check my application until the deadline for ED ends?</p>

<p>Also, how about Quinnipiac University? Would that be a reach for me as well?</p>

<p>I don’t know about Drexel’s admission policies. The way it works at most colleges is the binding early decision applicants are given a preference for admissions, but you must agree to go there if accepted (unless you can show later that it is unaffordable to you). If you apply regular decision, you have to wait for a decision, but I would be surprised if Drexel would make you wait too long.</p>

<p>Some very selective colleges make students wait until late March for a decision. However, most colleges have rolling admissions - the sooner you apply, the sooner you get a decision.</p>

<p>So this means that for schools that have the option of only ED and RD, i would have to apply RD right?</p>

<p>And if there is the option of applying EA or Rolling admission, do I go with Rolling Admission?</p>

<p>If you get an application in before the EA deadline, they guarantee you a decision by a certain date. If you don’t apply EA to a college with rolling admissions, they typically provide a decision within a couple months. </p>

<p>There are some schools with rolling admissions that provide a quick decision to students who have the best stats, but they make the students who are borderline wait until they see how many stats are left.</p>

<p>thank you @charlieschm! if you don’t mind, could you give me some insight as to my chances for these nurse schools? I really want to know about Uconn, since it’s cheap for in-state people and it’s my number one school. Thanks!</p>

<p>I don’t know nearly enough to chance anyone for any college. However, please keep in mind that at moderately selective and less selective colleges, it typically is harder to get into the nursing program than the general student population. Therefore, you cannot rely upon the standard 25% to 75% SAT score range for accepted students, or similar measures, for each college. </p>

<p>Thereare some benefits to applying to some colleges that are one tier below where you normally would expect to be admitted. That is because: 1) the acceptance rate for nursing is lower than for most other majors, 2) if you have some less competitive non-nursing courses, it will make it easier to complete the time-intensive nursing requirements, and 3) as long as you can pass the RN test, it is not critical where you received your degree, unless you are serious about higher level graduate work.</p>

<p>I actually am considering to be a nurse practitioner, so would that mean the college i went to would count?</p>

<p>The answer to your question would be: possibly. Competition for NP Programs, especially at top rated Graduate NP Programs, is becomingly increasingly intense as more and more BSN’s are pursuing Advanced Degrees and there are many fewer Graduate Programs as compared to Undergraduate Programs. For example, at the Univ. of Miami this year they had over 200 applications for only 20 slots in their Family NP Program (a success rate of less than 10% for applicants). At lesser “rated” schools it might be easier to get accepted but it is still going to be very competitive. The key thing would be your GPA as an undergraduate, no matter where you go for your BSN degree. So if you are interested in Grad School you need to work hard and maintain as high a GPA as possible. Beyond your GPA where you get your BSN degree might be a factor for some Grad Programs as well. Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>Wow… I see, I better study my butt off if I get into nursing school. And does being in-state and increase my chance at uconn? Right now, I’m really worried I won’t be able to get in to Uconn…</p>

<p>UConn, like most all State Flagship Universities, gives preference to in-state residents for admission (over 75% of UConn students are from in-state). So being a Connecticut resident certainly would increase you chances verses OOS applicants with generally similar stats or maybe even slightly higher stats. IMHO with your stats you probably are at least competitive for admission to UConn for Nursing. As I indicated in my previous post I do think it would be in your best interest to send in your application ASAP. You can always send in new SAT scores if you obtain better scores if you take the SAT again. They would utilize the highest scores of all your tests (in each of the three areas) in making their decision so it does not really matter if earlier scores were lower. They don’t average them out. Again best of luck to you.</p>

<p>Thank you!! two more questions (sorry for asking you so many) about sending my scores, would I have to tell my guidance counselor that I’m taking the SAT’s one more time and that I have to send them in, or would I have to tell Uconn and all other colleges that I’m gonna send them my last SAT score after I get them back? Or can I just hand the scores through collegeboard without notifying them?</p>

<p>I would just send them in thru the College Board unless your HS requires you to do otherwise. I don’t think you have to notify all the colleges of your intent to take the exam again but it probably wouldn’t hurt to let UConn know about it. Again best of luck to you.</p>