***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Called Miami and they said the details will come within the month :slight_smile:

@rsmith0208, my son applied to UPitt in early August.

@bpc2017, is the deadline for Miami Dual-Degree in Medicine still November 1st?

@srk2017 @rsmith0208 @bpc2017 Yes, Pitt deadlines for BS/MD program is distinct for each student, 1 month after they notify and provide the approval to apply. But the UG decision and merit aid will is independent and will come shortly if you have applied in late aug or in sep. If I recall my D got the UG admission and full tuition in Oct first half itself (in fact Pitt was the first admission she got and that too with full tuition). But the BS/MD interview decisions will come out at the same time (irrespective of your deadline to apply) and that is very hard to get even for interview. GL to all.

@srk2017 Congratulations. What are your sons stats

@rsmith0208 - He has very high stats (perfect GPA and perfect SAT IIs). I can’t reveal more than that at this time. Looking at your posts, you are a very strong candidate as well. Hopefully, both of you meet at some of the interviews :slight_smile:

@Roentgen, The lady I spoke to at Miami said the due date will be pushed out. All this info seems to be dependent on who picks up the phone. So unless we see it in writing can’t be sure I think.

1 Like

@rsmith0208 In case if you are curious on Pitt criteria. Though they have given the convoluted req of "earning the highest grade point average available in their high school in the context of a curriculum showing the greatest academic rigor possible ", it is not that they will invite only if your child has got a perfect 4.0 GPA. That req puts students and parents on edge until you know 1 way or other. Just to clarify my D had only 3.92 when she applied and was invited to apply. So just hang in and see if your child gets the opportunity to apply.

Hey guys! I just wanted to post my stats so that I could get some feedback

Class Rank- not provided
GPA: 4.15

New SAT:
Total – 1480
Old SAT: 1420 (CR+M)

Waiting for Oct SAT results
ACT: 32

SAT II:
Planning to take Math and Physics in Nov

AP classes in junior year-
AP Calc AB
AP Physics I

APs in senior year-
Calc BC
Physics II
Economics
Statistics

Awards and Recognition
High Honor Roll

Extracurricular Activities
STEM club
Varsity Tennis
Participated in science fair

Volunteering
Hospital - 250+ hours
Scouts

Physician and Oncologist shadow: 80+ hours

Any chance to get into BS/MD program?

Thanks so much!

Do our first semester grades factor into the decision on whether or not we get ask to interview? I know the programs have pretty early application deadlines, but I wasn’t sure if they were looking at our first semester grades.

@Peony123 Few more data points will help. Is GPA weighted or un-weighted? provide un-weighted GPA, your state, your status (are you URM or Asian), your state (are u plan to apply for any BS/MD program or only top tier or middle etc),
Though you have a connection to demonstrate medical profession (shadowing and volunteer), your test scores (ACT and SAT) are average. No mention about Bio or Chem (either in AP or SAT II). Hope you have taken some honors classes related to those 2 subjects which are core for Medicine.

@MissfutureENT No one is going to provide a definite answer over phone or in their web site. Most of the higher ranked schools do consider for their UG since they selection comes much later. For example, Pitt will provide admission right away where as Northwest or Wash will provide admission later and hence they make look at your first semester. Same way it goes for BS/MD programs interview selection. Boston university for sure, wanted the 1st semester transcript before they announced the interview shortlists.

It is in your best interest to do well in 1st semester and ensure it is provided to all the colleges / programs you plan to apply. When semester ends and the transcript available varies so much. For example my D could send the transcript only in 1st week of Feb to Boston since semester ended only in Jan 25 or so.

GPA 4.15 (w) Unweighted ~ 3.9
State: NY
Asian
any BS/MD including BS/DO programs
Unfortunately no Honors OR AP Bio and Chem. Due to conflict with other classes, couldn’t take it.

Thank you for the quick reply.

@Peony123 focus on programs in NY, NJ and AMC, Drexel feeders etc. Some programs expect very strong test score like TCNJ.

Thank you so much GoldenRock. Any idea about BS/DO program/colleges and stats?

I don’t know anything about BS/DO programs since we did not consider and apply

@Peony123 I have a friend who goes to one of the BS/DO programs that is associated with LECOM. She goes to the one with Canisus College, but I’m pretty certain there are many other undergrads that are paired with LECOM.

Thank you Undecided3494.

@srk2017, did your son fill out the Pitt GAP application? For the medical/community activities, what should we put for end date if its an ongoing activity that will continue through senior year?

@GoldenRock, @Roentgen, any thoughts?

@chick5 You can mention it is ongoing activity; if the field accepts only date, then put april 2017 and if there is any notes/comments field, mention currently doing.