***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Question , in addition to required and recommended information . is it necessary or important to send additional info like art portfolio or research paper to this programs ?
@rk2017,@ GoldenRock,@ NoviceDad,

@“BSMD mom”

Research paper yes. Think some of the programs let you upload in their application or from common app. Or let you do so from a third party service for a small fee (5-10$).

Not sure if art portfolio matters unless you have some award or something.

“@BSMD mom”

Unless colleges ask for something, do NOT send any extra things.
ADCOMS generally do not have time and dislike unasked for additional information.

If they have asked for it, please provide all such information.

Thank you @rk2017,@ NoviceDad.

@GoldenRock

In response to your questions:

". Do the program has an interview before getting accepted to BS/MD and the interview committee includes a member from UConn Medical college?

1. When you apply during using AMCAS app, are students allowed to apply out with out losing the seat a UConn?"
  1. Yes, the SPiM interview committee consists of many people from the medical school

2. Yes, we are allowed to apply out without losing our seat!

Also, hello fellow SPiM @uravgperson, I know you quite well:).

@uravgperson, @Cherax

Good that you volunteered to offer more insight into UConn SPIM program. Asking this for the benefit of others who may be applying.

At the end of 4 years if one continues to the med school there without applying out, what will be their residency status? In state or OOS? Will you be considered in state having spent 4 years in CT irrespective where your official residence was at the time of joining the program? The difference between In State and OOS tuition for medical school is significant at UConn.

If anyone interested, Times Higher just released the world rankings of various universities in the subjects of Medicine (category : clinical, pre-clinical and health) and Life sciences. You may want to check out individual category scores by clicking on the Scores tab which is not the default.

@uravgperson, My s is planning to apply to uconn spim program. He is trying to figure out the other recommendations. What type of university/ medical school is it?
I mean is it better to have other recommendations from clinical settings or volunteer supervisors in nonclinical or research mentors?

Quick question regarding scholarships or financial help for those BS/MD schools. Do they offer it when they accept her to school or is it a different process that my D needs to apply for ?

I meant for 2020 

@ttb1263

Most of the programs will let you know around admissions time about the financial awards, merit or need based. Then your acceptance to BS/MD follows.

However if applying for programs like BU, they have special processing for awarding National merit finalists awards. If your child has scored well enough on PSAT to be declared NM semi finalist, you need to declare BU as the first choice on the NMF portal somewhere by March 1st week or so for BU to consider for their NMF awards (~20k/year for undergrad). There may be similar requirements for other programs too so you may want to read their websites’ financial awards section carefully not to miss out any such unique requirements.

@rk2017 Thank you very much for the detail explanations. My D is still a junior and just took the PSAT. She still has time to prepare but we just want to help her prepare early.

@ghytu12

Fortunately UConn is not stipulating who should provide. All that UConn says "
Two additional letters of recommendation, received by December 1.
Recommendation letters should address your current academic status, extracurricular achievements, personal qualities, and potential for future success in/contributions to the medical field and the community. Applicants will be asked to name their recommenders as a part of the application. Recommendation letters may be sent via:

Fax to (860) 486-1476. The fax cover sheet should be sent attention to “Special Program in Medicine.”
Email to beahusky@uconn.edu. The subject line should read “Special Program in Medicine Recommendation.”

It is in your best interest to get it from some one who knows your child well and can provide a strong letter.
If it is one from academic setting (either HS teacher or research PI/TA) and one from EC activity to give different strength. But care more about who can give better feedback than whether teacher or others.

@rk2017 To my knowledge, in-state tuition depends solely on your residency status. According to CT stature, you must live in the state for at least six months. “If you maintained a permanent place of abode in Connecticut and spent more than 183 days in the state, you are also considered to be a resident.” (https://support.taxslayer.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015705152-What-is-my-residency-status-for-Connecticut-). I don’t think dorms count, but if you get an on-campus job, file your taxes, and an off-campus house, you’d definitely be able to file for in-state before medical school. Again, I’m not a lawyer, so I might be completely wrong.

Hi everyone, My son is in the same process of applying!!!My question is about the interview 
 What will be the expectations and how can they prepare?

Received invite for njit undergrad honors college for accelerated program last week but nothing from penn state yet.

Received invite for njit undergrad honors college for accelerated program last week
,Received Supplement fromRPI/AMC today. but nothing from penn state yet.

@ghytu12 I agree with @GoldenRock comment. UConn is very lenient on who writes the letters of recommendation. Two of the same people who wrote my letters of rec for the Common App also wrote my letters of rec for the program. Your best bet is finding people who know your son best and can write about who he is as a person. Value quality over position (i.e. if you think your son’s PI won’t write as good of a letter as a teacher, get it from the teacher; just make sure you tell the writer what the program is and that he/she needs to reference a little about your son’s potential in the medical field).
I’m not sure I understand the first part of your question, but SPiM is unique in that it encourages students to try new experiences. If accepted, you have provisional acceptance to medical school, so you don’t have to worry about being a biology major w/a 4.0 and 528 MCAT. Focus on your other passions and try new opportunities—that’s the mentality of the program. You won’t get these four years back :slight_smile:
Hope this helps!

@bsmdmom is this for the undergrad only or also for NJMS as well?

Students / Parents:

Research this new development related to UCF before you decide to apply.

UCF joining the Drexel problem list.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/2164226-university-of-central-florida-som-loses-almost-half-of-its-med-student-training-sites.html#latest

If the student has the strong passion for medicine and so far doing well academically and got decent scores and taking care of EC and self motivated, join good programs if you get or go in the regular route. In some situations like Drexel or UCF, it is not worth. Of course at the end it is individual decision.