OFFICIAL 2014 African American Results Thread

<p>Please, guys, let’s not turn this into that other infamous AA thread. Have we all forgotten the OP’s words?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I would also like to add. I come from a low socioeconomic-bracket. My parents make less than 50,000 a year together, and we live in new york on top of that. I never had a tutor nor have I ever taken classes for the SAT. I studied hard on my own and ended up getting a 2240 on the SAT (as well as my SAT2s: 800 on math level 1 800 math level 2 and a 760 on the chem). My brother who also self studied, got a 2330 on his. We are both white and economic status never affected us in any way. - The school I go to is so-so. They might send 1 person to Cornell every 5 years or so. Based on this, I believe that low-socioeconomic never had an affect on me (or my brother) in doing well. I mean come on, how much better could we get if we had a private tutor? he was 70 points away from a perfect score.</p>

<p>And that’s the thing. Outside of URM status, colleges have no clue in determining who’s well off and who’s not besides looking at a financial aid form. those who are obviously not well off on paper is one thing, but with those who seem to be doing pretty good, no one will ever know what they’ve been through. And yes ksarmand, i was definitely generalizing about that. but like i just mentioned, i have no clue. </p>

<p>it could be determined that by looking at income levels, it would make the most sense that Blacks from higher incomes are provided with more comfortability and space to pursue things that Blacks with low incomes are provided with and pretty much, those with more resources tend to do better than those without. but once again, you’ll never know the history behind the numbers. you can only judge by what’s in your face. whites, blacks, asians and hispanics all go through this dillemma with income that higher wages results in higher test scores, grades, exc. Sure, studies have proved this and to an extent, they have some truth . but there are always those externalities that come into the picture.</p>

<p>On a side note, who determines exactly who is qualified and who’s NOT qualified? take that into consideration. </p>

<p>Okay, I’m not discussing this anymore. Everyone has some valid points that I just can’t argue against because it’ll cause further stir. I agree with ksarmand, let’s keep this thread what it was intended for and just be happy with our results. we’re all going to college, and that’s what matters most.</p>

<p>Justadream92: I believe not having the money to do well is a bit of an excuse. Like I mentioned, my parents have struggled to keep a roof over my head making less than 50,000 a year (probably close to 30ish this year). Yet my brother took the SAT once and nearly scored perfect. I took it 3 times but still managed to do well. With out the help of private tutors and lessons.</p>

<p>andyboy; i didn’t blatantly say it was an excuse for anything. like i said, i used my resources efficiently and i’m proud of that. I worked my a** off in high school and no one should be thought of as less than someone else because of a test score that is negligent of high intellect. it’s obvious that you have also worked hard too. but it’s not an excuse when you have 2 working parents in your household instead of 1 and not when you’re actually the other parent; it isn’t an excuse when YOU are NOT the one working to put a roof over your own head and over the heads of others; or when you had to do some things you weren’t proud of in order to put food in your starving brothers’ and sister’s stomachs, like in my situation. i’m not saying this isn’t true for you, nor am i demeaning you. but perhaps, you had more time to study for those tests; perhaps you could’ve afforded to take it 3 times. i didn’t. </p>

<p>my .02</p>

<p>:mad: I deleted my post and am not about to re-type it since I have an exam on Baroque art tomorrow and need to study. [/wails]
Ahem. But do carry on the discussion.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I refuse to delve into ad hominem. But that’s a mighty cruel way of looking at things, monsieur (if it is mademoiselle, for I shall assume that you are male, then I apologize). In justadream92’s situation, he was acting as the second parent. While I’ve only had to do that for the few times my mother was in the hospital for an extended period of time, I still had my church members and my father (when he was able to come home) to help out. If you don’t have those resources, then you’ll be feeling your way in the dark. Not only is it hard, but it’s easy to lose your mind. </p>

<p>When you add to such a predicament money troubles, it’s a potent cocktail for failure. Having 2 parents, although they may not be high earners, is very, very different from being forced into a position of parenthood yourself.</p>

<p>I feel like this conversation is going nowhere. It is obvious to me that people dont get the fact that COLLEGE ADMISSION OFFICERS TAKE A LOT MORE INTO ACCOUNT THAN TEST SCORES and rightfully so. As I have said I did not use being an URM as a crutch and I worked hard to receive the grades that I got. </p>

<p>I do not agree with the idea that a persons family situation should not be taken into account. Yes everyone has problems that’s a part of life however some situations area lot more severe than others. Severe to a point that it does affect applicants grades and that should be taken into account. I don’t think you can compare teenage and school related stress with living in a shelter. There is no comparison!!</p>

<p>And that is all I have to say on the situation. I am not commenting on this subject anymore.</p>

<p>^Don’t all of these conversations go nowhere?
Affirmative action discussions = Sarah Palin’s bridge before it was built. :)</p>

<p>lmao…true ksarmand</p>

<p>All I have to say is that if you feel you should be given a special break because you are black and “poor” according to gov’t standards, NEVER GET MAD WHEN YOU ARE TOLD YOU ONLY GOT IN B/C OF THE SKEWED AFFIRMATIVE ACTION SYSTEM AS IT IS. </p>

