NYU Early Decision for Fall 2022 Admission

New York University offers Early Decision but does not offer Early Action for freshman admissions.

This year, the Early Decision 1 (ED1) deadline for NYU is November 1.

This year, the Early Decision 2 (ED2) deadline for NYU is January 1.

The cut-off time for applications is 11:59 p.m EST.

(Source)

All ED1 applications should receive an admissions decision by December 15. ED2 will receive decisions by February 16. Last year, NYU admitted 3,846 of the 13,842 applicants who applied early decision. The acceptance rate was 27.79%.

For more information visit the New York University page on College Confidential.

See updates and discuss results with other NYU applicants.

Are you planning to apply early to New York University? Why NYU? What questions do you have about applying early? Comment in the thread below.

To discuss other NYU topics visit the new-york-university tag on CC Forums.

Have more information about NYU Early Decision?

This post is a wiki and allows CC members to edit and update relevant information - just click the Edit button in the lower right corner. (You must be a registered user with at least Member level privileges to edit wikis).

2 Likes

My S22 applied ED1 to Steinhardt, intending to major in media, culture and communication and minor in sociology.

GPA: 3.58 UW, though the school said it isn’t calculating or reporting GPA and is letting colleges calculate it from the transcript. Grades 10-12 at a rigorous suburban public in Massachusetts; grade 9 at a private international school in Switzerland (we were expats there for two years; four years before that in London)

URM (Black)

Four APs: AP Chem in 11 (3 on the exam, not submitting); AP Human Geo, AP Physics, AP Stats in 12 (explained on the app that he also would have taken AP French this year but had a schedule conflict)

All honors or above otherwise in 10-12, except electives. Grade 9 in pre-IB program

SAT: 1400 (700/700); not submitting

ECs: Main is basketball — varsity 11-12, JV 10; club basketball in Switzerland, and summer travel program from Switzerland to U.S.

Co-founded architecture club (11), but decided not to pursue as a career

Summer academy at Boston Architectural College

Co-founded landscaping business

One-week internship at FIBA

LORs: History teacher, math teacher, prominent NYU law professor for whom he did a small research project last summer

Essays: I think they’re both strong. Common App is on basketball and how it both shaped and didn’t shape his identity as we moved around the world. “Why NYU” mentions his wanting a connection with his late grandfather, who went there, but focuses on what he hopes to get out of MCC and sociology

We’re full-pay, though I understand that’s not a factor in the admissions decision.

Good luck to all applying!

2 Likes

hello! I applied ED1 to Steinhardt for Vocal Performance with a Music Theatre concentration :’)

GPA: 3.93 UW/4.57 W

8 APs: Bio (4) Lang (5) Environmental (5) APUSH (5) Music Theory (5). I’m taking calc ab, world, and lit this year

34 ACT (35 English, 31 math, 36 reading, 34 science)

my main ec was theater (both in school, at community theaters, and some regional theater) and music (competitive pianist and vocalist). Other music things: I co-founded a music non profit, and I teach piano and cello to young students. I also interned on a congressional campaign last fall, and I interned for a local newspaper my freshman year. I also did a summer music theater program at Steinhardt when I was going into my senior year.

LOR: my English teacher wrote mine : )

Essays: I think (and hope hahaha) that they’re strong! my common app essay was about growing up with severe ADHD and how taking piano lessons helped me overcome a lot of the struggles I had being neurodivergent, and then using what I learned through that experience to help my piano students nearly ten years later. My Why NYU was about the program’s balance between academics and music (which is really important considering the fact that most BFA MT programs have barely any academics) and the accelerated music education dual degree program. best of luck to everyone applying !!!

5 Likes

Well, seeming like you and my son are the only NYU ED applicants represented on CC this year — should be easy for you both to get in! :joy:

1 Like

has anyones buttons disappeared on the portal

1 Like

No:( has yours? I know people thought that was an indicator in past years

A little nerve racking that like no applying class of 2026 have replied to this :confounded:
I might as well put my stats in and hope for the best even though they’re nothing compared to y’alls lol
I applied ED1 (Obviously lol) for Tisch majoring in Photography
GPA: 4.4
4 APs: AP Lang (4), taking AP Psych, AP Art, and AP Lit this year
Applied Test Optional cause im a horrible test taker and got a 24 on ACT and a 1170 on SAT :sweat:
LOR: My AP Art teacher wrote mine!
My main ec’s involved swimming (15th in state), my small photography business, the clubs and honor societies I’m in (Literary Magazine, Broadcasting, SGA, NHS, NAHS, and Art Club) I don’t have anything spectacular like a Nobel prize or anything so I relied really heavily on my art supplement

Essays: I think my essay were pretty strong! I pride myself on my ability to write so hopefully NYU thinks the same, I wrote mainly about my rough upbringing and how I was striving to move past my parents poor decisions and my impoverished past. I wrote about how I think NYU and the location and opportunities there are exactly what my views aline with and how I know it would help me grow as a person and a photojournalist. (I was more in-depth than that I promise they were super generic)

If any fellow Tisch hopefuls are wondering what my art supplement consisted of, I focus mostly in black and white and film. My project was called City Desaturated and followed the overlooks of mainly New York and DC cityscape in black and white and how the contrast alluded to the unattainable standard of success that is commonly portrayed of the people that live in those cities and how a standard person of someone of a similar upbringing to me sees that standard of success and feels hopeless(hopefully that makes sense)

Best of luck to everyone! No matter the outcome, you are spectacular in your own right!

1 Like

I know! I’ve been reading all of the old threads. I’ve become totally obsessed with the “admissions indicators.”

Also your stats all look super impressive, but idk a lot about Tisch:/

Nothing has changed in our son’s portal, either.

I read that last year, if your portal said “no applications” it’s a good sign - obviously total speculation though

Looking at my son’s portal. Are the buttons that supposedly disappear the ones that say “NYU Personal Information Update Request” and “NYU Application Information Update Request”? And his checklist says his application is complete and lists various items they’ve received. The supposed indicator would be that switching to “no applications”?

And I guess it’s too soon for the housing indicator, where having DC in spring is bad.

The buttons that are supposed to disappear are the two that you mentioned - I still have both of them. As for housing, if you go to NYU Home (there should be a button to access that in your portal) and then click housing, that’s where it would say!

1 Like

Gotcha, found it. “No Applications Available”

Me too

Where should I look to find “No Applications Available”

https://housing.nyu.edu/apply

Thank You!

I see “No Applications Available” also.