***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@Zephyr212 if you search up SUNY Upstate cost of attendance, there’s a website with all of the tuition rates and costs for MS1, MS2,…

For the Medical Scholars program, there is a separate cost of attendance listed that you can see on the website itself.

Hope that clarifies your concerns!

The medical scholars program at Suny upstate is not the BS/MD program though, correct? That is a program for rural medicine I believe.

@sgup10

If you share the 4 colleges where you received an invite, we can opine.

Folks

Re: In-State residency status

States have different requirements on becoming an in-state resident.

Also, colleges can have their own requirements, especially related to scholarships, that may impact your residency considerations.
For example, for OOS students receiving Presidential Scholarship at StonyBrook, one of the requirement is to maintain OOS status for the period of scholarship.

It is always good to consult the college before changing residency statuses.

@sgup10 Congratulations for Harvard acceptance! There are very few BS MD medical schools considered top tier, HPME, Pitt and Case Western. Even Brown medical school is ranked in the T20-30. If I were you, I would not pursue other BS MD programs. You might as well enjoy the time and prepare to go to Harvard. Harvard is once in a lifetime opportunity! You can always go to these medical schools after four years.

@BAMDHopeful : None of the top one you mentioned has released interviews yet .
Only the “low” ones… :wink:

NJMS probably another 2 weeks , waiting hopefully .

@sgup10 - If I am guessing who you are correctly and cost is not a factor - go with Harvard. With your achievements so far and the drive you have, you will not have a problem the traditional route.

@sgup10 Being an Harvard EA acceptance, certainly you belong to best candidates pool. I would trade T10 med school for Harvard if BS/MD is my true goal, otherwise low tier BS/MD UG is not worth trading for Harvard UG, its not just academia but what else comes along with it. You need to ask a simple question to yourself, institutions (Ivy, BS/MD) you have on hand, which are aligns best with your strengths, long term goals etc.

@sgup10 and others

I know of folks who have let go of Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Carnegie Mellon (CS), MIT, John Hopkins, UPenn (to name a few) to join a BS/MD program.

Except for bragging rights, Ranking by itself is of limited value in medicine.

Choose wisely.

Correction: just checked the US News and Brown ranked 36th for research. It would take great deal of effort to convince me to give up Harvard for TCNJ. Glad I don’t have to make that choice.

@rk2017 - Thanks for your expertise and willingness to answer questions from the community! I’m sure that the OOS students to the med schools that are part of the BSMD category would love to hear feedbacks from people who either are at the med school leg of their BSMD journeys or whose relatives or friends are. The whole BSMD journey would only be worth it if the cost is not prohibitive since having a lower bar for the MCAT/GPA isn’t everything in my book. Getting drowned in debt or having to sacrifice one’s retirement to avoid debt for offsprings is much more important.

Hi everyone, thanks for the input. The four interviews that I have are BU, GW, AMC, VCU.

I want to go into dermatology, so I think I need to go to a high-ranked medical school to give me the best shot at this competitive residency.

If you all had to rank the following programs (that I’m most considering) on desirability (both undergraduate experience and med school), what would they be:

• Brown PLME, Northwestern HPME, Case Western PPSP, Pitt GAP, BU SMED, Rice/Baylor, GW.

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn’t mean to disparage TCNJ and NJMS. I’m very interested in dermatology, and I was just worried about their match list.

Congrats to everyone who’s received interviews so far! My dc went through the process recently at a lot of the BS/MD programs so I know how it feels to have to wait for those invites. If y’all have any questions about the BS/MD interviews, feel free to DM. Good luck!

I know someone who went to an Ivy for undergrad (not disclosing which one respecting the privacy) and then to a “low one” med school since he/she couldn’t get in any fancied name and is in dermatology residency now (again not disclosing where, but definitely not a “low one”).

In fact not sure, and even doubtful, if he/she could have gotten into the same residency after attending a fancy med school.

He/she is one of the at least 6 students I mentioned of knowing recently, who went from ordinary med schools (according to some rankings) to their top choice residencies (both field and place).

@sgup10 - Wouldn’t getting matched depend on your own academic performance and work ethics that would earn corresponding recommendations, assuming that the medical school you’re at is not surpar. I just looked at NJMS 2019 match list but didn’t see any issue with it. In fact, its match rate was at 98.7%, well above the national average of 95%. 2019 Brown match rate was at 98% and doesn’t really look all that impressive for an Ivy school.

@sgup10

Re: Dermatology

You will need a Step 1 score of >=240 and an average of 7 PUBLISHED research papers to be even considered for residency.

Choose a college / program where you can do dermatology research from undergrad.

Choose wisely.

@sgup10 S in same situation. Accepted EA to HYP Target and now several interviews BSMD . It seems some turn down HYP per the forum comments here, but I suppose that is a low #. Depends on your definative career aspirations…maybe at Harvard you change gears end up in IB on wall street or in tech and end up crushing it financially in those fields…tough call.

@PAdude

If you are NOT 100% sure of medicine, BS/MD is not the right path.

Investment banking offers one of the biggest bang for your education investment and it is unlikely medicine will pay you that much.

If your first motive is earnings, choose investment banking. Even better become a FX trader.

Anyday NJMS match list is better than Brown. Rankings are deceptive.

If aspiration can change from medicine than going to Ivy is the way to go. flexibility always come with cost both money and time.