***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

anyone hear back from REMS

Case is coming out???

Case Decision is coming out???

Case RD is postponed to Friday, not sure about BSMD.

How about REMS?

My daughter’s Stats:

Valedictorian
Perfect ACT
Unweighted GPA - 4
More than 15 APs
Siemens Semi Finalist
Thousand Hours of Hospital Volunteering and Shadowing.
She got 2 interviews and rejected from all others. Still waiting for the results. She applied close to 16 BS MD Programs. Rice Baylor and PLME are the only ones pending. We gave up and waiting for Regular Admission Results. Today we got the rejection from Washington University Undergraduate Admission and we can’t believe it. I don’t think GPA and ACT/SAT is an important factor. We met many students in the two interviews we attended who do not have perfect GPA and ACT. I think BAMD programs give importance to students with parents in medical profession and we are not in medical profession.

@BSMD2017 It is very disappointing to put all this effort (GPA 4.0, ACT 36, 15 APs, 1000 hrs medical related ECs) and show a little as output for anyone. “BA/BS/MD programs give importance to students with parents in medical profession”, I do not know about this.

BSMD2017 DD has similar stats and got rejected by washU. waiting for regular admission results

@colleg2017 The end result is not due to not taken SAT second time. 1540 is very good and it could be due to other factors.

@BSMD2017 I get your frustration at your DD’s results in BS/MD admission, but I do not think there is any reason to worry. Based on just those stats I don’t think your DD will have any trouble going the traditional route and getting into a great med school. On your point about BS/MD programs favoring applicants that have parents who are physicians I think you are wrong and it most likely comes from your frustration with your DD’s lack of interview invites. They may have just not seen her as a fit for the program or thought she lacked in some other area of the app, in my program there are 7/16 people who don’t have parents who are physicians. I also met many other applicants at other interviews who didn’t have parents who were in medicine. Your DD still has a chance at Rice/Baylor and PLME so I would wait for those two decisions to come out and hope for the best in the mean time.

@BS_MD2017 just wanna share my disappointing news
rejected from WashU with similar stats
affirmative action needed to have a second look
just my 2cents

My take on the recent posts in the last 2 days related to why some one got and not, related to interview or offer etc.,
Though every thing need to be good on many areas, it is not completely true that you need to have a research experience or need to have a solid test scores. Even if you closely study the 18 posts (sample count is low) in 2016 you will get the feel and can learn few things to prepare (for future students)

1. GPA un-weighted - Range 3.92 to 4.0 (almost 15 4.0)
  2. Test scores - SAT range 2180-2390. The 5 folks who are on the lowest end got the top tier NU, RU, BU. ACT range 33-36.
  3. Research - Only few had a solid and many had some exposure and many did not have any research.
  4. Few applied to 20 programs and few applied just to 1 program and still got 1.

I wrote a very long (may be uninteresting post) on BS/MD and here is the link
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1918819-prescription-for-bs-md-admission-just-play-the-musical-chair-with-a-twist.html#latest

Since that is multiple pages, here is the gist. There are 5 critical factors.

1. GPA - Key and try to be rock solid
  2. Test scores - Have a decent score (not necessarily perfect or even close to perfect. No need to take multiple times). Have at least 2300 or 1500 in SAT or ACT 33. If you are low that is fine as long as you compensate in other factors in a strong way.
  3. General EC/ Essays activities - Leadership, Research or interest in some activity (sports, trivia, club, music/dance, bowls, essays/prompts) etc.
  4. Medicine related activities / shadow - This is a critical factor and distinguishes to get interview.
  5. Luck - To some extent it plays a role. / Apply broadly if you can afford.

Here are few variations from the pool of 18 who got accepted and the reasons.

1. The 2-3 students who got in NU/RU with SAT 2180, got extra ordinary profile on factor 2 and 3.
  2. The 2-3 students who had the lowest GPA 3.92 had ACT 36 and very high SAT I & II scores.
  3. The 4-5 students who did not have any research experience either had a near perfect test scores or above the average in factors 3 or 4.
  4. Example for factor 5 luck (Don’t take me wrong. These students are extra ordinarily talented students. Either they did a solid research to know what a particular school is looking and it matched their profile or so happened the few programs they chose clicked, so called luck). Applied / Interview / Accepted / School
    1-1-1 PSU
    3-1-1 CWRU
    3-1-1 UConn - CT resident
    4-1-1 NU
    If overall not that strong, it is better to apply broadly (8-12 programs) since it is hard to predict.

