***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

We got RPI/AMC interview invite today. But the only available date is 3/2. I guess this is the last wave. Anyone got it today ?

I’m from hawaii

@sgup10
When is ur interview

@newmmdd
RPi invite by email or phone ?

Did anyone else here apply to SUNY Polytechnic as their undergrad for the BS/MD. Really don’t want to be alone in Utica for the next four years

Couldn’t read the article completely bcoz asking for subscription. But couple of names in there (and may be more?) stand out as known dream crushers, or busters if you prefer :slight_smile: for many pre med aspirants who went there.

Either they dropped the plans altogether or had to settle for med schools which they would have never thought considering going to when entering these schools to start with.

Yet another predicament for students in such schools, after having a bad undergrad experience, it is difficult for them to go for masters to recover and make themselves competitive again. They feel awkward going to the state school due to the prestige hangover and they can’t afford master’s at the same place, most of them spending over a quarter million already on the undergrad.

Know a student who is in one such top of the list above (tied). After undergrad didn’t bother taking MCAT knowing doesn’t stand a chance and has been involved in some research full time with a professor there for couple of years already now. Not sure when it will end and where it will lead him/her.

RPI-AMC - the supp submission deadline was just yesterday. Very curious how interviews have started going out already

can someone please list all the interviews that are currently out - we know of BU, NJIT/TCNJ/NJMS

“had to settle for med schools which they would have never thought considering going to when entering these schools to start with.” Only 3 T20 schools have BSMD program (I wonder why) and out of these, one is considered low tier for UG and the only T10 has requirements similar to traditional program. So by settling for BSMD most bright students are giving up (or stop dreaming) at an age of 18 due to the failure stories they were fed.

I forgot prestige and/or rank doesn’t matter to some :smile:

@brainbuilder02 Mine was as well. RPI/AMC release the supplements and interviews on a rolling basis, so hopefully they will add more interview dates.

@srk2017

You are correct. But students have work hard as going to Ivies as premed is not a direct ticket to Top med schools.

Have seen a Top high school student going to UPenn as Premed, in the end up doing DO.

And same way in some of the top BS MD programs maintaining 3.7x GPA requirments in undergrad is not piece of cake.

@mi2019 - There are no direct tickets to anything, people stumble at different stages of education/career/life but that doesn’t mean at every step of life you need to push to settle for least risky option.

Same student who ended up in DO may end up in top program for residency. As I said before an orthopedic surgeon my spouse personally recommended is a DO but he worked with NBA teams.

If you check last year’s thread (or 2018?) in detail there is a whole list of such cases someone enumerated from his/her personal acquaintances.

(And of course not all are easy schools like Vandy :slight_smile: )

I think he/she who listed them is a physician who practices in a location where comes in contact with a number of young people on a regular basis.

@rk2017 and/or anyone, please address 2 following questions for the sake of applicants?

1. What is the N for your data of how many HYPSM.. class size?
  2. Do you have similar N for success stories from HYPSM... class size?

No one here ever suggested that break your bank and take all risk.
Most likely who broke the bank doesn’t really break it to begin with because parents are capable of carrying that burden.
I am sure you heard drop out success stories like Gates, Zuckerberg etc
but again those are outliers, shall we advise parents don’t send kids to college?

To all applicants and parents, beware of outlier success/failure stories on this thread. Ask yourself a question, what are your goals and where you can fit (that covers risk appetite) best.

@rk2017 yes, I know who you are referring to and he was kind enough to offer same advice in a PM to me. Again, people tend to speak from their personal experiences. My experience is majority of the kids who went to competitive HSs and self driven succeeded in tradional path and those who didn’t go to competitive schools and then went to very competitive UGs struggled, took 1-2 gap years but still got into medical schools and they never regretted that (some parents were distraught though).
That’s what I have been saying consistently for last 3 years regardless of my DS’s decision.

All you have to do is show up for class to get As at Vandy except for labs (they check lab notes) unlike BU ?

@NoviceDad - It’s funny that you talk about every topic that was brought up then suggest another thread. There is no need to have multiple threads. People can filter through easily.

@PathophysiologyFTW I also did SUNY Poly, but I have yet to hear back an interview confirmation.

@srk2017
Interesting 
 you find my posts funny.

agree @Vitawat345 . When is your BU?

@brainbuilder02

Refer to my post # 2192 above.