***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@RedFox09 - Seems like most of your medical related experiences are from India. Also, doesn’t your school weigh the classes? I think SAT II scores are also important. Are you targeting top tier or mid tier?

@lavender1999 - Congrats ! When did you apply to the school ?

anyone applying to PLME?

@BS_MD2017 I want to say early October? It’s just honors college interview. I applied p early so that probably why I got it earlier

@srk2017 all my volunteering hours are from america, i shadowed physicians in pa and volunteered in two hopsitals in NJ for three-four years. my sat IIś scores will be out soon, and all the bsmd programs I am applying to said that I could send them then. I am trying to get into mid to low tier. Thanks for your feedback!

@srk2017 My school counts a 93+ as a 4.0. So my weighted and unweighted gpa fall into 4.0

Has anyone applied to GAP?

my daughter did.

My DD has applied to BSMD programs. Thank you all for this informative thread. I’ve been following this from the beginning, and this is my first post here.

Would someone that interviewed at CNU (California Northstate) last year be able to share their interview experience? DD has an interview next week.

Also, though a little late, chance her please?
Indian female from private school
3.8 UW GPA, 4.5W
ACT: 36 Composite, writing 10
SAT: Math II: 790 Bio: 790 Chem: 770
APs: 8 so far (2 4s, rest 5s) another 3 in senior year. All high school courses have been Honors or AP except for language and visual arts.
Shadowing: ~50 hours,
hospital volunteer: ~120 hours,
Other volunteering/community service: 500 hours (started county level grass roots effort, I’ve been told this is a stand out on her resume)
Research: Stem cell research, 300 hours
Other: athlete (2 trophies, one regional level win), will not be athlete in college though. Second degree black belt.
Clubs: Officer in bunch of clubs and also tutored.
Recos: She had a few recos , most from teachers, one from Community service. Counselor picked two specific reqs to send to all colleges calling them excellent - don’t know which. So, hopefully good.
Applied - wherever possible.

@mom22dds Your D has equal chance like most other competitive kids. She has excellent test scores and decent GPA (not to worry), has links to demonstrate the passion to medicine and leadership skills. With the assumption her essays are very good, she will get few interviews. Only very minimal traction on CNU in CC thread last year also since it is so new and many folks especially parents like me have a very high concern to send kids there - we did not apply though came to know about it during last cycle. Let her attend to gain interview experience and decide when the time comes in April end. GL.

@mom22dds - I agree with @GoldenRock. Your daughter has all the stats needed for top programs. I am in NorCal and my S is not applying for CNU. It started 2 years back and will take few years to blossom. I know couple of students there.

@4beardolls - My S submitted the application last week since they have 30 day rule.

Agree with you @GoldenRock, we also believe she should take the interview while we find out more about the program. The location is ideal as we’re in CA.
@srk2017 -Thank you for your previous post on Pitt GAP. DD just got her mail acceptance, and her face fell when she looked for GAP invitation and did not find it. We found your post clarifying it is sent sometime later, so she’s still hopeful.

@4beardolls My D also applied for Pitt GAP and she just finished her application through portal. So it is going to be some kind of long wait.

We just got the Pitt GAP invitation and DD has started filling it out. She noticed that each recommender needs to fill out a separate form and is a bit concerned.

DD had initially asked for 2 Science teachers, 1 English teacher and an outside recommender for recos. The recos were turned into Naviance and sent to various colleges, and we thought that was that. Now, we’re waking up to the fact that each of the MD programs require individualized recos, where each recommender fills out a form and sends along with standard reco and/or go online and answer specific questions about the student.

Ours being a small school, it turns out that only DD is making these excessive reco requests, She had the BU request and the VCU request already, and now GAP & HPME, and maybe more. The teachers are balking at this - what do we do? Appreciate suggestions from veterans and current applicants on this.

@mom2dds - Unfortunately, BSMD programs require additional work from teachers. Our school has lot of students and seems like average number of applications are high as well, so Lot of teachers have limitations on # of LORs. That’s why DS is applying to fewer BS/MD programs since he is applying to other out of state schools.

@Mom22DDs It is most unfortunate. The BS/MD application process is so complex and insane. The suggestion is your DD should talk to the teachers and inform them that she is applying for this special program and hence separate program office needs a reco in addition to the UG admission office. If the program office process is just sending the standard the reco letter, most of the time they are ok. But if separate form with specific questions, they may be reluctant. So you need to decide which school you want to include and exclude based on all these factors also. Also each program have so many variations like email, postal, fax, online. Miami and Drexel wants photo also. Only some programs are simple process but they do charge more like AMC. Again some schools want recos only from english or science teacher or counselor and that will add its own twist and drama. With little planning and good rapport with 1 or 2 teachers, you can manage to great extent.

For example, this is how my D managed. Her school is strict and will give reco only to 5 schools besides the UC (CA) app and Common App. So she can not get reco from her counselor more than 5. But she discussed and requested her science and spanish teachers and summer project volunteer to show mercy on her and give 5-8 recos. So focused on schools which need only 2 reco and not 3 and mix and match and managed to great extent.

Hi all. Would anyone mind giving me their top reasons for applying to BSMD programs? DS applied to Pitt’s GAP program (although reading here I believe he has the stats but not the medical exposure he will need) but I’m unsure what the major advantage is for him vs. doing well at undergrad and applying to med school. This may sound very naive but I say this as the wife of an ER doc who followed that path. Has it gotten impossible to get into med school through the traditional track? Thank you for any insight!

@Bulldog25 - For certain demographics getting into medical school thru traditional track becam very tough. I have seen several cases. That’s the reason my high stats kid is applying for few good BS/MD programs. Some are focusing purely on BS/MD programs for same reasons.

Thanks srk2017. I am just floored at the tiny numbers of accepted applicants and the requirements expected of them to keep their spots. Also it seems most programs still require an appropriate mcat score but no interview if I’m understanding?