NYU vs. Binghamton

<p>Hey guys. </p>

<p>I am really considering Binghamton, but I am also considering NYU. The problem: the price. I definitely am not qualified for financial aid for NYU so I just want to ask you: In the long run, does it matter if you go to a very prestigious school?
Binghamton's School of Management is considered a great school, but NYU is higher in the rankings. Does this mean that NYU will provide better opportunities and better jobs after graduation? Please be as unbiased as you can be. Thanks in advance. </p>

<p>I think that while perhaps NYU is better, is it $30k a year better? And I would say no to that, as Binghamton is a great school.</p>

<p>Thank you so much!</p>

<p>Yes, to be blunt the Ross School of Buissness at NYU will provide you with opportunities and internships that you may not have as a Binghamton SoM student. However, NYU is extremely expensive especially when you take into account the high cost of living in Manhattan. Binghamton students do very well for themselves, especially accounting majors, many of whom are recruited by the big 4. So unless you receive a generous financial aid package from NYU or have very rich parents, you are probably better off going to Binghamton.</p>

<p>Agreed with the rest! NYU has a great reputation but SoM is pretty well-respected, too. I don’t think the difference is worth $30k times 4 years. Also keep in mind the experiences will be totally different. NYU has you in the middle of an enormous city with no campus. Binghamton is more isolated but you definitely get that collegiate, campus feeling.</p>

<p>Thanks @rebeccar @sprinkles12 </p>

<p>NYU’s program is ranked 5th compared to Binghamton’s 113 (USN). One shows up in Best 10 lists and one does not make it into the top 100. In business and finance, the school does matter. But as people often point out, you should probably make you decision based on the full range of factors that impact on student life. The price differential is high but that isn’t the only difference.Binghamton has a clearly defined campus compared to NYU being smack NYC without a defined campus. If you love NYC and can afford it, spending 4 years in its midst can’t be beat. That is especially true if you are thinking of living there in the future. College gives you a chance to sample it. But many people like schools with a well defined campus and a more serene location. Check out how students proceed through the program. Do they like it and stay or do they leave? NYU’s 1st year retention rate is in the low 90’s but their 4 year graduation rate is only about 77% (the 6 year graduation rate is in the low 90s). That seems low for such a highly rated school. So, look beyond the ratings to all the factors that can impact on your college years. Also check ou t Business Insider for ratings and information.</p>

<p>OP you need to better define your choices. Is it NYU Stern School of Business vs Bing SoM, clearly NYU is going to be the choice. If you can get into Stern you are likely able to get into any business school and be able to get merit.
On the other hand, if you have your heart set on business school and your stats are not high enough for Stern, go with Bing. NYU in general is not going to be a major step up vs Bing SoM.</p>

<p>$65k per year vs. $25k per year. Both have fantastic undergrad business programs. NYU might be more renowned outside of the northeast, however, is it worth the price tag? I don’t think so. Why pay an additional $160k for the same 4yr degree? Clearly, Binghamton SOM is the better value. However, if you’re looking to stay within the city, then I would say Baruch is your best option. </p>

<p>In business where you got your degree is very important-NYU is top 10! It’s like saying why pay for Princeton when you can go to Buffalo. Except that in business the name is often more important than in other fields. Major houses look for name brands-top 10!</p>

<p>@lostaccount‌ I’m not sure what you mean by “major houses.” Which careers are exclusive to NYU graduates? </p>

Idk if you made your decision yet, but I can provide a somewhat unbias (a little bias) opinion. NYU Stern will definitely provide you great opportunities. There is no doubt about that. If you want to do finance, they have great relationships with investment banks. However, if you really work hard at Binghamton, network, and get involved… you can receive the same offers as a Stern kid. This year Bing has a bunch of seniors going into banking and S&T. They worked exceptionally hard, network, and made themselves stand out. Yes, NYU Stern is a great school and can provide awesome opportunities; however, I truly believe the same can be achieved at Binghamton… You might just have to work harder to seek these opportunities. Message me if you have other questions

If I were you, I would definitely opt to matriculate in New York University- Stern school of Business over Binghamton University’s School of Management, for several reasons. NYU stern students have direct, unhindered connections to the business market, which, in fact, is New York City itself. Job opportunities and internships are easily accessible and conventional enough to come by, with networking being a renown stipulation for NYU students.There are plenty of job opportunities because of the location of the universities. New York is the hub of several banks which recruit directly from NYU, and the university itself is acknowledged around the country, as opposed to Binghamton, which is strictly known in New York.

Because New York University is comprised of ten different colleges, each with specific discipline and major, it offers more options, career pathways, and other perks, including discount to museums, concerts, plays, restaurant, etc. In a nutshell, New York City is essentially the classroom itself.

In short, if you want a institution that is highly regarded by professional around the world, and if you enjoy the bustling nightlife of NYC, New York University might be right for you. However, if you prefer a traditional college experience, then Binghamton University should be your choice.

~David

Sometimes I wonder whether the real intent is to get people to praise a school instead of needing a actual answer. NYU’s business program is one of the best in the world. The undergrad business program is rated by NYNews as #5, Bloomberg #14, Forbes #23. P & Q # 11. NYU might have stronger students, better faculty, and such. But maybe that does not impact on bottom line.

P & Q claims that the starting pay for Binghamton grads is only a few thousand less than that of NYU though. “And the pay is not only good at the top-drawer business schools. Last year’s business graduates at Binghamton University, for example, gained starting salaries of $60,000–just ten grand less than Wharton grads.” I don’t know how valid the data is about salaries, where it comes from and whether the same holds true a few years later. Starting salaries may all be pretty comparable since businesses need to compete for the best employees. Maybe things stay the same a decade later.