***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@chick5 and @dadofd - From what I have seen, the GPA requirement is quite high for Miami. There are also tons of distraction, with everything from the beautiful weather/campus to living right next to South Beach. I have heard that there are a good number of people who fail to meet the GPA.

Also, Miami does have a lot of options in terms of exploration and finding other passions; it’s a pretty free-flowing undergrad experience. This probably causes people to back out of the program as well.

@chick5, I’m actually not at all surprised. UMiami is a great undergraduate university in Florida to have an undergrad degree from - top 50 nationally. The program gives you 3 years of undergrad (almost 4, and I’m sure if you wanted one more year of undergrad they’d be fine with that), so it’s not surprising to me at all that students find other great career interests/majors and drop out of the combined program entirely. Just based on the way Miami HPME (now called Dual-Degree) has been in the past, the undergraduate and the medical school curriculum are fully separated from each other, so students pay undergraduate tuition for the undergrad part, and there’s no investment lost if one were to back out of the program at the undergraduate level.

I believe the minimum undergrad GPA requirement once in the program is a 3.7, but this looks to be a cumulative undergraduate GPA, and didn’t look to be a major problem: From this thread, which is a little dated, all the way back from 2007 - http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/380881-university-of-miami-hpme.html

The current MCAT requirement looks to be a 30 on the old scale (509 on new scale) now, from @goldenrock’s post: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1903994-what-are-the-mcat-requirements-for-the-following-bs-md-schools.html, but the current MCAT average of matriculants is 31.4 now, so the Miami MCAT requirement has always been slightly lower than the average matriculating MCAT for all med schools: https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstablea16.pdf

Agree with @Roentgen The MCAT and GPA reqs are not that bad compared to some other programs (like Wash etc). So it is interesting to note the attrition. Though do not know the exact reasons, not surprised with reasons stated by above 2 posts. Because when my D and I visited (she did not get BS/MD interview but she got an interview for one of the top scholarship offered by them), both of us felt very nice. Don’t remember the exact details and the names/roles of the folks. But the way they organized the events (lot of students were invited), the kind of information shared by the current top students during the formal presentations and the provost/dean what he communicated with their current plans and future vision (out of the box thinking) and the flexibility they offered for students during UG was great. Also the lecture given by one of the top prof in bio and cancer treatment was great. Though hardly we visit few hours or 1 day, and hence the margin of error is high to make any conclusive decision, still by gut feelings, we both felt yes she will join if she gets selected. But for the same situation in some other colleges, we felt uneasy and in some places, she clearly told she does not want to join even if she gets selected.
So would encourage, just apply and try to make a hard decision with through analysis after you get the offer. To apply, Miami is no brainer unlike some other programs.

Just to kind of add to what @GoldenRock said, as I think this is vital since we’re at the beginning of the application cycle and all our applicants are busy filling out the application, writing the essays, getting LORs sent, sending trasncripts/score reports, still taking SAT/ACT, etc.: Make sure you have an open line of communication with your parents throughout the entire Bachelor/MD and regular undergrad application process. Don’t just leave it to the end, when you’re going thru acceptances.

I realize that people’s parents and parental styles are different - some are more strict or super strict, some are more lax, some are more hands on, some are more hands off, some are more micromanagers, some may not know anything about medical school or being a physician, etc. but like most parents, want to give their children as much love and support in this process as they can.

But make sure that you and your parents are on the same page and level as you are in terms of your ongoing thought process. If you have an actual concern or a red flag that goes up in your mind, for example, if you do a campus tour of either the undergrad/medical school, tell your parents, just so that you get some perspective or feedback as to whether this is a valid concern or whether you’re just being nitpicky. If it’s something about the particular medical school that was kind of iffy to you (and your parents aren’t physicians, or maybe they weren’t physicians who did their education in the United States, making it harder to know whether your concern is valid or not), you can always ask them here in the sub-forum (or PM), and we can try to answer it.

This is that so in the end, when you’re going thru acceptances (both Bachelor/MD and regular undergrad) you don’t feel like you’re ONLY accepting because of external pressure (or often times, internal pressure because you think it’s the “right” thing to do) and your parents have heard your real thoughts in real time on the program, BEFORE your brain goes to Cloud 9, when your judgement will be clouded (slightly), because of an acceptance in hand.

Miami HPME is a very great program! Another one that is very similar is NU HPME!

DS just saw the Miami rep yesterday and she said reviewed program will be posted sometime next week. And something about increasing mentorship…

@What???!! is the deadline still November 1st for Miami Miller’s Dual-Degree in Medicine program? It’s coming up pretty soon. A little weird to only give 1 month!

@Roentgen that would have been a good question to ask! Unfortunately it didn’t occur to ds at the moment. This gatherings are always a little awkward and rushed… I’ll suggest he ask that in his follow up letter.

@What???!! Or a simple phone call or email to them will do. I’m just surprised that they’ve held off so long on the Dual Degree application just to state they have increased mentorship. Are there any real changes like in the curriculum or maybe it’s a longer program now? I’m still confused how any program changes affect the application end of things.

Which schools value SAT II in humanities? DS took one today and he thinks he did decent and wants to send free scores.

@srk2017 not sure which subject test you are referring here. Boston may value proficiency in Spanish and it will be useful to have AP Spanish or SAT II Spanish.

OU program itself called MHSP Medical Humanities Scholar Program and they indeed give lot of emphasis on what students have done related to that, though there is no explicit requirement you should do this or that.
Also they encourage strongly students to major in humanities in UG, though it is not mandatory.

@srk2017, there is no SAT Subject Test in Humanities: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat-subject-tests/subjects, unless you’re referring to Literature or ones in specific foreign languages. Those Bachelor/MD programs that do require SAT Subject Tests usually ask for one in the sciences and maybe one in math.

Sorry for not being specific, DS took US History

@srk2017, yeah, that probably won’t matter as I don’t know of any combined programs that ask for SAT II subject exams in History. Just Math and Science.

@Roentgen - Purpose is to show he is not just Math and Science kid. He already took Math II, Chem and Bio. He likes reading about history.

@srk2017, again, it won’t matter, because the combined program in question specifies certain Subject Exams for a reason. It’s to show achievement and readiness in specific areas that a school believes is important, before entry into their combined program. No one usually takes SAT subject exams because they want to. In fact, you don’t even receive actual college credit for them (course placement is a different issue). Since the entire pool won’t have that History exam to make a comparison among peers, it would be relatively useless as an admissions metric, so it won’t be the “extra” that you’re expecting it to be, although it could come up in discussion in a traditional interview perhaps after which your son could discuss his interest in history. Hope that makes sense.

@srk2017 - Thanks for the explanation.We will send the score and see if any interviewer brings it up in the interviews :slight_smile:

@srk2017, my son just got UPitt GAP email.

@bpc2017 When did you apply and waht are ur sons stats

@bc2017 - My son also received GAP email. It’s interesting that they require application should be submitted within one month of receiving the application. Does it mean that different applicants have different deadlines?