Nursing Schools for Average Student

<p>My grades aren't spectacular especially with a C my freshman year in bio honors.</p>

<p>GPA: weighted- 3.7
SAT: 1930 superscored, 700 math 590 CR 640 W</p>

<p>9 honors, 5/6 APs</p>

<p>I am looking at rutgers, UDel, UPitt, TCNJ, Drexel and Scranton... what else should i consider?</p>

<p>I live in New Jersey and money is a very important factor. Will retaking the SAT help increase my chances of a scholarship?</p>

<p>Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum as I am new to CC</p>

<p>Everyone should take the ACT in addition to the SAT. The ACT is a very different test, and many students do better on one than the other. The ACT is particularly better if a student is better at science than math. Many schools will base their merit scholarship on your highest score on either test - even if the test is taken after you are accepted. </p>

<p>I’m guessing you probably will not get into U. Del’s highly selective nursing program, and U. Pitt’s nursing program may be a reach, but your numbers seem fine for many nursing schools. I’d add some additional direct entry colleges in eastern PA, such as York College (where the sticker price of tuition is only $17K to $18K), DeSales University (which just opened a new health care education building) and West Chester U. (which is a moderately selective public u. in a great town). It is valuable to be able to compare net price among multiple colleges - it is well worth the application fee.</p>

<p>I’d try to do some volunteer or paid work in a health care setting ASAP. It helps to show you are serious about nursing and that you know what you are getting into.</p>

<p>Try to get your applications in by early October.</p>

<p>You might also want to consider Richard Stockton College (also a state school) in South Jersey. It has a direct entry Nursing Program and your stats would appear to me to make you highly competitive for admisson there. Unfortunately if cost is a major issue in your decision IMHO you probably would not receive sufficient financial aid at the OOS schools you mentioned that would make them competitive with NJ State Schools from a monetary perspective. Rutgers University has a number of Nursing Programs at a number of locations in the State so I would not limit yourself just to considering the main NB campus (which I understand only accepts 30-40 freshman students into their Nursing class, so it is extremely competitive for admission). A BSN from Rutgers University is a BSN from Rutgers University on your resume. Just FYI it is my understanding that the Nursing Program at TCNJ (which does have a reputation as having an excellent Nursing Program) is a “weed out” Program in nature, starting out with about 80 freshman students in the Nursing Program and graduating only a little more than half of them 4 years later (which raises a red flag for me for a number of reasons for a college with the extremely high admission standards that TCNJ has - just my perspective). I would also recommend that you consider the suggestions offered by charlieschm so you can maximize your potential options. Good luck.</p>