***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Regarding BU, does the Spanish subject test scores matter? my DD has great stats except for Spanish subject test, but DD has 5 in AP Spanish.

We are still awaiting the interview.

Also, what’s a ORM ? and HYPSM? Lots of jargons I am still catching up on :smiley:

HYPSM: Harvard Yale Princeton Stanford MIT
ORM: Over represented Minority

@kush22 : so you also phone interview ??

They don’t be matter either for interviews or selections. The reason they recommend is because for a subject score > 560 or something, they waive the mandatory foreign course during undergrad. Perhaps for AP too. But this is all after the enrollment.

Got interview invite for TexasTech BSMD today. Anyone who go it?

Got an interview invite for UMKC BA/MD

My DC received the interview invite an hour ago for UMKC BA/MD :slight_smile:

UMSI invites/rejections just came out this afternoon.

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview invite today.

@sgup10

Who said it was bad. Even if I gave you that feeling remotely, I apologize. Some are great test takers on a given day and some or not. By no means it is a reflection of one’s capabilities. I am sure your awards are carrying you forward and gave me the hope that someone is looking at the awards, honors and accomplishments, not necessarily getting swayed by the SAT scores. Your SAT 2 scores are stellar! Good luck with everything.

@orm2020 certainly it is better in terms of available colleges (number and quality) that one doesn’t have during BS/MD. Medical schools are looking for top dogs in their profession due to inherent nature of profession, thus selectivity is very peculiar.
It is also better in terms of total applicants applied to med schools, very fussy math, let’s say you have X number of high school graduates this year, Y will end up at engineering/business/law/any other non-medical route (who are less likely to go to medical school), Z will end up at BS/MD. Right now all X can apply to BS/MD, after 4 years total students left for med schools are X-Y-Z+any GAP years from previous years. Certain that GAP years number can’t replace Y+Z total due to sheer size of eng/business/law/other non-medical route. On paper, number of applicants for medical schools from 4 years from now (traditional) are much smaller than current year BS/MD (direct) applicants.

@orm2020

Regarding Med school would take only 1-2 students from each college . Correct me …

Some Med school tend to take more students from their own undergrad @rk2017 can confirm

. T20 tend to prefer Students from T20 undergrad institutes and their own.

Again you can override all of these trends with good gpa, MCAT and EC’s

I know a premed from 246 ranked undergrad state school from MI getting admitted HMS

congrats to all UMKC interview invites, if you are a regional applicant, at this point you have 33% chance (you may want to double check some of stats I had posted in last 2 years on UMKC thread)

Hi All, please see this post regarding UMKC I found elsewhere on CC.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/908716-dartmouth-vs-northwestern-vs-umkc-6-year-medical-school.html

HighHope wrote:
When I was accepted to the 6 yr program I was so happy and did not realize how much excruciating pain I would have to go through after coming here. I should have paid more attention to find out the reasons why they rank UMKC medical school in the lowest tier. Not only the teaching quality and research are aweful at best and dreadfully deficient in actuality, but also the students that surround you have very low self esteem because they know they are going to the worst program in the country. My roommate got beat up by three other students for getting an A in a class. If you are a good student you will be traumatized here. Not to mention this whole area has an influx of more than 50 homeless drug addicted people that will cross your path everyday starting from the intersection of Broadway & Volker to everywhere in and around the campus. The homeless people come inside the campus in the evenings and nights and rob the students and vandalize their cars. Within the last few weeks two students got robbed on Cherry street and another three or four students’ cars got broken into. Incidents like these are a norm here. The 6yr program itself is horribly deficient in all aspects so the program was very close to being put on probation by the Association of American Medical Colleges. Don’t come to UMKC it is a miserable place. I now understand why it is the lowest ranked program and the lowest ranked school in the whole country. If you are one of the best students of your highschool class then don’t come to this worst program in the country. Best and worst just don’t go together. In this program your heart will ache in pain every single day.

For whatever it’s worth I am against 6 year programs and my DS didn’t apply 3 years back. One of our friends child is in the UMKC program and going thru residency interviews right now and they seemed happy about it (may be they applied bird in hand theory :wink: ). Please don’t PM me for info, I never discussed the program with them.

Dear Longtimers on this board…
Have you come across (or have you compiled) the Interview to Acceptance ratio for the different programs?
With all these interviews coming through, it would be a nice data to find out the chances of being accepted.

This post is a decade old! Chances are things may have changed considerably since then.
Also read other posts in the thread (there aren’t many) before drawing any conclusions.

I personally don’t advise a 6 year program even if offered by a reputed institution like Penn State / Jeff (used to be 6 yr till few years ago). But it’s one’s own choice after considering all aspects.

Its the demands of the UMKC program and the loneliness as well. It was tough during those years for sure. But they are happy once they completed school there (bird in hand).

@orm2020
Yes, they said it will be an hour long.

@starplatinum @sajju786 @Vitawat345 @2FutureBSMDsMom - are you all Regional candidates or OOS?