Off Campus Housing

<p>Hello!</p>

<p>Can anybody give me any feedback about some of the apartment complexes or town home neighborhoods in Blacksburg? Are they newly furnished? Quiet neighborhoods? Loud during weeknights? Dangerous or safe? Things like that, from your experience or what you've heard from others.</p>

<p>There are so many options and places so it’s hard to generalize them all. Most areas north of campus and close to downtown are full of undergrads. If you go further south, the areas are quieter and cater to grad students, professionals, and families. But all areas can have a mix of anyone. Generally speaking though, the grad/prof areas are quieter and calmer. There may be a few places north that are a majority grad students, such as Shawnee apartments, but I’m not too sure.</p>

<p>Many places do not furnish the apartment or house, but there are a few that do. Not the best deal in my opinion though - the ones I’ve been to that do that don’t have the nicest stuff, and they raise rent for more than it’s worth. You’re better off going to goodwill or the thrift store, or the local furniture/big box stores in Christiansburg who will set up and deliver.</p>

<p>As far as safety goes, everywhere is pretty safe as long as you’re smart. I’m a girl and I’ve walked to friends’ places alone or with just one other person at night and felt fine. Most places are well lit. Sometimes people can be obnoxious, but I just ignore it and move on. The cops tend to drive around my area on weekends so I feel pretty safe.</p>

<p>My own experience: I lived in Foxridge for one year, then move to University Terrace (near Terrace View, Village, Collegiate Suites, etc). Foxridge was fine, but far from everything. It was clean, had decent carpet, no decal parking, etc. Nothing too spectacular. The included heat in utilities was okay, but when I moved to UT I found myself paying about the same as Foxrdige. My current apartment is privately owned, so it’s very nice and updated on the inside, but the building itself is old. The location is great, closer to campus, more buses, and closer to a lot of other things. It does get loud on weekends since people in my building and basically the whole complex (it’s just a circle of 11 buidlings) throws parties at some point. It can be annoying, but it’s college. Most complexes and townhome neighborhoods with a majority of undergrads are probably like this.</p>