@dualmd2017 you meant bsmd2017 - I do not share these views.

@BSMD2017 Sorry to hear. It appears all the 4 factors are very strong but still got few interviews only.
I don’t think parent profession matters. But it may help students to get into medicine related activities since some one can guide or connect with clinical folks since they are in that profession. GL with PLME and Rice/Baylor.

@dualmd2017 Posted before. Wash U and NU, if the students are strong (in your case and @BSMD2017 case it is true) but still not strong for BS/MD from their perspective, the chances are pretty high for UG rejections since they are particularly crazy about the UG yield (since they strongly believe the students may end up in some other BS/MD programs).

@BSMD2017 I don’t think parents’ profession matters. My wife is a physician and my DD was able to get only 1 interview: got rejected.

@BSMD2017 & @BSMD_2017 - Too similar ids :slight_smile: I don’t think parents profession matters. In fact some claim that they may think kids may be applying because of parents. Only thing I can think of is regional bias like they can’t call lot of students from on state, but I may be wrong on that.

@GoldenRock - Out of 5 critical factors, I think my daughter has first four of them including research in medicine with awards in science competition and siemens semi finalist. The rank is 1 of 900 students in a public school. If luck plays a role, my daughter should not have been rejected from 14 of them. I think we are missing something that other students might have. I met students with low stats who came for two interviews that we attended who have parents in medical profession. I also heard from one of the admission officers that medical school might prefer students with parents in medical profession. I may be wrong. Not sure what we are missing.

@GoldenRock, great post! I too don’t think parents’ profession makes difference in getting interviews. Indirectly it may influence how their child pursues medical related activities. It may influence their child’s perspective on medical field and reflect in their essays. Essays are the one area, the applicant gets to tell the adcoms why they want to pursue Medicine. It is their own words and no one can tell them what to write. It may have a great role in selection for interviews.
Another unknown factor is the recommendation letters. Most of the cases, we don’t know how the teachers or mentors have evaluated. In my DS case, we didn’t get to see any of them.

@BSMD2017
Perhaps, you daughter would be a better candidate to pursue an MD/PhD combined program than BS/MD program.
Your daughter seems very academic and is ready to meet the pre-med challenge at ANY university. No doubt, she will be a star student and will be a strong candidate for MD/PhD programs. She is almost too good for BS/MD programs

and maybe BS/MD admissions committees feel that your daughter would be better fit at HYPSM.

@BSMD2017 It depends on the school. Several students I met - with physician parents did not get selected this year. From my personal observation, GPA and standardized test scores matter a lot. Then the shadowing and volunteer experience. Having a parent or sibling who works in the hospital or medical field will help one get shadowing opportunity. I am sure some are lucky if the interviewer assigned turn out to be an acquaintance or friend of their parents. Those are probably rare cases. Whenever I do my shadowing, I have a diary and I take down notes and thoughts from each of my volunteer and shadowing experience. The Personal Statement and Resume are just as important. A well written and unique personal statement probably makes a big difference in being selected for aninterview. Remember the schools have hundreds if not over a thousand of applicants to filter through. All these credentials only get you an invitation to the interview. At the interview, I noticed the school blacked out the GPA and ACT scores. All the interviewers see are my personal statement and resume. Luck come to play at the interview. I applied only at 2 instate schools and I get invited for interview by both. My stats are excellent. I have no physician parents and I lacked research experience. I get accepted by the second school I interviewed with. I think I am lucky. My interviewers are very laid back and they like my honesty. Initially the first school was my first choice, but in the end, I am happy things happen for a reason. The second school is a better fit for me. I am really excited and looking forward to joining the program.

@BSMD2017, your daughter probably will get in the regular route with no problem. You might get her some MOCK Interview in her undergrad to help her relax a bit. Apply instate if she can. There is usually better chance instate than out of state in the regular admission route unless it is a private school. Then it does not matter. Apply to both higher tier and lower tier school. As long as they are a reputable university, an MD is an MD, an MD is better than no MD at all. but Good luck