***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Found the following tool this year: MSAR. It stands for Medical School Admission Requirements and is published by the AAMC every year. You have to pay for the full version, but the free version provides a decent amount of detail, especially to students just starting out in the process.
Check it out here: https://apps.aamc.org/msar-ui/#/landing
Make sure you filter for BS/MD programs by going to the left column and using the dropdown menu titled “Combined Degrees.”

@ramen2020, only for Honors college. not NJMS.

@uravgperson Thanks for sharing the link to new comers.

Compare to any other list, MSAR is a better choice since published by AAMC and later when applying for MD you need to have an account.

Said, any list need to be reviewed carefully including the fine prints. Example, MSAR list 42 BA/MD programs but we know there are variations whether it is truly BS/MD or EAP or Hybrid. Also there are going to be some outliers for some reason or other. MSAR list did not include OU which is true BA/MD program with so much flexibility.

@bsmdmom , Did your daughter take the Casper test in October?

@rk2017 , @NoviceDad , @GoldenRock , Any advice UCONN SPIM vc U cincinatti ?

U Cincinnati is also looks like an EAP Program - also read from the program site that "Earn a minimum score requirement on a single MCAT administration (no super-scoring); with a limit of two MCAT administrations that will be averaged to determine if the minimum required score has been met. "

Does that mean the student can take the MCAT only one time?

@Somo2020

UConn SPIM is not accelerated, what about UCinn? Though both programs have preference for in state students, think UCinn is more so, my impression, very few students get in from oos (regardless of what is mentioned on their web site, unless someone can furnish the statistics for a recent cycle)

My understanding from the above quoted text regarding MCAT is that students in the program are expected to clear it in one shot. In the unlikely event of that not happening they will allow another attempt and take the average to see if the bar has been met. I don’t expect students making it to the program having any trouble meeting it the first time, but just make sure the bar is not ridiculously high as in the case of WashU. Also check if it the composite score that they are mentioning or set minimum section scores to be achieved as well.

@Somo2020

Agree with @rk2017 on both instate and MCAT.
Both are BS/MD.

UCinn selects probably <=2 from out of state.
UConn also has in-state/ regional preference.

UCinn gives you two chances to clear MCAT but it averages both attempts if you give it second time.

@Somo2020

Both programs are comparable. Both are very limited number of students. Cin has 7 students and IS or OOS is 3-4. That is pretty good.
Because of that, it does not matter whether they are biased towards IS. Anyhow the chances are less but you never know. That is why simply apply if you are happy about the location, UG and Medical school. Both are good, but if I have to choose only one, will go with U Cincinnati.

Unfortunately their website is not giving clear details on MCAT. So contact them.
It appears they may say, it has to be same or above the previous year average. But check it out. It is around 515 and 128 minimum. See the link below.

Are Connections students required to take the MCAT or to maintain certain a certain GPA?
Yes. Connections students must take the MCAT and score a minimum composite score, with a minimum score on each MCAT subsection. Students must also earn a minimum AMCAS-calculated cumulative GPA of 3.50 and BCPM 3.50.

http://www.med.uc.edu/medicalstudentadmissions/md-admissions-home/class-profile

@rk2017 , @NoviceDad , @GoldenRock , Thanks for the reply.

I don’t have any knowledge on the MCAT scores.
1.What is the Max score for MCAT( I ask this question since someone mentioned drexell requires 512 or something which seems to be high)
2.What is Minimum Composite score and Subsections?

@Somo2020

MCAT has 4 sections each with a max score of 132 for a total of 528 points.

Median score = ~501
80th percentile = ~510
90th percentile = ~514
95th percentile = ~517

512 = ~ 85th percentile and is NOT high.
Issue can be minimum score for each individual section - anything >128 ( ~ 85-90th percentile) can become problematic.

@NoviceDad , Thank you.

@gs2020 , @seapdx2002 , Per follow up with Rutgers, they confirmed BA MD is a separate from HLLC .And they asked if we want to be removed from the list ?

@NoviceDad ,@rk2017 ,@goldenrock Could someone please advise about Rutgers.
We live in west coast and can’t make it to 2 trips for interview purpose.(If at all my kids is called for BAMD)

@Somo2020

Yes, if there is a conflict or additional requirements with respect to BS/MD and any other program, withdraw from the non BS/MD program (unless they can accommodate via Skype). Why do you want to send your child all the way to some not so fancy honors program on the other side of the country?

Also I think Drexel requirement is now 513 with minimum 128 or so in each section. I would not recommend that program personally.

If the MCAT requirement for Cinn is 515 which is > 90% ile and it being non accelerated, I would recommend going traditional route.

@Somo2020 , Yes she did Casper test in oct.

@seapdx2002 ,@ramen2020, @gs2020 ,@Somo2020, @ashini, @screen321
and anyone else

Any suggestion on interview ? Has anyone completed any interviews this year?
What type questions do they ask for Albert Dorman Honors College at NJIT?

Thank you.

@Somo2020

You can explore following 2 options with Rutgers

1. Ask for a SKYPE or ZOOM interview
  2. Ask to change the interview date around the BS/MD date, so that it can be accommodated in 1 visit.

If they disagree to both, and if Honors college is not a requirement for BS/MD, as @rk2017 mentioned, withdraw from Honors college.

@BSMD mom
Regarding NJIT Honors College interview - D attended interview last year (online). She mentioned it was a typical why medicine type of discussion. Her application was later forwarded to NJMS but didn’t get an interview from NJMS.

@NoviceDad , Thank you.
@rk2017 , @Novicedad, @goldenrock

Today D got admission to Both ASU and UOFA with full tuition(except boarding) for UG Honors college.

Now we are debating is the time and money even worth applying to U Cincinnati and U Conn. Since both require MCAT like the traditional route?

Thank you So much @RiceBits

@Somo2020

As I had mentioned earlier most of the direct route programs have MCAT requirement of several points (6-10) and several percentile (>= 15% ile) lower compared to their traditional route matriculants. The idea is to give relatively stress free and lot of academic and extra curricular freedom during undergrad. So MCAT need not be the reason to choose or reject applying to a program.
Consider others as it may suit your needs and tastes, such as financial, reputation, location/proximity, climate, quality of undergrad experience, academic options etc.