<p>What about white poor people? or blacks who experience domestic violence but are wealthy? or hispanics whose single mothers prospered but never knew a father? EVERYONE HAS ROUGH PATCHES; ITS NOT JUST MONEY-RELATED. Nobody can blame their misfortunes entirely on their family background. IT MAY BE HARD FOR YOU TO SEE HOW A PERSON CAN STRUGGLE WHILE STILL MEETING “MIDDLE CLASS” STANDARDS, BUT BELEIVE ME ITS POSSIBLE. We all have barriers we need to break, and hardships we have to endure. Racism is so arbitrary, that they instituted AA to make sure that problem is taken care of. Doesn’t it feel good to succeed against all odds? without depending on another’s charity? </p>

<p>and @ just a dream, how dare you imply you suffered more; you dont even know andybody’s story? Maybe he’s too humble to parade his hardships in order to garner pity. </p>

<p>As I said before, AA has ONE purpose and ONE purpose only:</p>

<p>TO </p>

<p>COMBAT</p>

<p>RACISM</p>

<p>!!!</p>

<p>@ starlight: HOW DARE YOU TWIST AND CHOP MY WORDS INTO MAKING IT LOOK LIKE I’M ASKING FOR A HANDOUT?! are you kidding me ?! SCROLL UP HONEY AND READ MY POST! you’re clearly dillusional ! i have some words for you, but i’m above that . absolutely ridiculous. i apologize to the CCers in this thread for commenting on this issue once more, but i feel as if i’m being attacked and thus, i had to respond. </p>

<p>and you know what else? i could care less if i’m an aa admit ! that just gives me a greater chance, with a better position, in rising above where i am today so that i can return back to the adversity soiled streets of my impoverished black community with my Ivy League degree and make the poor kids stronger against people like you! some nerve ! disgusting</p>

<p>“We all have barriers we need to break, and hardships we have to endure. Racism is so arbitrary, that they instituted AA to make sure that problem is taken care of.”</p>

<p>excuse me, but for the last 40 years, african americans in general have seen less progress in comparison with other races with AA installed so don’t give me that speech because it’s bull****.</p>

<p>@starlight* & justadream92: Those are fightin’ words on my block.
Guys, take a chill pill. So you’re diametrically opposed to each other. Yes? Good. Now get over it, relax, and stop arguing on the internet.</p>

<p>And to starlight*, this is a thread I found to be pretty inspiring. I don’t believe that the OP IS a minority; he (I think he’s male) would fit into your economically disadvantaged Caucasian category. But they did some pretty awesome stuff. This post elicited an emotional response from me, and that’s pretty hard. Here’s the link:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/princeton-university/432489-all-things-i-learned-princeton-these-most-important.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/princeton-university/432489-all-things-i-learned-princeton-these-most-important.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>And in your post, you do make pretty valid points, but the TYPING IN CAPS TO DENOTE SHOUTING is a little extreme, no? Justadream92, another EXTREME CAPZ user, was not, imho, asking for a handout. He was just providing background to further add to the reasons of why he held his opinion. You extrapolated a bit there.</p>

<p>Im going to start with my disclaimer. Here it is… All I think is that. </p>

<p>I believe AA helps all minorities because of the culture “skew” of the system anyway. The system isn’t set up for any of us to succeed, rich or poor. Obviously enough though, if your parents graduated college then you’ll probably have more opportunities. I’m middle class by the way, so maybe im a little more emphathetic to that group. I do, however, think that any black family who can totally pay for college and goes to some elite private school should benefit, just not as much. Maybe a sliding scale would work? At the end of the day, there should be a reward for going above and beyond what’s expected of you. I don’t live in a terrible neighborhood, and my parents can pay a little for my college but obviously not all of it. If I do better than the kid from the poor neighborhood and we go to the same school is it really fair for him to get more out of AA than me? In some cases yes, and in others no. But I personally feel that it’s situational and unfair some of the time and fair some of the time.</p>

<p>AHHHH STOPPPPP. This is not the place for this discussion.
This is supposed to be a results thread and now it has been hijacked.
Start another thread before things get out of hand.</p>

<p>Once again, I agree to end that discussion. As much as I like to argue, doing it online and within this thread is stupid and I apologize to the CCers in this thread, once again. After sleeping on it, I’d like to make a mends with starlight and andyboy and if you both would like to further the convo, feel free to inbox me. </p>

<p>Anyway, any new news? April 1st is coming up so fast !</p>

<p>YEA BLACK PEOPLE!!! lol Ok…Let’s not worry about why someone gets in because we’ll never really know. It’s a mystery; be happy you got in. Moving on…congrats again to those who are admitted so far.</p>

<p>Yeah what he said ^ ^ ^
I quick the AA discussion a long time ago. Don’t be mad because I got in and you didn’t. Case closed.</p>

<p>So… back to the thread. Even I got off topic…as always.</p>

<p>USC’s decisions came out. Well a gripload at least.</p>

<p>so farrr.</p>

<p>columbia
u penn
cornell
duke (full-ride merit scholarship)
u chicago (5000 merit scholarship)
notre dame
u pitt honors (full-ride merit scholarship)
fordham (full-tuition merit scholarship)</p>

<p>soo surprised at how easy this has all been (praise God)…looking forward to 4/1!</p>

<p>and p.s., does any one else hate when ppl post their acceptances on fb?
i mean i guess its okay on may 1st when you’ve decided where to go, but i wouldnt, as it hurts so many ppl who didnt get in, if theyre really upset about it.</p>

<p>i didnt care as much when i got deferred yale ea, b/c i knew i had a 2nd shot, but still.</p>