***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@NoviceDad

although rankings are subjective still

For your post # 2347 you missed to rank WASHU I assume this is T10 school and should be above all

just like Ghostbusters movie series we need Dreambusters series :smiley:

Any experience or knowledge about Bacc2MD? Also any news about GW/REMS/CW?

Wow NoviceDad thanks for all of your insights–you have been so helpful.

Can you (or someone else) weigh in a more about the earnings in medicine vs other professions? I realize that some Wall Street Jobs can pay a lot, but aren’t these extremely risky, unlike medicine which is like guaranteed 300K+ (or 500K+ if you have a competitive specialty)? I don’t have to take out any loans (thankfully), so I don’t think the cost of medical school will be a burden.

Why lowly investment banking? Consider technology, you can even retire by 30 if you go to S, M or CMU (CS) and the like

@sgup10 - Professional poker player?

@sgup10

medicine is a hard core skills and there no short cuts .

Short cuts are in Walstreet or startups but again what do want in life. what is your passion ??

There are high school drop outs on wall street who do better than Ivy League graduates. Even Ivy League drop outs have done well which shows that you do not need academic or clinical rigor like medicine

@sgup10

taking the future landscape of healthcare into consideration, I am not choosing to enter medicine for its monetary returns. Of course there are pricey specialties like plastics, niche neurosurgery, specialized anethesiology, etc that will give you some moolah but not immediately. Unless one is truly passionate about the science of medicine, entering the field for lucrative means will lead to disappointment. Agree with all senior posters on this topic.

All - i called boston today; interviews are still going out and will go out till end of February.

Hi thanks for the reply everyone. I’m not completely sure I want to do medicine because of more lucrative jobs out there. What do you all recommend? I know that WallStreet and startups can be quite risky!!

Hi Brain, I have many close connections who are students in the SMED program. And they have told me that the program just continues to say that. The last interview date is in early February, so they definitely don’t call people until the end of February.

@sgup10

What is your definition of lucrative ?

I would say Harvard is the way to go if u do not know if medicine is your end goal.

@sgup10

There are risks in every profession.

As a general rule, you want high returns with high risks.
That may or may not be practically true. You may take high risks in a start-up and land up with zero return if it fails. On the other hand, you could be the next Facebook in the making.

Trading (Derivatives, FX, Equities, Bonds, Commodities, etc), M&A, Quant modeling - to name a few - do offer high compensation. You also tend to get fired if you make mistakes.

In upcoming fields, such as Artificial intelligence & genetic engineering, I have seen salaries >300K being currently offered to certain PhDs. That may change in 5 years.

Medicine offers stable compensation coupled with respect in the community and a satisfaction of doing good and helping people.

If you are unsure about medicine, choose Harvard and keep your options open.

@mi2019

WashU was not in @sgup10 's list and hence I did not include it.

WashU is a great liberal arts undergrad university and also an excellent medical school.

In Wall Street you get fired if you make a mistake; in medicine, you get sued, lose your license or even put in jail if you make a mistake. Risks are with every profession.

Well said @BAMDHopeful.

BTW - in Wall Street also, depending on the kind of mistake, you get barred from working in any finance company and/or get jail time, not to mention fines that go with it. And if you made the wrong bet, you may even commit suicide.

But we digress - this forum is for BS/MD.

@sgup10 - If you would like to continue the discussion on other professions vs medicine, I suggest open another thread.

@sgup10

Are you from Massachusetts and Boston in particular?

Nice we moved from traditional path vs BSMD to medicine vs rest of the professions :smile:

Is there data available on what percentage of the premed applying to Med schools from that Ivies like Harvard and UPenn make it to T20 programs like NU and Baylor from premed pool from that school. ?

I know a premed student from Harvard could not make it to BU medical.

Interesting article in WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/top-colleges-in-the-northeast-for-student-outcomes-11579104365?mod=hp_lead_pos13

Ivies are in top 7 out of 10