***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@Bsmd-7 - We talked to students that are doing research in NJIT, NJMS also in Rutgers Newark. They said they use the university shuttles, tram or walk, depending on the season and distance, so we expect she’d do the same. Of course, my DD would love to take her car along. One of them now lives off-campus (2nd year MD student) and drives in, but he said they don’t need a car during UG and won’t really use it, so we’ll likely just have her use the college transportation.

@Bsmd-7 - I also want to call out that all these opportunities are within a half mile of dorms. The reason we expect DD to use NJIT tram/shuttle transport is due to weather. In good weather, she could walk to all of these. If you are familiar with NJIT and nearby opportunities, and have additional information to add, please let me know.

@Mom22DDs @Bsmd-7 Have you figured out meals at Honors dorm ? There is nothing but a small eatery outside the dorm (ground floor of the building). For other places to eat, one has to walk to the outskirts of the campus. Not an ideal situation. You can not cook in Honors dorm. The OOS medical school tuition fee is approximately 20k/year more than in-state tuition fee. The winter is not that bad. Californian can survive. Edison (little India) is 15-20 minutes by train from Newark.

@Mom22DDs I also got into U of H 3/4, congrats to you guys also!

Thank you @grtd2010 ! Like most colleges, maybe the dorm food is not great. For grabbing a bite within walking distance, there’s a Subway and a Pizzeria, and a few local joints nearby that were just ok. There’s starbucks on Broad St. that we walked to, and Grub Hub and yelp deliver to campus. so there are some options, maybe not too many.

Congrats @sundog123 !! Well worth the wait, I’m sure :slight_smile:

@Mom22DDs were you able get any further updates on students in UH 3/4 program having trouble with maintaining GPA/MCAT requirements? Do those going to Galveston have similar opportunities as those in Houston? Does anyone else have further details to add to this? Please provide your input. Thanks!

@sundog123 Congrats!!

Hey everyone,
Just a question. I recently got into the NEOMED BS/MD program and I already confirmed.
My question is: How bad do your grades have to be to get your acceptance rescinded?
Is it like straight Cs? Or a couple Cs?
Senioritis has hit hard and I have been hovering at the all b level (all ap classes)
Thanks

@Tenda11 One C might be okay but try and avoid two of them. I had a case of senioritis too last year but pushed through it, don’t let all of your hard work go to waste now!

DS got into UH 3+4

Congrats @summershine !!

My DS is considering UH HBS undergrad (4 year) program. Any in-sights on the level of difficulty in maintaining > 7.75 GPA?

Is anyone else attending Rice/Baylor interview tomorrow?

@Mom22DDs @grtd2010
I am following the NJIT discussion with interest, since my DS is deciding between NJIT/ NJMS and TCNJ/ NJMS. Some thoughts on NJIT feedback:
Re: OOS medical school tuition fee – since TCNJ notified that that OOS students can qualify for IS tuition before starting at NJMS, would think same requirement would apply to NJIT/ NJMS route as well.
Re: places to eat – check this you tube video about Gourmet Dining at NJIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlRk1j4VaxA and Menu at the Highlander Commons: http://www.njitdining.com/continuous-dining-stations/ and other food options at: http://www.njitdining.com/
Re: cooking in Honors dorm – Guess you cannot cook in the room, but surely in the honors kitchen area. Remember seeing that in one of the other you tube dorm videos.

My DD is deciding between NJIT-NJMS and UH HBS 3+4.

NJIT: Reasonable GPA & MCAT requirements, least complex BSMD (no app, no LORs or committee letters needed). DD likes food, so she checked with some of the current students in NJIT and they said dorm food is really good. They are freshmen, but they’ve still been there many months now. The student that is now in NJMS also said he had no issues with food at NJIT. Also, found links for list of food places on unofficial NJIT reddit, where they also talk about safety and call out it is quiet safe to walk to all these spots. Here it is: www.reddit.com/r/NJTech/comments/3w0vlt/what_are_some_cool_food_options_places_around/
(or www.reddit.comrNJTechcomments3w0vltwhat_are_some_cool_food_options_places_around replace * with /)

UH : no concerns on food, safety or weather. GPA & MCAT requirements not known yet, waiting on it.

@Mom22DDs Any other feedback/ thoughts from when you attended the NJIT experience day last weekend?

Others who attended, if you could share as well.

@BlessedSSD3Dad - wow, I just saw the youtube video on njit food, nice options!!

The reddit url on food options near NJIT is:
reddit com r NJTech comments 3w0vltwhataresomecoolfoodoptionsplaces_around
(hope that works, use . or / in the spaces.

We have a parents What’s app group for NJMS BSMD parents. Please let me know if anyone is interested in getting added.

@BlessedSSD3Dad You can not cook in Honors dorm (Kitchen) at NJIT. Student can rent microwave/refrigerator in the room. You have to walk to Highlander common to eat. Not convenient in winter during snow storm. No Indian food section in spite of a large Indian student population in NJIT.